Victorinox Sportsman II -- yuck

paulr

Flashaholic
I saw one at the store today, for $10.49. The package says Made in Switzerland but the knife looks like some piece of Taiwan-made junk. The plastic handle had a cruddy texture and wasn't quite the same shade as the usual Victorinox red plastic (I forget what that plastic is called). The swiss cross logo appeared to be printed/painted on instead of inlaid into the plastic. The blades looked to have a cruddy finish too, though all I could see was their spines, since the knife was sealed in the package. Meanwhile, the store also had the Classic SD (smaller, simpler knife) for $12.95, and that looked to be a normal good quality model.

So, it looks like Victorinox, like so many other companies before it, has built a reputation making good stuff and is now trying to cash in by buying cheap crap and putting on its logo, so people will buy the cheap crap expecting to get good stuff. As is usual, we'll soon see the reputation go down the drain instead, as buyers figure out what they're getting for those high prices.

Frank

Newly Enlightened
You may have seen one of the Economy series. As you saw, the difference is the handle texture and the painted shield. Other than that they are the same as the regular, cellidor handled models. Some people actually prefer the Economies because they prefer the texture.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I too suspect you came across one from the economy line. As already stated, the handles are different. I like the handles because they do not seem to scar as easily. Quality of the knives is every bit as good as the prettier handled ones. I have 3 of the "Climber 2" models that Lowes had for about 8.50. They are real Victorinox knives, not, as you imply, cheap crap with thier logo.

paulr

Flashaholic
If the only difference is the scales, then I guess the knives aren't so terrible, but I still don't understand why they did this. The cost savings from the new scales can't be significant. So it's a pure marketing stunt and worsens the company's image. Oh well, their loss.

Moe

Newly Enlightened
If the knife really was one of the economy line, you can't go wrong with it. I have several Victorinox and Wenger in use and must say, that the economy-ones are not a bit less durable or useful. My EDC contains a Victorinox huntsman (or something like this) and this has been used almost daily for 3 or 4 years now. For abusive jobs i use a bigger folder, not the SAK.
I am not sure, what exactly makes them "economy" except the texture of the handle.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Victorinox knives, but I was never blown away by the original cellidor scales anyway. They are fine, but a textured alternative sounds like a good option.

The aluminum scales are my favorite, though. They seem very robust and they look nice, but I don't see them very often.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:
Its to bad to see such great companies coming out with products like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what? I dont think the economy line is all that new. In fact, I beleive the same handle material has also been used for some time on Vic's larger locking models.

Anyways, I would be interested to hear what you mean.

capnal

Enlightened
Well, I would like to chime in on this subject. I have been collecting Victorinox items for years. Additionally, I have been doing research on the company and its products over the years. About 3 years ago, I bought this tool, called the Victorinox Sport Ratchet.
Victorinox_Rachet_Tool.jpg

I, too, was disappointed to open the package and read the nations of manufacture on this item. True, the BLADES are made in Switzerland, but it also goes on to say that other parts are made in USA and China. I believe the ratchet itself is USA, the blade Swiss, and the balance is China. Although overall it is not a bad product, it sort of leaves a bad taste in your mouth to say "Look at my new Swiss Army tool".
On this particular item, the sheath (china) is horrible. It seems to be made from some sort of light weight neoprene type material. Like what you might see some PDA cases made from.
For me, this tool has been included into a very small "what if" type tool kit in the back seat of my Yukon, along with a few other items. For that purpose, it does just fine.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RichardMT said:
[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:
Its to bad to see such great companies coming out with products like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what? I dont think the economy line is all that new. In fact, I beleive the same handle material has also been used for some time on Vic's larger locking models.

Anyways, I would be interested to hear what you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you know what I mean its a shame to see a great company that usually has such great items come out (or just market for that matter) a sub par product. To me the "big" names in multitools are Leatherman, Gerber, and Victorinox and all three of them have quality products. Up until now I had never heard of the "economy line" but it saddens me to know that a respectable company would make such a cheap item.

Yes, I know I am probably being harsh on Victorinox but if I was ever stuck in Northern Canada and my car broke down and that was the only tool I had and I snapped off the cheap handle, I wouldn't be to happy about it. To every engineer should look at a scenario like that before they cut corners and import parts for there product from China.

that is just my option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Frank

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:
Well, if you know what I mean its a shame to see a great company that usually has such great items come out (or just market for that matter) a sub par product. To me the "big" names in multitools are Leatherman, Gerber, and Victorinox and all three of them have quality products. Up until now I had never heard of the "economy line" but it saddens me to know that a respectable company would make such a cheap item.

Yes, I know I am probably being harsh on Victorinox but if I was ever stuck in Northern Canada and my car broke down and that was the only tool I had and I snapped off the cheap handle, I wouldn't be to happy about it. To every engineer should look at a scenario like that before they cut corners and import parts for there product from China.

that is just my option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]The Economy line has been available since at least the mid-80s. Only a portion of the Victorinox line is imported- the Economies just started showing up here in large numbers in the past couple of years.

The handle scales aren't structural.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
Ok, that seems to be a misconception. If I needed a SAK to make an emergency repair, the a Climber 2 (economy version) would do just as well as the standard climber. The only difference is the handle material, and it is no less durable than the standard material, just not quite a nice to look at.

As stated, the economy line has been around for a while. Foruimte Vincent (UnknownVT) has quite a bit on info on the line and would be in a better posistion to give the details. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Certainly if you dont like the knife based on looks, thats fine. Just dont be afraid of lesser quality. It is the same quality as the standard line.

As for the Sportsman ratchet pictured above, I seem to remember seeing one of those, maybe in a magazine. I wasnt aware they were still being made. Interesting looking.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RichardMT said:
Ok, that seems to be a misconception. If I needed a SAK to make an emergency repair, the a Climber 2 (economy version) would do just as well as the standard climber. The only difference is the handle material, and it is no less durable than the standard material, just not quite a nice to look at.

As stated, the economy line has been around for a while. Foruimte Vincent (UnknownVT) has quite a bit on info on the line and would be in a better posistion to give the details. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Certainly if you dont like the knife based on looks, thats fine. Just dont be afraid of lesser quality. It is the same quality as the standard line.

As for the Sportsman ratchet pictured above, I seem to remember seeing one of those, maybe in a magazine. I wasnt aware they were still being made. Interesting looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that the entire tool was of different quality and it seems this is not so.

dandruff

Enlightened
in the military here we are issued vics too. the issue ones and my personal knife have different handles too, the issue ones sounding like the economy model.

no probs with it...