UnOfficial Zebralight Modification Options.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I'm sorry, I just noticed that I didn't copy English from the translator but Hungarian!🤣😂🤣
Yes, I was very satisfied with the tritium vials for the past seven years, but now they have faded so much that I'm thinking about replacing them. I guess I didn't buy from the fresh stock then...
It happens…

I hope it works out.

Jim

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
End of an Era, no more SC64 LE stock at Zebralight.

That means no more opportunity to buy an 18650 Zebra with a 3V Nichia 219b or 519a LED upgrade

details here.. (not affiliated)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Oh, I'm sorry, I just noticed that I didn't copy English from the translator but Hungarian!🤣😂🤣
Yes, I was very satisfied with the tritium vials for the past seven years, but now they have faded so much that I'm thinking about replacing them. I guess I didn't buy from the fresh stock then...
No problem. Sorry for my rude comment.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Using the SC65c LE as the host, what should one expect in tint, beam profile, throw, CRI, etc if comparing one modded with a 519a 4500k domed vs 519a 4500k dedomed?

I've read so many different posts, my head is spinning 🤔.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
what should one expect
McBob would be the best person to ask

from my understanding of what Ive read, the beam of the 719a in the SC65 is similarly throwy as the beam from a DeDomed 519a in an SC64

otoh the Domed 519a has a wider and rounder hotspot, better for close range.

and the CRI and lumens would be slightly higher from the 519a.. but confirm w McBob

the Domed 519a is similar in Tint to the 719a.. Domed tends to be less Rosy, than Dedomed. Dedomed also becomes warmer

my favorite 519a is DeDomed 4500K.. it becomes about 3500K, which I enjoy after the sun goes down..

I personally dont love the Domed 4500K.. otoh, I do like the Domed 5700K 519a, it is good for daytime adapted use imo, as it is closest to Sunlight.. The 5700K 519a is my go to for a shop light, or working on a car, especially during the day when warmer LEDs look too Orange..

I like Warmer LEDs at night.. the DeDomed 4500K 519a is sort of the sweet spot for me

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
519a 4500k domed vs 519a 4500k dedomed?
this may help visualize differences:
uZSuR37.jpg

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
I'm soliciting suggestions for an emitter swap on a couple Zebralights.

Specifically, I'd like to change out the Cree XP L2 emitters on two AA headlamps. An H53fc and an H503w.
I'd like to use a Nichia 519a 5000K dedomed, but not even sure if that would be compatible.

These lights have been heavily used, and I have spares for each. Absolutely loved them for a long time, but now only really love them. 80 CRI is just not as thrilling as it once was.

Criteria for new emitter:
  • Compatible, with no other mods than an emitter swap. That's already pushing my ability with this stuff.
  • Retain efficiency as much as possible
  • Ideally retain most or all of the output (<30% loss)
  • 3000k-4000k temp, preferably around 3600 or 3700.
  • >90 CRI, preferably >93.
The Nichia 219a 5700K dedeomed has been lovely, as has the 219a 4000k domed. Im actually ok with the Samsung LH351D used in ZLs, given its efficiency. Just wish it was a bit warmer and had less deviation.

What's the good word? Any advice would be valued.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the good word? Any advice would be valued.
It is not a simple mod, I have not tried.

I would hire Bob_McBob because of his vast experience doing Zebra mods. His work is super clean, he even replaces the conformal coating when hes done.. He has output and CRI data.

From photos hes posted,
challenges:
1. lifting the press fit bezel involves prying with a jewelers screwdriver slid between the glass and the bezel, while avoiding breaking the glass
2. to free the screws McBob mentioned using a dremel to cut the solder blob, which suprised me. I would have thought the process would be to wick the solder off the screws

pitfalls:
1. There is no frosted glass replacement available
2. Sometimes the inductor gets damaged if it does not come free from the conformal coating. McBob has replacement inductors
3. here is a zebra mod that ruined the driver.. it mentions some of the potential pitfalls

encouragement:
If you succeed in getting the board out without damage, Ive read that the reflow can be accomplished by heating the heat sink under the LED, using a hotplate.

A dedomed 4500K 519a becomes about 3500K, its a personal favorite of mine. Its a direct replacement for the XP LEDs.. and McBob likely has some in stock.

Your output goal is realistic. I hope you Absolutely love the modded results. ;-)