Victorinox or Wenger?

• Victorinox

Votes: 115 83.9%
  • Wenger

Votes: 22 16.1%

• Total voters

cfromc

Enlightened
Victorinox seems to have a never-ending selection of models, colors, etc. I simply determined my needs and then looked at both brands and found the Vic came closest. There were a couple Wengers that were close but they were too thick for front pocket carry in dress clothes.

My EDC watch is a Wenger though and I've never had a problem with it. I've been wearing it for years. A GST field autoquartz.

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
I tend to like Wenger a bit more for the the lock on the 85mm knives and I've had one for ten years without any issues. Just a solid and tight as the day I bought it. Love the Victorinox Cadets, though.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vic's are easier to find around here in stores. I became a Vic fan by default in the pre internet days. Y'all remember those days? :nana:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The very first SAK that I had ever bought was a Wenger, probably about 20 years ago. I used it for a few months then decided to try a Victorinox. I think I've bought about 12-15 Victorinoxes over the years compared to that one Wenger that I gave away or lost some years ago. I might try a new Wenger to see if things have improved in recent years, though.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might try a new Wenger to see if things have improved in recent years, though.
After posting this I checked out Wenger's website and could not find anything that would be a suitable replacement for my trusty, beat up, broken old Victorinox Explorer that looks like it's been to hell and back a few times.

DSC_2178.jpg

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
another vote for the Vinox sent from my iphone using tapatalk 2

JemR

Newly Enlightened
You have awakened a thread from the dead shelm. Up until recently I would have said Victorinox as that is what I have. But I got me nephew (13) a Wenger EvoGrip 16 recently and really liked it. Oh! he does too. The grip inserts make it seem just a little more secure to handle. So Wenger today for me, help them out a bit in the poll. 101 votes now Burgess, more to come maybe??.

Charley

Newly Enlightened
I worked at an industrial plant for over 32 years. When anyone needed their knives sharpened, they always broght them to me. The steel in Victorinox knives is way better than Wenger. The Wengers always felt cheap compared to the Victorinox. I would climb over a pile of Wenger's to get to one Victorinox!

Charley

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
awesome old thread bump, but I was thinking of this a few months back. I decided the victorinox looks much classier so I went with them. I really like the vic. accessories too.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I haven't had hundreds or even dozens of both brands to form a REALLY strong opinion...

But I voted Vic and tend to prefer Vic in most cases. My Alox Cadet is a work of art! And I prefer the scissors on a Classic to the somewhat serrated ones on a Wenger.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I would never voluntarily buy a classic SAK.

Had a few as a kid, all Victorinox, and found these are really poor quality for the price.

But if i had to buy one, with a gun in my back, i would pick the Wenger as i would think it could not come worse than Victorinox.

Cheers

RBR

:confused:

Just a few days ago I thought about how impressed I was about Victorinox quality in relation to the price.

I had a Cadet alox that I recently have lost, hopefully it's somewhere in my house and will show up some day.
That's a really great knife to pocket carry.

I bought a Vic Electrician as a gift and liked it so much that I had to get one for my self also.

My older Vics are with red plastic scales and are in very good shape, but one (20-25 years old) has a small piece broken off from the scale.
That doesnt matter for it's function.

About the Vic vs Wenger I don't know but I thought they had the same blade steel, maybe I was wrong

Edit: I found it! My lost Cadet was in my sofa. :)

Last edited:

Slazmo

Enlightened
from what I read a few years back that Victorinox was the Military focused version of knives and Wenger was the Civilian focused knife - hence why they're lesser quality structurally, compared to Victorinox and usually lesser in price...

Similar to Spyderco and its secondary company Byrd - to which I am very fond of due to their quality and hugely lesser price point in comparison to Spyderco!

Each to their own I guess - horses for courses...