U2 selector ring components

sp5it

Enlightened
sp5it said:
But how to remove those black "something" emitter is glued to. Pull up or replace emitter inside U2.
I mean part marked with red arrow.

Mike
Anyone?
Mike

Illum

Flashaholic
65535 said:
I was curious to see teh inner makings of it. My quesiton is yes how to remove the donut as somebody already askign assuming you are the answer man.

Im not a U2 owner so feel free to kick me off this thread...but from what I can see from my magled's performance between flood [donut] and spot, I feel if the "black spacer" under the emitter is removed it may help to recess the focus point and maybe help with closing the donut?:ohgeez::whistle:

65535 said:
How hard would it be to fit a cree emitter in there?
then you'll need to modify the regulator and the whole shabang...probably not too good of a modding platform for cree...:candle:

btw: grnamin, :kewlpics::goodjob:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
grnmn, you thinking about putting in a cree? HOW DID YOU GET THE HEAD OPEN?

-David

grnamin

Enlightened
Thank you, all. Mike, the heatsink itself can be lifted off. It also seems to be secured with thermal grease only. I ended up using Zap-A-Gap to put it back into place after i replaced the LED. I think the reflector was what kept the heatsink in place.

cheapo said:
grnmn, you thinking about putting in a cree? HOW DID YOU GET THE HEAD OPEN?

-David

David, someone else already put a Cree in his U2. I'm not sure if he posted about it. I don't know if I should say who it is. I'll wait for him to chime in. :) Here's how to open up the head:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139138&highlight=u2

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
Well I reopened my U2 and after I got it opened all up and such I put molykote on the threads so it'll be a piece of cake when the goodies show up. Opening up the tail on mine was so easy I almost did it by accident. I never knew that part was simply threaded on like that. The head was another story. That was a PITA. I accidentally cracked my selector ring in the process. Trying to decide if I should contact SF to see if they'll sell me another as it was entirely my fault. Anyway I stumbled on something better than inner tube. It's called splicing tape. It's used for some sort of electrical work. I think it was made by 3M. A friend pulled it out of his locker at work and let me use some. You can get a really good grip with that stuff. I also learned that the cuffs of some good leather gloves work great for the pads needed for the vise grips. I also learned that the vise grips with some curve in the jaws are a must. The straight jawed ones just will not grip.

Oh well... waiting for my SSC P4 and neko-tail to show up. Then, the real fun can begin. So should I ask SF?

Last edited:

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
Could you post pictures of what you had to modify to get the SSC P4 in your U2? I just spent some time with some digital calipers, my U2 and the spec sheet for the P4 and found that it seems to be the exact same size as the Lux V if not extremely close.

Luna

Enlightened
Aepoc said:
Not so sure... I just tried taking mine apart and I am clueless as to how to get the selector ring off. I think I am going to need to get some strap wrenches...

Why would you if you are not refinishing it?

Aepoc

Enlightened
When I first bought the light I had no intentions of doing anything to it. Now that I don't carry it around much, I would like to upgrade. Maybe then it would be an EDC again...

I wouldn't try taking the ring off if i didn't have intentions of seouling it.