*Very* Compact 1x18650/2xCR123A, Forward Clicky, Wide Output Range

Gryffin

Enlightened
I've been a real 1xAA/14500 junkie for EDC, but I'm wondering if I can get more OOMPH is a slightly larger package. Sooo, what I'm looking for is...

• 1x18650 / 2xCR123A / 2xRCR123; 2x18350 without crushing cells would be a plus, but not mandatory.
  • Very compact; straight body, 25mm bezel or not much bigger. I realize this compromises throw, but for an GP EDC light, that's OK with me.
  • Momentary-on is a must; that typically means a forward clicky, but I'm open to an electronic switch if the UI is right
  • Variable output, switched by some other means than the main switch: magnetic control ring, secondary side switch, whatever works.
  • Wide range of output: from moonlight to retina-searing; infinitely-variable would be ideal, but defined levels are OK if they're well-spaced.
  • High output on HIGH: XM-L or XM-L2 I'm guessing. XP-G2 is nice, but in this form factor, I think the big emitter is preferable. 500 OTF lumens is the goal.
  • Current-controlled, por favor. PWM makes my head hurt, and there's no excuse for it in modern lights IMNSHO.

For reference, I love the size of my Download's 6th run Pocket Rocket, except for the reverse clicky and only two modes. The NiteCore SRT5 seems to have potential, but it's not out yet; the EYE15 looks interesting, but no momentary switch. Any others I've overlooked?

Enlightened
Any e2e triple (tana's tripled or oveready ) fits your criteria.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Any e2e triple (tana's tripled or oveready ) fits your criteria.

E2E takes 2xCR123, but I'm planning on mostly using 18650 for daily use, with the ability to use 2xCR123A WTSHTF. Don't think there's enough wall thickness to bore it out, either.

To give a better idea what I'm after, my ideal would be the Nitecore IFE2, but with a modern emitter and commensurate output.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not a Malkoff MD2 with a drop in that matches your needs?
I have one with a Nailbender 5 speed in Neutral that I really like and with the Malkoff HiLo switch you can get 10 speeds out of it too.
Malkoff themselves offer a 3 level drop in now as well.

Also the E2E must be thick enough to be bored out because I have one bored by Oveready already sold by them as the Tri Copper,it is amazing for the size!

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
An Oveready TL50 (or Fivemega 18500) in conjunction with an O/R zero resistance shorty tailcap will take an 18650 nicely in a small and very useful package.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't mention budget.
DQG males an XM-L2 18650 that is very small and very floody. Neutral tint is available.
Oveready has lots of options- at a higher price. But you get more quality, so these lights are still good value, IMHO.
By the way, some people call PWM constant color. If the frequency is high enough, PWM is not a problem.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Why not a Malkoff MD2 with a drop in that matches your needs?

Malkoffs rock, but that's still bigger than I'd like. The goal is to get an 18650 light in 1xAA-size package, if possible.

An Oveready TL50 (or Fivemega 18500) in conjunction with an O/R zero resistance shorty taiilcap will take an 18650 nicely in a small and very useful package.

Possible... but that still leaves me looking for a head no bigger than that TL50 body. Plus, looking at Oveready makes my wallet ache. ;)

You don't mention budget.

True, I didn't. I'm pretty frugal these days, so I'm more focused on value: I don't mind spending more on something that *really* blows me away, but not on something that doesn't tick all the boxes and make me go "Whoa!"

DQG males an XM-L2 18650 that is very small and very floody. Neutral tint is available.

Thanks for reminding me of the DQG, I'd forgotten about it. I use momentary-on waaaaaay too much to carry a twisty, though.

By the way, some people call PWM constant color. If the frequency is high enough, PWM is not a problem.

Tis true. Guess I should've said "noticeable PWM."

Good Luck!

Thanks, I'm gonna need it, it seems! :D

At this point, I might just have to wait on the Nitecore SRT5 and see if it comes as close to my needs as I think it will.

Thanks for all the responses!

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
That SRT7 look pretty cool. The variable brightness, different color strobes. I'm interested.

Steven

AFireInside

Newly Enlightened
No idea how big the srt5 will be but I just got the srt6 and it's quite a bit bigger than the sc600. Can't really go past the zebralight for its size, ui and output.

However if you want the magnetic control ring and didn't mind a bit less output and one less battery go the sunwayman v11r or jetbeam rrt01

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
That SRT7 look pretty cool. The variable brightness, different color strobes. I'm interested.

I just got one, it *is* quite cool. Big ol' beast, though.

No idea how big the srt5 will be but I just got the srt6 and it's quite a bit bigger than the sc600.

I've seen the specs. It's about 1cm longer than the IFE2, I can live with that.

Can't really go past the zebralight for its size, ui and output.

Oh true, the ZLs are crazy compact. I have an H501w, but the UI / electronic switch drive me nuts. I have a hard enough time with just the three basic modes, I dont' think I've ever successfully gotten to the sub-modes. At least not on purpose.

However if you want the magnetic control ring and didn't mind a bit less output and one less battery go the sunwayman v11r or jetbeam rrt01

The V11R with AA adapter and 14500 is one of my absolute faves. As for the RRT-01, I like the fact it'll take an 18350, but I've pretty much standardized on AA for EDC, so the V11R won out.