• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Volcano Killer

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
:drool:

The Protectaclear really makes this thing pop. What a cool combination of color, pattern, and texture. :twothumbs

Congrats to the owner, whoever they may be!

:thumbsup: john

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I use heat for coloring purposes I use the back part of the flame on the outside of the yellow spectrum. Go real slow and when you first start to see the color change stop heating it and wait about 30 seconds and re-inspect. This will stop the heat coloring transfer and makes the coloring more uniform. I also dont heat the same area for any length of time. The flame is always moving so I dont get things blotchy or over colored, patience is key. I also do more flat sections than your round flashlites Fred. But the thicker sections get more heat and then I work to the thinner section. If you dont do it that way the thin sections way over color first and look washed out on my knives. I probably spend 5 minutes for each piece bringing it up to color.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tips--although I'm not one to be overly patient. ;)

Good point about stopping early--I guess there's no harm done that way, even if I do have to reheat the entire light to take it to the next color. OK, I will be patient. :devil:

fyrstormer

Banned
Be still my beating heart. :eek:oo:

Fred, do you think you could make something like this that runs on an RCR123 and has a proper reflector? I think the cold precision of the reflector would contrast nicely with the organic handmade look of the body.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, the largest diameter bar of Mokume Gane that I can buy is 19mm, and after cleaning it up a tad, that takes it down to 18.50mm, which is not large enough for a CR123 battery.

Just Google Protectaclear--it is a polymer coating.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, the largest diameter bar of Mokume Gane that I can buy is 19mm, and after cleaning it up a tad, that takes it down to 18.50mm, which is not large enough for a CR123 battery.

Just Google Protectaclear--it is a polymer coating.

Large enough for AA maybe? I wonder what MG would look like knurled? :thinking:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Large enough for AA maybe? I wonder what MG would look like knurled? :thinking:

AA? -- Been there, done that. And I'll do it again, soon, I hope.

I think knurling would look terrible in MG, due to the different hardnesses of the two/three metals, plus, you would break up the nice pattern that is inherent in the twist pattern.

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
:poof: There goes my eyes! Looks like some alien hybrid technology that's been buried for eons and unearthed by some flashalogist, dang! That ain't no human work, nossuh!

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, if you ever get your hands on some 1-inch Mokume Gane, give me a yell and I'll come up with something fun for you to do with it. :)

I agree with not knurling this stuff. I think if you wanted a really grippy surface, the key would be to etch it longer so the "grain" would be more pronounced.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think knurling would look terrible in MG, due to the different hardnesses of the two/three metals, plus, you would break up the nice pattern that is inherent in the twist pattern.

That's what I thought. I just like knurling. :grin2:

How wide can you make knurls? This is a bit OT, but is it possible to do a single row of knurls and have them be large/spaced widely?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, cut knurling is done continuously along the axis of the light, so if you wanted bands of knurling, you would have to machine away the knurls.

However, form knurling can be done in specific locations, but is limited to the width of the knurling bit, usually not very wide. I think I have one decorative knurl and it is 6mm wide.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Normally, cut knurling is done continuously along the axis of the light, so if you wanted bands of knurling, you would have to machine away the knurls.

However, form knurling can be done in specific locations, but is limited to the width of the knurling bit, usually not very wide. I think I have one decorative knurl and it is 6mm wide.
Although I like knurling, it's mainly for the grip it affords and the machining done on a great many of your lights negates the need for anything more.

I'd really like to have one of your lights someday too and will want no more than what I view as the quintessential PhotonFanatic design. :)

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
RedLed,

I totally agree, but I will also point out that the etching provides something similar to knurling as a means of enhancing grip--just not as aggressive though.