Victorinox Trekker

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Gadget Guy said:
I really like the way the serrations are on the front of the blade. I wish more knife companies would do that.

I did not realize the practicality of the serrations being in the front until I got the knife. I agree with you 100%. I wish more knife companies would catch on and I would love to see Victorinox make a plain edge version.

carrot

Flashaholic
Me too. I was disappointed when I first got the knife because I'm not that big a fan of serrations, but the serrations on the front proved themselves useful.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Has anybody else noticed the side of the blade that the serrations are on? They are on the opposite side to most serrated blades. I have always wondered about that. Since most serrations have a chisel type grind, you would think they would work well in a pushing type motion. For right handed people, the serrations on the Trekker are on the correct side so that you could push the blade away from you. On most other serrated blades with the serrations on the opposite side, you would need to pull the blade torwards you if you were right handed.

I haven't used my Trekker enough yet to decide if the serrations work for me or if I want to mod it and do away with the serrations. My Victorinox sheath came in yesterday, so I am definitely ready now to carry it into the woods with me securely. A paracord lanyard probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Also I had ordered a Gatco Tri-seps pocket sharpener as well. It looks like a definitely well thought out sharpener that can handle just about all blade types and it's still small enough to throw in a pocket or bag, yet large enough to make sharpening easy and safe. It's about 4.5" long. Anybody tried one of these things?

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
RebelRAM said:
Also I had ordered a Gatco Tri-seps pocket sharpener as well. It looks like a definitely well thought out sharpener that can handle just about all blade types and it's still small enough to throw in a pocket or bag, yet large enough to make sharpening easy and safe. It's about 4.5" long. Anybody tried one of these things?

Yup, got one in my bag at all times... great for the occasional touch-up, but a good sharpener for home use is very much advised. And only sharpen a Victorinox knife for the first time when it is really needed. The blades have some sort of hardened coating. If you sharpen the blade for the first time, the coating will be stripped off and the knife will need frequent touch ups...

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have a Sharpmaker that I use most of the time when anything needs sharpening and I'm at home. The Gatco is strictly for me to throw in my bag or pocket when I'm out at a remote location or in the woods and don't have access to my Sharpmaker.

Very interesting about the coating on the blades. I'll try to remember that.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
And only sharpen a Victorinox knife for the first time when it is really needed. The blades have some sort of hardened coating. If you sharpen the blade for the first time, the coating will be stripped off and the knife will need frequent touch ups...

:huh2:

There is no coating on Victorinox knife blades. The entire blade is hardened to Rockwell Rc56.

carrot

Flashaholic
Say... how do I get a new tweezer for my SAK?

If the Trekker had a secondary 1.5" "small blade" I'd love it even more. Why aren't there any locking SAKs with two blades, a small and a large?

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Sometimes if you contact customer service they will send you one free of charge. I know Wenger has done this for a few of mine. I may have even gotten a replacement from Victorinox for another SAK I have.

You can also purchase tweezers, toothpicks, the little screwdriver that stores in a corkscrew, etc...
I have ordered from knivesplus.com quite a bit and I know they carry those items. But if you must order tweezers, atleast order something else as well to atleast make up for the cost of the shipping. Maybe another SAK or something?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could PM me and I'll mail you a tweezer. Let me know what size or model knife you need it for.

Or, you could contact [email protected], and he will sell you one for a great price--he's an excellent dealer.

Good question about the locking small blade. The main (large) blades would have to be designed differently to accomodate a small blade like the 91mm SAKs do. Note that the large blade on the 91mm SAKs are not exactly straight, but slightly angled and twisted to one side to fit past the small blade when closed. This "twist" can be seen easily on the 91mm models if you look straight at the point of the main blade (as if you're going to stab yourself in the eye).