VaraPower Turbo

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice TEEJ, thanks for posting these.

I guess the SR90 has remained king. The VPT does do noticeably more lumens though. The hotspot looks bigger and there seems to be a corona. In the sr-90 shot the ground is rather dark between the spot and spill. The spill itself of both lights looks to be about identical.
The sky in the sr-90 shot looksa little brighter than in the vpt shots?
If only Kevin would make a higher quality head with a much better relector. I will continue to hope and keep bugging him :crackup:
BTW theres a deer standing in the middle of your first 2 shots :)

Maybe you could buy or borrow of the new olight sr-95 UTs and do an ultiat de-doed comparison :popcorn:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Very nice TEEJ, thanks for posting these.

I guess the SR90 has remained king. The VPT does do noticeably more lumens though. The hotspot looks bigger and there seems to be a corona. In the sr-90 shot the ground is rather dark between the spot and spill. The spill itself of both lights looks to be about identical.
The sky in the sr-90 shot looksa little brighter than in the vpt shots?
If only Kevin would make a higher quality head with a much better relector. I will continue to hope and keep bugging him :crackup:
BTW theres a deer standing in the middle of your first 2 shots :)

Maybe you could buy or borrow of the new olight sr-95 UTs and do an ultiat de-doed comparison :popcorn:

The sky changes a little as the sun was still setting/shining up at some clouds there...plus, there's a complex on the other side of the tree line, and the lot's lights add to sky glow when they come on at dusk, etc.

I make notes as to what I see when shooting, and then try to make the scene that's lit by the lights reflect what my eyes had seen.

Note that the SR90 was dedomed...hence the smaller hot area, dimmer gap from spill to hot spot....as it took some of the light that used to fill that gap, and concentrated it more to the center for better throw.

Overall, the VPT2 reminds me more of the TK70 beam shape.

7005257438_96282949e8_c.jpg

TK70 shot under roughly same conditions as above.

7350166672_77c5c962d7_c.jpg

VPT2

The TK70 puts more light at mid range, but less intensity, but a broader area, at full range...and starts to run out of gas at ranges too much past that tree.

So, the camera is new, and was on auto as surmised. I have to read the manual to figure out how to make it do manual stuff and with the self timer to avoid shake.

:D

Last edited:

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know when VPT2 going to be available again? Or anything new coming out?
Try to email him but I guess same problems with other..never get reply.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Man all this excitement and a de-domed SR90 is still the throw king?

Even the TK70 looks brighter in those last shots but I'm guessing its because it has less spill and less throw so all its light it concentrated in to one sort of flood beam because in the longer shots a couple pages back the VPT is easily the winner in output and throw.

WHY has nobody tried a de-domed VPT with SR90 reflector???

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I postet some lux measurements of the VPT and some other throwers over here. My de-domed 4000K vPT V2 did 220,640 lux@1m :devil:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know when VPT2 going to be available again? Or anything new coming out?
Try to email him but I guess same problems with other..never get reply.

I just checked out the VPT2 webpage and saw that Lambda has updated 2 things.
1. SBT-90 Leds are now available as an option. They add 30$ to the price.
2. He changed the date to July 2012

The SBT-90 leds are only available in 6500K and 5700K. This means that my configuration might not be available any more (4000K de-domed).

I'm guessing he will do another build soon, so keep checking the website and his FNF subforum.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Is there any way to put an SR90 head on the VPT? And are there any numbers on the SBT-90? I was pretty disappointed with the numbers for the SBT-90 SR95 compared to a De-domed SR90.

Also how many SST-90 LED variants are there? What is the difference between the SBT-90 and CBT-90?

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to put an SR90 head on the VPT? And are there any numbers on the SBT-90? I was pretty disappointed with the numbers for the SBT-90 SR95 compared to a De-domed SR90.

As far as I know: no. The problem is that the SR-90s electronics are inside the head. If you want numbers look at the datasheets from Luminus (here). The SB-T is essentially the same thing as th de-domed SST-90. I don't know if the glass window on top changes the performance that much. What you have to remember is that the SR-90 has a way bigger reflector than the SR-91.

Also how many SST-90 LED variants are there? What is the difference between the SBT-90 and CBT-90?
There are many variants. Just take a look at the Luminus Website. The CB-T 90 is a SB-T soldered onto a thick copper pcb. It also has a connector so you don't need to solder wires to it. The CB-T is heat-sinked better than SST-90s on star pcbs and is either to use during manufacturing (Projectors for example). Soldering SST-90s and SB-Ts directly onto big copper heatsinks is by far the best way of heat-sinking.

We have basically talked about all the variants of the led now. They also have color versions, UV versions and a quad-die version.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
As far as I know: no. The problem is that the SR-90s electronics are inside the head. If you want numbers look at the datasheets from Luminus (here). The SB-T is essentially the same thing as th de-domed SST-90. I don't know if the glass window on top changes the performance that much. What you have to remember is that the SR-90 has a way bigger reflector than the SR-91.
The SR90 Reflector is just so much bigger than the VPT one.

No I ment SR95, the SR90's replacement. Heres how I see it
SR90 1400lm 100-110k lux De-domed just over 200k lux it almost doubles????
SR95 2000lm and 113.5k lux according to Selfbuilt
SR95UT said to basically be a de-domed SR95 1300lm 166.5k lux according to selfbuilt. This is still 40k lux away from what a de-domed SR90 will do
VPT I forget, peoples measurements are in this thread I think about 160k lux stock and around 200k for a de-domed but the beam seems to spread out (more v shaped) than the SR90.

The greatest % increase here is the SR90 and I believe it is from that Giant reflector. I take it you can't stick a De-domed SR95's guts in to the SR90 either du to the head differences?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SR90 Reflector is just so much bigger than the VPT one.

No I ment SR95, the SR90's replacement. Heres how I see it
SR90 1400lm 100-110k lux De-domed just over 200k lux it almost doubles????
SR95 2000lm and 113.5k lux according to Selfbuilt
SR95UT said to basically be a de-domed SR95 1300lm 166.5k lux according to selfbuilt. This is still 40k lux away from what a de-domed SR90 will do
VPT I forget, peoples measurements are in this thread I think about 160k lux stock and around 200k for a de-domed but the beam seems to spread out (more v shaped) than the SR90.

The greatest % increase here is the SR90 and I believe it is from that Giant reflector. I take it you can't stick a De-domed SR95's guts in to the SR90 either du to the head differences?

Yes, the extremely nice reflector of the sr-90 makes a big difference. The VPT throws so good because of the extreme intensity and brute force lumens at 15A. The VPT mit dome on was measured at 115,000 lux by Kevin.
The SR-95s reflector is probably not that much better than the one in the VPT.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 2 VPT test units for sale right now (check Lambda's newest threas in his fnf subforum) and also 2 2d xm-l versions :)