USL ARRIVES! BEAMSHOTS!

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Paul_DW said:
Any more teaser pic's anyone??

popcorn.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Paul, I have no desire whatsoever to tease you! I secretly hope that Bill bumps-up your place in line in appreciation of the entertainment you helped provide through the USL threads! If you and Bill were to keep quiet about it.... :devil: (Unfortunately, I know Bill too well. :( )

Larry

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I had a massive computer upgrade due to a near failure of a hard drive. (It had actually quit working, but I have been able to get it back running somehow to at least download the stuff from it.)

Since I have a high school and college student at home and they HAVE to HAVE the computer going, I've spent 3 days getting it set up.

Codeman switch is on it's way back to be checked. As soon as I see what caused his switch failure and that it is unique to his light, the next group will go in the mail.

They are ready with the switches hanging out, waiting on that eval.

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT?! Bill only has ONE computer? ;)

I have three sitting on my desk, just to MAKE sure work goes on.. oh well, guess that's the downside of being in the industry, you can't live without the miserable things. I used to have fifteen of them several years ago until I started putting them (and myself) out of their misery.

More Whine and Cheese: I must advise all members of the USL Brotherhood *NOT* to light their USLs hot off the charger. However, in my steadfast belief that whatever s%$t to happen will not only happen, it will happen to me (and I will get a double dose because I'm just damn unlucky), I have bought extra bulbs. I am quite grateful to pay the extra:

aah.sized.jpg

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there are 2 in the house, but one is my wife's business computer, and I refuse to screw it up with the kids downloads.

I hardly feel like they shouldn't be able to take advantage of the net access, but the computer I and they use is easier for me to keep track of than my wifes, so they can do papers on the business computer, but not downloads.

That lets me keep mine running and lets me make sure no tragedies occur on hers!

This hard drive started acting weird back in March, and I considered swapping out then, but I was a little afraid to go for it in the middle of the PayPal fiasco and the USL stuff and didn't do it. It finally started quitting in the middle of projects last week, so it was time before total KABLOOIE.

I do have one at work, so I had emergency access if I had to have it.

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the industry, too, but I've only got one at home. I guess that makes me a lighweight, huh?

Well, I do have an old PS/2 Model 80 (works) and a ThinkPad 755 with a bad keyboard, but I don't think antiques running IBM-DOS 3.0 and Win95 count.

Hmm...that reminds me...I do still have a Timex/Sinclair, I think it's a Z1000? It used a cassette desk to store programs on. Circa 1975 or so. Maybe I should do a USL burn-through test on it?

Kevin, how's your USL doing? We want some pictures, dude!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, you mean that chunk that's missing from the threads of the light in that picture is the result of an exploding bulb? Was the head on the light?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman,

Kevin was showing you the little, round, silver ball the filament makes when it vaporizes because of too much power.

The crescent of missing thread is the residual of the machined area for the switch in a 3D mag that has been cut down to 2D to install a new switch.

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill: My policy with hard disks is that the moment one acts wierd, I pull the data off and replace IMMEDIATELY. Kinda like car batteries.. you don't want to call for a tow when you don't have to. Just something that's saved me many times.. the computers that is, the car only once.

Codeman: No, that makes you smarter than me - you do not take work home! :D Actually, work follows me home.. *grumble*

Pictures? OK, how bout some beamshots...

The "Light From Above" look:
aae.sized.jpg

The USL (left) vs my most powerful 2C light (ROP/LE, 850 bulb lumens):
aag.sized.jpg

The USL vs the light from which it came - Mag3D. Yes, it's the dot of light on the right.
aaf.sized.jpg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the USL wearing a different hat (that of the Polaris) for a day. It even uses the Eiko-Solux MR16 with 4700K CCT.

aaj.sized.jpg

WARNING: DO NOT twist the USL head if you have an MR16 bulb loaded - you CAN damage the contact points. Luckily I didn't put too much force on it and only dented the bulb holes slightly.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeeeeeehhhhhhhhaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice shots!

I especially like the USL / stock 3D shot. That really says it all.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
During today's testing run I discovered a couple more things which I think I should share.

I was carrying a Surefire SRTH (225 lumens), ROP/LE (600 lumens), USL (2K lumens).

At the furthest end of our testing range, the SRTH and the USL, despite the huge disparity in power, managed to both light up the targets and allow us to identify them. The ROP/LE did not, surprisingly, even though it uses a MOP cammed Mag reflector.

The surprise guest was the Lioncub+Lionhead that came with me, while it didn't manage to illuminate the target either, it and the SRTH shared the title for "tightest beam and best optical collimation". The SRTH only managed to match the USL's range because of this incredibly tight beam. The USL managed to deliver the range because of sheer photonic output.

I recall tvodrd's tests about the USL and the Beast, I think the Beast has better optical management and therefore provided better illumination of his workbench testing range. The USL is very very much a wall of light just like the ROP/LE is, and what an unbelievably amazing wall of light it is. The USL's sidespill is almost as bright as the SRTH's main beam! There is absolutely NOTHING better when you need to flood an entire field, as shown above.

Not dissing the USL, but I'm just saying that photon management is very, very important. The other guy and me were discussing "What if the USL could deliver the same needle-like beam that the Lionhead and SRTH could.." that would really be marshmallows at 300 feet.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, the stock USL isn't a huge thrower - it wasn't designed to be. But...

With a FM-3 head on it, the USL delivers a much tighter beam (my eyes say it's about 1/2 the diameter of the stock head's beam), but it still has a huge amount of spill.

The USL/FM-3 lit up a stop sign in my neighborhood at 323 yds (electronically ranged), even with those horrible orange street lights messing up the night sky. And that is with the stock bulb. Swap a 64625 in and output jumps enough to be noticeable, though the beam isn't as nicely-shaped.

As Bill has mentioned previously, the 64625 doesn't add much when using the stock head. The spot really isn't noticeably brighter, nor is the spill. The 64625 really does need a 3" head to make sense. IMO, the stock bulb is the best bulb for the stock head.

For the USL owners who end up with a 3" head, they will have the best of both worlds - either a masssive wall o' light or a very serious throw monster with an impressive wall o' light.

Bottom line, from my own experience, the USL/FM-3's beam easily outdoes the LC/Lh's beam. It's very noticeable. Still, I can see your point. The LC/Lh does put a much higher percentage of it's total output into the beam as compared to either the stock USL or a USL/FM-3. If the USL/FM-3 put as high a percentage into the spot as the LC/Lh, it might be capable of starting fires at a distance.

OT - The throw of the the LC/Lh is surprising. My brass LC/Lh can light the reflective portion of the stopsign up very well, but not the ground around it, like the USL/FM-3 does.

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea when production of the USL 3" head will start? I have an FM-H3 head already but it comes with a cammed reflector.

Jeff

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Otokoyama has told me it's not a technically difficult item to make, and he would consider it with enough demand.

Not enough people have their USL's to really encourage him to make them, (I am working on it guys, REALLY!) and the FM 3" head works very well. FM is working on a new 3" head, maybe convincing him to make extras will be an easier route to go, besides that, he is making them in a least one other color than black, so it might be possible to talk him into making matching colors.

Bill

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I haven't talk to Bill about it, the FM-3H camless I have has to be screwed out just a bit before the o-ring is engaged for best focusing with the 64625. For that reason, a slightly deeper head might be better.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
XpitXbullX,

Talk with Litho123 about getting a 3" Carley that fits your FM head. Carley makes them, you could then have a cammed reflector and a noncammed one!

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray, you should be able to adjust the can and socket down enough to get a good fit.

Of course, you will them have to readjust for the stock head.

BTW, I love the FM 6AA with a black stock Mag head and MOP/HOP reflector with the 1111. That lets you run the FM head on the USL!

Bill