Urban Pizza Delivery Flashlight

PieDriver

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I deliver pizzas--sometimes at night--and occasionally need a beam, probably on the tighter side, to zero in on those house numbers when driving by. I say zero in on, because it probably wouldn't be great to flood the guy's house I'm about to deliver to. That said, my budget's around a hundred bucks and I liked the looks of that ThruNite TN11S V2 or the ThruNite TN12 when I searched around earlier. Some more details of what I'm looking for are listed below. Thanks a lot.

1. Purchase location = doesn't matter (online or Seattle area)
2. Budget = around $100, could go higher/lower
3. Format = flashlight
4. Size = small-medium
5. Emitter = I don't know what emitter
6. Manufacturer = traditional/ready to go
7. Power Source = I don't know, but rechargeable Li-Ion 18650 seemed cool
7a. Rechargeable Option = either a wall wart or a stand-alone charger (or whatever's good for home charging)
8. OTF = Something enough to read house number at night from the street, or across small parking lots.
9. Flood v. Throw = Probably wide throw to narrow throw. I need to see house numbers, but don't want to flood customer's homes I'm about to delivery to.
9a. Distance = 30-50 yards, but 50-150 might be useful rarely
10. Runtime = Probably up to 30 minutes but I'm not opposed to longer run times.
11. Durability = Slightly important, might drop on concrete
12. Switch Size, etc. = I don't know, something standard
13. UI = I want multiple light levels, also something that memorizes my last setting would be nice
14. Material/Finish/Coating = I don't know
15. Water Resistance = None needed or splash resistant (I live in Washington after all)
16. Storage condition = In house
17. Special Needs = None

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a receiver of pizzas, I don't mind it if the light shines a bit through the windows. I've come to associate the flashy blue tinted beam to that the pizza is here! Neighbours annoyed by it, bah.

The delivery people here use those cheap shower head torches thus the poor blue tinted beams. Probably can't afford anything more.

Your choices are good but an usb charging light means you could charge in your car

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to deliver pizza. I know that you don't really have a $100 budget. :)

Convoy C8. $17. This way it won't hurt as badly when you lose it or it's stolen by a co-worker.

It seems to check all your boxes. At this price, get two so you have a live spare.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Maybe an Xtar RC1? It's a USB rechargeable 18650 light, and they're selling for about $35-40. I don't have any personal experience with it though. I also just bought a Fenix UC30 on sale for $45. For a car light, USB rechargeable rocks.

If I'm expecting a pizza, I'm happy to have a light shining in the windows. :thumbsup: And if my pizza guy showed up with a cool light, he'd get a bigger tip - though I don't expect you run into too many flashaholics.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can make a simple DIY "snoot" to limit spill. For instance, shining your light through the cardboard roll inside a roll of paper towels would do the trick. So would a toilet-paper roll.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could cut your roll open, paint the inside with flat black paint, and wrap it tightly around the flashlight head. If you use paper or cardboard, be careful not to let it get too hot.

CPF member WarRaven made a very cool DIY snoot for his Fenix PD35 by reversing the head of an old 2xAA Mini Mag.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
On second thought, maybe a cheap zoomie is what you really need. Something like one of the Ultrafire models would do the trick if you want to use 18650 batteries. Coast uses a better lensing system, but its flashlights usually require NiMH batteries if you want rechargeables. Even a cheap SiPiK SK68, running on 1xAA, would probably do what you want.

My recommendation of cheap flashlights does not mean I recommend cheap batteries and chargers. It is my opinion, for instance, that xxxx-Fire batteries and chargers should not be used. I would not buy them. If they them came with a flashlight, I would likely recycle them. I would not for a second consider giving them to a friend.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pizza Delivery you say, I suggest:

The Cool Fall Spy Tri-V ver. 3 It would be just perfect. Plus you would have flood for when you walk up to the doors. *sarc*

Seriously, I like the Convoy C8. You could even add the "snoot" rig. It is a pretty tight beam already, but with a simple mod/tweek you would be all set. Maybe even adding a cheap aspheric lens would really do the trick? All for under $25. Then get a few high quality batteries. It runs a 18650 cell.

I know your not into modding lights, but IF you ever decide to delve into easy mods?, a C8 that has the led dedomed is a super cheap excellent thrower.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
All the suggestions in this thread are excellent but if you are torn between the TN11S V2 and TN12, I would pick the TN12 2016 as it is a well-rounded EDC light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mountain Electronics in Seattle has the Convoy C8, as others have suggested, but it doesn't have an internal charger and it only runs on 18650 li-ion cells, which you would need to buy, as well as a lithium ion charger.

You can get the light, which is already a decent thrower for its size, order it with a dedomed LED, which will allow it to throw a bit more. The light is $18 and dedoming the LED will run another $7.

Throw in a couple of quality 18650s with protection circuits for $20 and then get a decent charger, like the Xtar SP1 for $18 and you're all set for $63ish before shipping.

You have lots of other options out there, but that's an economical solution.

Chris

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I forgot, I would get some glow para cord and make a lanyard too. Or maybe get a holster. So you can stow it while you are carrying it with hands full of pizza and luke warm 2 liter bottles of pepsi that have dirt stuck to the condensation on the bottle. :)

PieDriver

Newly Enlightened
Hey, the 2 liters are only warm and dirty most of the time, not all the time :p.

Thanks for the recommendations. From a video I saw, the de-domed Convoy C8 looks perfect:

I think I'll do the Xtar SP1 charger + two 18650s w/ protection circuits too. However, I read that the circuits need to be soldered to the batteries to prevent overcharge. Does that sound right? I will need to solder them? Looking forward to this light. Thanks again. -Pie

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the Sunwayman C22C.It has enough throw to see house numbers and a three level side light with a huge flood for lighting up the walkway so you can see where you are going so you don't trip on anything.It also has a magnetic base so you can attach it to your fender if you have a flat tire or need to work under the hood.Price is around $55-60 bucks and takes an 18650 battery.I love mine.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, the 2 liters are only warm and dirty most of the time, not all the time :p.

Thanks for the recommendations. From a video I saw, the de-domed Convoy C8 looks perfect:

I think I'll do the Xtar SP1 charger + two 18650s w/ protection circuits too. However, I read that the circuits need to be soldered to the batteries to prevent overcharge. Does that sound right? I will need to solder them? Looking forward to this light. Thanks again. -Pie

Negative ghostrider.

They're shrink wrapped to the battery, but no soldering is needed. If you're careful, you don't even have to use protected cells and I don't use them in my 3 Convoys, but I check my voltages often, so I know what's up.

HKJ will show you what's up in this tutorial:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356063-Rewrapping-a-battery

Enjoy.

Chris