Upgrades!

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
So a long time ago (few years), I happened across darksucks and ended up with an Alpha, serial #15. Since I want another one or two (solid copper looks AWESOME), I peruse darksucks regularly. Now if only I could find the money for a bespoke...

Last time I went a-browsing, I noticed the lifetime upgrade http://darksucks.com/store_alphaBL.html and figured I'd see how I'd go about doing that. A few emails later and after shipping it over to Jason, the upgrades were done.

The upgrade I was most impressed with: new XML LED on a solid copper base. This pushed my Alpha from 539 lumens to 820 lumens.

This was my favorite light to begin with. With the fantastic customer support and the latest upgrades, I'm moving my Alpha to most favoritestest. (It's like saying the light was a 10 already so it gets turned to 11.)

Last edited:

Mbehe87

Newly Enlightened
Very cool, thanks for posting. That is a nice upgrade! My blue label is just over a year old now (full brushed version, MCE neutral) so I think it still has the most recent features. I would love to see a future upgrade to have some customization in the modes, like having different groups, maybe swapping low for moonlight, enabling a locator beacon, or shortening the memory time. I guess there is something to be said for the simplicity of it though. This is already an incredibly solid light, and always the first one that I grab for every day tasks (if the Beta-QR can't handle it :D)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...was a 10 already so it gets turned to 11"

hahah that's absolutely awesome. I can't wait to own a neutral white MC-E based Dark Sucks light one day

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
Couple of photos, old card on top, new on bottom:

TYXYTcw.jpg

jxNDXa9.jpg

JeremyS

Newly Enlightened
Outstanding!! I, too, had Jason upgrade a light a while back--#136. It originally had a XPG HI CRI light, and I had it switched to a MCE neutral. The solid copper base, which was introduced around late 2012, is the biggest upgrade I think Jason has made to his lights in terms of performance. This #136 pumps out 573 lumens of gorgeous, neutral white light. Your light is also interesting in that it has the TIR optic, which I don't think Jason offers anymore. I don't have a need for anything as powerful as 820L--or even 573, to be honest--but that would be awesome to see.

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
so did you used to have an MC-E in there prior to the XM-L?

No, I had an XML in it from the beginning.

Outstanding!! I, too, had Jason upgrade a light a while back--#136. It originally had a XPG HI CRI light, and I had it switched to a MCE neutral. The solid copper base, which was introduced around late 2012, is the biggest upgrade I think Jason has made to his lights in terms of performance. This #136 pumps out 573 lumens of gorgeous, neutral white light. Your light is also interesting in that it has the TIR optic, which I don't think Jason offers anymore. I don't have a need for anything as powerful as 820L--or even 573, to be honest--but that would be awesome to see.

I'm addicted to POWER. The Alpha is my second brightest light based on pure lumen output but it's my all 'round favorite. The TIR optic makes for an interesting spot. I will try and get some pictures up when I can.

jkid1911

Enlightened
Jason's work is impeccable and what a great guy too! Can't ever go wrong with an Alpha. If you don't have one, get one!