Ultratac K18 (XP-G2 S2, 1xAAA/10440, side switch) flashlight review: RUNTIMES+

Capolini

Banned
Hi there, nice to meet you guys. I have a different opinion on Trustfire, they are definitely not in the same league as Ultrafire. Have you actually owned one? In my case, i have five Trustfire 18650 3000mah, tested the capacity and it's all acceptable at 2800-2900 mah. They work just fine on my pure 3000+ lumens flashlight with decent runtimes. The protection circuit seems to work also.
To further prove my point, just try to randomly order an Ultrafire and Trustfire. With Ultrafire, you'll get 99% crap battery with 500mah max capacity on 18650, or 150mah on 16340. On the contrary all my Trustfire purchase have been very pleasing for the price. :D

Yes I have tried them in the beginning of my hobby when I did not know any better!

I choose to use QUALITY brand names like PANASONIC, LG,SONY,SAMSUNG AND SANYO.

You will find that most people will choose the safer/better quality/realistic mAh batteries that I listed.

:welcome:

Flashh

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of these off eBay. After limited use on my wife's keychain the button is stuck and it doesn't work anymore. We would have used it about 5 times in the 2 months we have had it. No refund just disappointed.
Letting everybody know that quality can be missing. :thumbsdow

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a standby drain due to the electronic switch, which is reasonable at just under 9 months for an Eneloop Pro AAA. Locking out the light electronically should lower this drain and allow a battery to last longer. The stainless steel build tested here cannot be physically locked out, as anodizing is not possible. However, I expect the aluminum build would have this feature.
As we are hearing, the alu build can be physically locked out yes.

Unlike drivers of other 1×AAA SS (or Titanium) flashlights, on the K18 SS the driver disc is not electrically insulated against the SS head. :huh:Actually this electrical situation is due to the installed/screwed brass retainer crown which is to hold the driver disc in place AND serve as physical reverse polarity protection (RPP) at the same time.

Today i wanna talk about the RPP (and next time i'll talk about the standby current drain).

The stepped brass retainer ring ("crown", "spacer") has an inner diameter of Ø10.00mm, easy to measure. In theory, it spaces AAA battery bottoms ~1.0mm away from contacting the metal(+)contact of the driver disc; on the 2019 SS model the clearance is more like ~0.5mm because it has a raised metal(+)contact. There are two potential issues with this idea/design of physical RPP, depending on the AAA/10440 battery model you insert reversely.

case1) If the battery is thicker/wider than Ø10.00mm AND the battery bottom is bare, i.e. not partially covered by heat shrink wrap/tubing/sleeve material or alike, then the reversely inserted battery gets short-circuited, as soon as the SS body touches the SS head. Shorting a fully charged battery can be hazardous, bye-bye battery:poof: A commercial example would be your standard Eneloop AAA battery, it has a bare bottom. Another commercial example would be blue unprotected UltraFire TR10440 (600mAh 3.6V).

case2) If the battery diameter is less than Ø10.00mm, say Ø9.8mm, then the battery bottom will(!) contact some part of the driver disc and eventually, depending on the battery model and the K18 SS version, electrically contact the metal(+)contact in the center of the driver disc, thus leading to an established reverse battery connection, bye-bye driver :poof: A commercial example would be (fake?) Panasonic AAA Alkaline, which comes in at Ø9.65mm om*g. So yes —and feel free to check with all AAA/10440-sized batteries in your household— batteries slimmer than Ø10.00mm do exist and that is a reason of concern.

My point being, only because the K18 SS is advertised as having "Reverse polarity protection", in general you should NOT just go ahead and mindlessly insert any AAA/10440 battery reversely for fooling around or testing/trying to understand the RPP. The good news is that some/many batteries, for example the originally included noname blue unprotected 10440 battery, has a thickness of Ø10.2mm AND not a bare bottom, so neither case1 nor case2 comes into effect yay! :naughty:

The "unnecessary" mod. There's nothing much we can do to mitigate case1, hopefully you realize fast enough when you have reverse-installed a blue UF10440 or Eneloop AAA; at least you didn't wreck the driver haha. But we can eliminate case2 by installing a plastic spacer/donut/ring, as we did for the LD01 SS before:
img_20201024_18395735j7c.jpg

Here a modding advantage, the conductive brass retainer ring serves as centering aid for our purpose nice thanks and we can :thumbsup: friction press-fit the plastic spacer without the need of glues, adhesives, or tapes, hooray:
img_20201024_190946s1kcb.jpg

Shortcoming:
Ultratac's idea of physical RPP is a ~1.0mm (~0.5mm) spacing brass ring and maybe they should have tested an inner diameter of Ø8.50mm to mitigate case2. Ch*nese batteries with w*ld (+)pole assemblies exist, see photo above, so making a spacer out of brass isn't the best idea to start with, because a reversely installed battery could get easily shorted. The advantage of brass is that it is permanent material/installation unlike a taped foam donut lol, and that we can use it for press-fitting a plastic spacer (to mitigate case2). In the end imho it is better to have this brass solution (which can be enhanced with the shown plastic mod) than not to have any physical RPP. Just keep in mind that the original K18 SS RRP is not watertight (see case2) and that case1 is still a potential hazard. By comparison, my modded LD01 SS has no potential issues with case1 or case2 but it has a realistic other potential issue, namely losing the plastic donut spacer because of failing (weak/strong) adhesive! On the K18 SS, you will never lose the press-fitted plastic donut spacer and you will never lose the brass ring, because they are "perma-installed". Maybe that was the main reason why Ultratac decided for a brass solution instead of a foam donut solution. However, imho they should have tried brass rings with 8.00, 8.50, 9.00, and 9.50mm diameter, because obviously 10.00mm wasn't the optimal choice.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stand-by:

As on/off and mode switching is controlled by an electronic switch, there is going to be a standby drain.

On my DMM, the current fluctuates initially, but seems to settle down to around 0.14mA. For a 900mA Eneloop Pro, that would translate into just under 9 months before a battery would be fully drained.

It is likely that the electronic lock-out mode would lower this further, but I haven't tested it.
I have tested it: the standby current drain is the same, no matter if the light is simply off (ON » longpress button » OFF) or electronically locked out (OFF » doublepress button » electronically secured OFF). The drain depends on battery chemistry (i.e. voltage level) and charge level (i.e. voltage). That is, quoting random stuff like "standby drain of 6.7mA (0.0067A) when light is off or locket out", "wow the new head (2016) has 0.017mA standby current, nice!", and "my mint K18-2019 has 0.031mA standby drain (0.000031A), which is very good" isn't helpful since the battery chemistry is unclear and the charge level is unclear from those statements.

I have at least four K18 SS retail units in my collection incl. a ForoL special edition. Imho it's still "the best" 10440-capable 1xAAA actual keychain carry flashlight, and I am meaning the K18 SS version in particular, not the various K18 alu versions. To be fair, only very few 1xAAA flashlights exist which officially support 10440, so the competition is very sparse anyway. It was a shame that one of my early units "broke" after 3 years, 6.7mA was absolutely inacceptable, so i retired that unit; moreover, the black rubber button was consumed yumm. On my current K18 SS (has red driver board) the black rubber button is starting to get consumed too; that's why later K18's were released with metal buttons. Good to know that the black driver board was built to last, and its standby current is pretty low too; I just hope that i will never have to put my nice SS 2019-unit to use, to me it's a collection piece which i want to keep in mint condition.

Here my helpful reference table of standby current drains:

all values in [mA]10440 (4.20V)10440 (3.27V)Eneloop AAA (1.50V)Eneloop AAA (1.28V)Eneloop AAA (1.05V)notes
K18 SS (2016) unit#10.0160.0240.1290.25233red driver
K18 SS (2016) unit#20.0170.0280.1380.27133ForoL edition, red driver
K18 SS (2016) unit#36.7
(0.017 wth)
n/a
(0.037 wth)
(0.185 wth)
40/45
(0.700 wth)
30defective red driver
K18 SS (2019)0.0310.0400.2000.37433black driver

Conclusion:
The standby current drain is nicely low (and you should compare your own measurements with the above table, I am not sure where selfbuilt's quoted measurement falls into :shrug: ) and nothing of concern, especially with 10440 chemistry. If you measure a higher standby current on a production unit with a red driver disc, it could be an indication of a failing capacitor (repair is possible: the head screws apart right above the knurled section/clever invisible seam, no loctite was used during assembly). Production units with a black driver disc should not develop this electronic component failure because the company had improved the electronics build with that release. Too bad for latecomers, the K18 SS 2019 does not seem to be in production #thankswuhan anymore (the alu version might still be tho). Note that on an overdischarged Eneloop AAA the circuit falls out of regulation, the current drain steps up to a higher rate level :eek:, sucking every last bit of juice from your NiMH battery. So you better run a well-charged Eneloop AAA in the light and not let it discharge too much. Even better, just use a 10440 instead!

EDIT: loool :candle: unit#3 was the retired unit because it had developed high standby drain. earlier today i had measured 53mA and 40mA on Eneloop, i.e. very high values signalling an electronic defect. I took current measurements for the 10440 (3.27V) column last. when i got to unit#3, the drain was 0.037mA only, surprisingly. so i took re-measurements for the row and got 0.017mA, 0.185mA, and 0.700mA altering with 45mA, funny! looks like unit#3 has an electronic hiccup and is "now okay again", temporarily. lol. because of that funny history, unfortunately i can't trust unit#3 to become a reliable daily driver again, therefore it's correct to leave that unit retired. If i ever needed spare parts/repair parts for unit#1, i could disassemble unit#3 for that purpose. failing red drivers were a topic 2 years ago, so i better be prepared. if my unit#1 becomes unreliable/defective, i'll update this thread with a report and photos.

Last edited: