Universal handlebar light mount?

JCD

Enlightened
The TWOFISH Cycloblocks lave longer, heavier duty straps which might be plenty long enough to work. One could also try mounting the lockblock or Cycloblocks on the stem itself.

??? It's not a matter of the strap fitting around the bar. The blocks themselves are molded for smaller bars. I've already found more secure solutions that can be made to work. I'm looking for a secure solution that doesn't require any work-arounds to meet my needs.

The stem is not horizontal, so adjustment on another axis would still be required.

I cannot really address a bias unfounded in fact or personal experience...velco is very strong and reliable but, like ALL things that are used regularly, a little preventative maintenace likely goes a long way. Even if it were a screw/threaded solution you'd still need to tighten the screws on occasion.

I have plenty of experience with Velcro, and the fact is that it wears out, and as it wears, its bond progressively weakens. With a threaded solution, it is simply a matter of tightening a nut/bolt. With Velcro, proper preventative maintenance is periodic replacement.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blocks are extremely flexible and 'rubbery' so they should mold themselves to any tube up to ~1.5" in diameter.

I guess you could say the velcro would need to be replaced eventually but it would last a long time, at least a year or 2 before failure if not longer. Given the low cost of the solution it's not unreasonable to have to repair or replace it every few years...how long do you keep a bike for? How often do you replace tires?

JCD

Enlightened
The blocks are extremely flexible and 'rubbery' so they should mold themselves to any tube up to ~1.5" in diameter.

Like I said, I already have more secure solutions that I have made to work. I'm looking for a solution that works properly by design. If the lockblock needs to "mold itself" to my bar, that is not what I consider working by design.

I guess you could say the velcro would need to be replaced eventually but it would last a long time, at least a year or 2 before failure if not longer. Given the low cost of the solution it's not unreasonable to have to repair or replace it every few years...how long do you keep a bike for? How often do you replace tires?

I would be surprised if it made it through a single season. I ride a lot, as much as possible at night.

The Twofish solution is no cheaper than the Fenix bike mount, which is a more durable, more secure solution that offers more flexibility by allowing adjustment in both relevant axes (albeit only in discrete increments). I don't want to pay more for a solution that promises to be disposable under my normal use. For other cyclists who do the bulk of their riding during the day, the Twofish mount might be perfect for those few occasions they get caught out after sunset.

I keep my bikes for quite a long time, several years. I replace my tires as necessary. Neither has any relevance to the discussion; Bikes aren't disposable, and tires wear out as an integral part of their normal function.

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
OK.. I have a problem with the twofish.. when i mount a 6P on it and tighten it as securely as i can, the light still manages to tilt either forwards or backwards after i encounter any bump on the road... Mind you, i'm talking about being on the road. At the rate that its tilting, it wouldnt survive any offroad use at all.

Anyone has a solution for this?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, I already have more secure solutions that I have made to work. I'm looking for a solution that works properly by design. If the lockblock needs to "mold itself" to my bar, that is not what I consider working by design.

The flexible, self-molding feature is a fundamental, intentional aspect of the design which allows both sides to accept or mount to a wide variety of tube diameters.

Tessaiga - the kraton block is very 'sticky,' so this really should not be happening. What diameter is the tube that you are attaching it to?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
imho I already gave a working solution in post No 6
and somehow that "adjustment sideways" argument got lost.
Why argueing over possible life of velcro straps, when the whole holder is unsuitable because the light does not point where the rider wants it to? Lucky who can use the 2Fish, but on a good number of bikes, it is not possible.

Solution 1:
cheapo: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24355
with additonal rubber band for safety reasons. Put over front part of light, under bars and over back part of light body.

solution 2:
homemade:
ayv2m3ij914er12tm.jpg

... both versions support lights up to 6P size with ease
(and I am talking of heavy mtb trail riding, not road)

PS: that (other maker made and) Fenix-labeled holder is a good example of the whole enterprise spitting on the customers who made them big.
That "holder" is such an ugly looking, much too big, rattling, uncomfortable to use piece of plastic-crap ... :(
just "offered" about that time, when they decided to enter this "tactical" market and no longer offer sleek, elegant, small, no-unnecessary-edges lights for their initial customers.
I can understand ppl to use 2Fish - when their bars are the correct angle - but noone who puts that junk of plastic on his/her bars.

JCD

Enlightened
Why argueing over possible life of velcro straps, when the whole holder is unsuitable because the light does not point where the rider wants it to? Lucky who can use the 2Fish, but on a good number of bikes, it is not possible.

Apparently, some retailers believe that the Twofish is the be all end all in light mounting. Unfortunately, the mount has multiple shortcomings that make it unsuitable for use with many typical bikes, including the lack of adjustment, the straps, and the one size fits only a few very well fundamental design.

Fenix-labeled holder is a good example of the whole enterprise spitting on the customers who made them big. That "holder" is such an ugly looking, much too big, rattling, uncomfortable to use piece of plastic-crap

Agreed. It is, however, superior to the Lockblock and the cheap adjustable DX mounts that I've tried so far (haven't tried the one you recommended yet, as I'm trying to eliminate the need for and avoid the use of a secondary attachment for security.

Your homemade solution looks nice. I've designed a nice quick release aluminum mount, but haven't yet had any made.

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
The flexible, self-molding feature is a fundamental, intentional aspect of the design which allows both sides to accept or mount to a wide variety of tube diameters.

Tessaiga - the kraton block is very 'sticky,' so this really should not be happening. What diameter is the tube that you are attaching it to?

Hey Matt, I find that odd too as others have had so much success in using those. I have attached to both a 31.8mm Ragley bar as well as a 25.4mm Funn bar... and no success for both... not even for simple ON the road riding. Any ideas as to what the problem might possibly be? :confused: :sigh:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's like 1-1.25" so it should fit well and a 6P isn't particularly heavy...in this case I simply don't know why it's not working properly.

idlejam

Newly Enlightened
It does strike me as a bit odd that the twofish doesn't "fit" around bars and slips. I have two of them that I use; one on a Ritchey riser bar (mountain) and the other on an ITM Millenium (road). Both bars are 31.5 mm and I've never had a problem with slipping or fit. On the Ritchey, I have to make sure I attach the twofish right next to the stem before the bar starts to rise up, but it works perfectly. If I need more light, I use the second twofish on the bottom side of the bar underneath the first one; two lights on the same section of bar.

I do make sure that the lights I use are relatively centered weight-wise when in the twofish lockblocks, so that there isn't any tendency for the light to be front or back-heavy. I do most of my night riding on roads, but even the times I've used it in the mountains I've never had any significant problems with them slipping and throwing off the aim.

For those that are having slipping problems, perhaps putting something more tacky around the bar would help? Perhaps a small section from an old bike tube between the bar and the twofish would give it more grip?

Avernus

Newly Enlightened
I've used the Fenix mount for a while and I like it. It secures nicely and I've never noticed any slipping or rattling at least in an urban setting, I don't do mountain biking so ymmv.

My one complaint would be that the rotation adjustment has defined 'clicks' instead of being smooth and continuous. This makes it a bit fussy when trying to dial in the alignment, sometimes the right spot was right in between the clicks and I had to try a few different positions before I got the beam hotspot exactly where I wanted it.

But other than that it works fine.

JCD

Enlightened
My one complaint would be that the rotation adjustment has defined 'clicks' instead of being smooth and continuous. This makes it a bit fussy when trying to dial in the alignment, sometimes the right spot was right in between the clicks and I had to try a few different positions before I got the beam hotspot exactly where I wanted it.

I have the same complaint with the Fenix mount, as well as other mounts that only allow discrete adjustments.

matt304

Newly Enlightened
Now that I took the earlier suggestion and have been using the Twofish Cycleblock, I agree. It's awesome!

It is soft rubber which will conform to any size handlebar and light with a handle diameter up to 1.25". Once the light handle becomes 1.5", there is only a small overlap of velcro materials to hang on. The strap could easily be extended another 2" with more velcro hook material and more nylon if you can sew.

It is very strong and forgiving. I ride very hard and land some heavy landings. My Mini-D VX Ultra has not yet budged.

The only problem I have had is a few people have yelled at me because my light is too bright. Whoops. I'll remember to use more lumens in the future for those that are yelling at me.:crackup:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad it's working for you. :)

For those those with larger and heavier lights twofish offers a 'lockblock' which is the same block with a longer, reinforced strap.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure David but I'd be happy to send you one if you want to do a test...we'll need lots of photos. :)

---
Uhh what the hell is that???

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Folks, I have an MG-PLI, and I bike at night. Seeing this thread, clearly, that should be my bike headlight. Who makes a good, solid, but easy to remove the flashlight mount?

pilote

Newly Enlightened
i've been using one from DX; sku 31871 on my hybrid...velcro adjustible on both ends...it holds my 6p (using an m60LF) flashlight very securely...i think it's ideal if you've got a 6p sized light you want to get multiple use on...