Underwater LED flashlight - spearing fish project.

p67

Newly Enlightened
After a waterproof flashlight for an under water light for spearing flounder.

The light will be mounted on a pole.

The flashlight is only a donor. I will take out the battery pack and run a wire thru the tailcap section with a gland. Wire will run the the battery pack and have an inline switch on the pole handle.

MUST be flood [not spot].
Red LED would be nicer but again needs to be flood and grunty enough to light up underwater. Water I have noticed sucks up a lot of light.

Doesn't have to be hugely powerful, I dont want to light up the ocean just a wide area 10-15ft in front of me max. Too much light out in front and it will just spook the fish I have found.

Looking at the DX site for starter for a waterproof ultrafire donor. Could even be a bike headlamp.

Ideas?

Last edited:

Empire

Banned
After a waterproof flashlight for an under water light for spearing flounder.

The light will be mounted on a pole.

The flashlight is only a donor. I will take out the battery pack and run a wire thru the tailcap section with a gland. Wire will run the the battery pack and have an inline switch on the pole handle.

MUST be flood [not spot].
Red LED would be nicer but again needs to be flood and grunty enough to light up underwater. Water I have noticed sucks up a lot of light.

Doesn't have to be hugely powerful, I dont want to light up the ocean just a wide area 10-15ft in front of me max. Too much light out in front and it will just spook the fish I have found.

Looking at the DX site for starter for a waterproof ultralux donor. Could even be a bike headlamp.

Ideas?
Look at underwater kinetics (UK)

bill1

Newly Enlightened
the last dive light i bought was an Archon D10U. It has an adjustable beam spread. Unfortunately it leaked after the first dive, but the supplier is apparently going to replace it.

I have just read though on an old thread on here that the Archon lights may have been a stolen design which I was reluctant to mention but perhaps should factor into consideration of whether to support this brand. Having read the other thread I am not sure I would buy another one.

Anyway I have another Archon dive light which works well - they would be an option for your project- the design seems good with the two o rings- I would just not get one with adjustable spread as the moving part seems like a weak point.

p67

Newly Enlightened
I am not after a dive light as such but thanks anyway. The light only has to operate under knee deep water. The switch etc is remote so no underwater switch issue. I only really need a head and small body. Flood is the biggest requirement. Will keep looking on DX to find a host.