Using glow paint and powder

Rees

Enlightened
Well, i'm willing to take that risk for now with this cheap light and if i feel lucky move up something better.

Rees

Enlightened
Me too i'm excited to try this out. I will buy a few maybe and try different things for best results and have a control light to compare if adding glow to the optic messes with the light output.

Rees

Enlightened
Well here's a little update, added the glow paint to the back of the optic. It now has a large smooth flood instead of having a concentrated beam. Ill post pics when I get home. I can't say the beam is undesirable, but I honestly didn't think it would change the beam pattern, but you learn as you go I guess.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, if you could paint the inside of another cone -- slightly _bigger_ than the outside of the optic -- you can preserve the air gap.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . but I honestly didn't think it would change the beam pattern, but you learn as you go I guess.

. . . or you could have listened to those who understood how TIRs work, and predicted the result you saw - "Anything applied to the outside of a TIR cone will stop the internal reflection"

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . or you could have listened to those who understood how TIRs work, and predicted the result you saw - "Anything applied to the outside of a TIR cone will stop the internal reflection"
There's something to be said for experimenting - indeed, I did not know to what extent it would affect it. Rees, if you buy another Duramax, would you post comparative beamshots? I'm curious to see them side-by-side, nothing fancy needed. I would also like to see a "Macro Mode" shot of the GITD-painted TIR sitting on a table, if it comes out. Thank you!

+1 for trying things.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's something to be said for experimenting - indeed, I did not know to what extent it would affect it. Rees, if you buy another Duramax, would you post comparative beamshots? I'm curious to see them side-by-side, nothing fancy needed. I would also like to see a "Macro Mode" shot of the GITD-painted TIR sitting on a table, if it comes out. Thank you!

+1 for trying things.

I Agree, experimentation is how many of todays inventions came to be. there's nothing wrong with messing something up unless it hurts someone as long as you learn from it! :D
i self educated myself on electronics from the age of 5 until collage and most of that was trial and error (mostly error! lol) and now have a deg in electronics engineering, but i wouldn't have gotten that far without the experiments in my youth.
keep it up i say! and post what you learn here so others can learn with you, offer advice, and take other approaches to find their own results!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, i bought one and experimented - I put a GITD O-ring from my Solarforce in, wrapped around the optic. It works fairly well. Pics later.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works fairly well. I can't get a decent photo of it without my DSLR, but here is what I did:

6813072125_119a4feeee.jpg

Green peeking through
6813071219_f8335b40cf.jpg

Blurry shot of O-ring wrapped around. It shines through the optic fairly well. In pitch darkness I can pick up the light by seeing the glow, blast light into my closed palm, and then see to get to the bathroom and back with the light off.

Rees

Enlightened
Ok well here the only photo i got of the light with glow paint on the optic before i removed the paint.
content__media_external_images_media_1204.jpg

left is painted one, it made it a flood light and lost throw, and right is control light.

Im going to post pics shortly of my new work I did right after I took the paint off last week (been kinda lazy).

Rees

Enlightened
Heres two lights I did with some small tubing I found at joanne fabrics.
content__media_external_images_media_1214.jpg

Some glow shots
content__media_external_images_media_1215.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1216.jpg

my 2D maglite glowring
content__media_external_images_media_1219.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1220.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1221.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the project is more important than the flashlight, then paint away. I use nail polish and just dust the top with the GID paint until it's covered. You want to get it as close as possible to the LED.