[ URGENT HELP NEEDED ] How to plug 400w Halogen on Ebike Lithium Battery

wazza

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I work on home made projectors for making street projections
after using a Ebay 75HID flashlight that work correctly
I develop a 400w Halogen (16000 Lumen) Osram 64663 and a e-bike battery 36v 14Ah

BUT the e-bike don't feed the halogen, i think it detect like a short circuit ( cause the resistance of the bulb is 0)
It feed correctly a 100w Led DealExtreme 8000 lumen.

What sould I put between the Osram 400w and the Ebike lithium battery for starting the 16000 lumen
The battery is
E Ce Velo 36V Lithium Cobalt (LiCoO2) 36A 324Wh

It is very urgent cause i need to do show tomorrow night and the 16000 lumen is badly needed...

thanks for your help!

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
Halogen? I have an older technology halogen that EATS current, but runs at twelve volts. I'd bet you need a voltage converter to step down your 36v power source down to 12v.

wazza

Newly Enlightened
The Bulb is the famous 64663 HLX Osram

But the problem is that the lithium battery dont want to feed it!

Last edited:

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Put a low resistance high power resistor in series with the bulb and see if it starts.
If that works, short circuit the resistor with some heavy wires once the bulb runs.

It is very likely that your assumption is right and the batteries' protection circuit will not allow the very high startup current. With a resistor it should be much lower.

Last edited:

wazza

Newly Enlightened
Yes i've tried to put in parallel
.The 100w led
. the 400w halogen
and it blink briefly but the battery "see" the halogen with is no resistance and cut is power

Perhaps your idea of resistor ???

Helmut.G

Enlightened
you could also put the led in series and short it later if you don't have a high power resistor.

yazovyet

Enlightened
assuming that LED can handle the battery pack on its own, you could try putting it in serise with the orsam and then try shorting past the LED with a wire. (as helmut.g said). but this is a little dangerous since you are dealing with 10 amps and ~400 watts. you could get some large arcs and there is the potential for burns or melted wires.

i edited thsi post since i was not familier with the LED and didnt want to tell you to put it on that battery if it wasnt abel to handle it.

Last edited:

Ctechlite

Enlightened
If you are going to try the shorting method, then make sure you don't do it by hand with a wire! Put a switch in parallel with the load that you will use to try to fool the protection circuit of the battery.

If you have time, I would investigate the battery protection circuit. Maybe it can be disabled/removed.

And like others have said, please take caution with this!

lucca brassi

Enlightened
probably battery can't delivery so much current at time 11,1A (some low cost battery pack?) . It would be fine to start such beast with some softstart circuit (better for bulb and battery )

Antriebsakku für ebikes bis ca. 600 Watt Nenn-(Dauer)-leistung, 0,9kWSpitzenleistung

you can find on http://www.newtecs.de/ battery pack for E-bike 36V/10Ah LiFePo4 but price is 290€ ! Important is dicharge current in C , then working power 600W and short peak power (start !!! )900W

Can 't find datasheet of your battery but Im almost sure that these ebikes don't need such peaks

Last edited:

Helmut.G

Enlightened
The battery should easily power up the 400W bulb.
Runtime should be around 45 minutes.

You only need to lower the startup current.

DeadFred

Newly Enlightened
Most likely the Battery Control Module BCM (they call it a PCB) is killing the power because the large initial current spike. No telling what they programmed the BCM to do for protection. You may need to bypass the BCM with a switch and go directly to the batteries to get it to run, but not a very safe thing to do, plus you will lose you low voltage cutout and thermal protection. You will still need to put the BCM back into the circuit when charging the pack because it handles the over voltage protection and cell balancing.

At work I did some testing on some large electric scooter battery packs and they had quite a bit of protection built into the BCM. You wouldn't even see the main battery voltage at the output of the pack until the computer said it was ok to switch the pack on.

A better option would to add a high current PWM circuit in with the light and gradually ramp up the duty cycle.

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
The halogen bulb uses a huge amount of inrush current until the filament heats up and triggers the safety on the battery, the now nearly extinct incan modder's trick to overcome this is to strobe the switch very quickly for a few seconds until the filament gets warm and the light starts up. Once you get the hang of it it works every time.
Or you can use a thermistor in line but that eats up some lumens.

moviles

Enlightened
I want use incan bulb too in my ebike

I have tested 3 x 250w 24v bulbs in series with no problems

my battery are 48v battery lipepo4 with other 12v battery in series (70v fullchargued) and can give more than 40 amp

where to buy g6.35 base with reflectors?

someone know some small and cheap bulbs 48-55v or 70-80v and 300-2000w?