W A R N I N G - BS Battery Explodes

hcd615

Enlightened
Hi Robocop,

Thanks for the kind words. Funny thing is I am not a new forum member. I have been around for 4-5 years. I use to own Bulldog Enterprises and be a dealer on this forum for 2 1/2 years. After talking to Kevin tonight he reminded me that we have done many business deals in the past. He use to buy SF lights from me before he was a SF dealer himself. I sold my business to Dan Legg (TW). I have always lurked and posted from time to time. Recently I have come out since SF has been releasing the new LED lights. I am a SF guy. Dont let the 80 posts fool you :) I use to have 100's.

Last edited:

hcd615

Enlightened
I WAS A JERK AND I APOLOGIZE TO KEVIN

After many emails back and forth Kevin and I realized we have dealt with each other many times in the past. I use to own bulldog Enterprises here on the forum until I sold my company to Dan Legg (TW). I jumped the gun and really kicked a man while he was down. I APOLOGIZE! I know the damage is done, but I have morals and I just wanted to make a new thread so people wouldnt miss my apology in the other thread.

Kevin has explained to me that his 123's and SF123's come from the same plant. I am taking his word and now know he has no problems and only deals in the USA!

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I WAS A JERK AND I APOLOGIZE TO KEVIN

Looks like I'm going to be buying some of Kevin's new U.S. made batteries!!

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd mention that I learned something from this thread. Not about batteries exploding, I've already known about that, but about a good supplier that stands behind his products and hangs in there even when given a bit of a bad time on here. I'm going to remember Kevin (and BatteryStation.com) next time I'm buying some batteries. (update - 50 ordered).

And another thing. That Panasonic is the manufacturer of CR123 batteries in the US. Amazing.

Also, don't leave batteries in series lights with electronic switches, just to be extra safe...

Thanks for your support,

-- Alan

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Oh No!!! :eek::huh::sigh: This is a freaking nightmare.

Its like we've advanced our tech to some quazi level of Star-Trek
where the phazer gun is set to overload and will blow the ship apart
if its not disposed of real quick!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's why I use battery types that will allow me to keep the ship and just replace the phaser gun if need be. If most have issue with alkalines and the enviro, prove it by introducing a safer technology than volatile lithium chemistries.
Cold weather performance vs. the possibility of losing you're biggest investment or worse just does not even out.

I have one lithium battery in my entire household I have to worry with (cellphone) and that's one too many IMO.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just thought I'd mention that I learned something from this thread. Not about batteries exploding, I've already known about that, but about a good supplier that stands behind his products and hangs in there even when given a bit of a bad time on here. I'm going to remember Kevin next time I'm buying some batteries.

And another thing. That Panasonic is the manufacturer of CR123 batteries in the US. Amazing.

Also, don't leave batteries in series lights with electronic switches, just to be extra safe...

Thanks for your support,

-- Alan

Ditto on all points! His actions here changed my opinion on B.S. Merry Christmas, Kevin.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

more like a dream come true.
Aye Capt'n the warp drive just cant take anymore, and were gonna' have a containment breech.
Com'on Scotty just a bit more light, i can almost see the klingons , take it to 110% ,Spock quit your logical wimpering and see if you can get that anti-mater mix to doubble.. More , power, give , me , more power... Sulu, take life support off-line permanentally. O'hura quit hailing with that cellphone and rig the deflector dish for visable light output

Last edited:

mikehill

Enlightened

sawlight

Enlightened
Ditto on all points! His actions here changed my opinion on B.S. Merry Christmas, Kevin.

Yes indeed!!! I even made it a point to purchase some items from Kevin right before Christmas!!
This has made a very favorable impression on me!!!

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi Mikehill- some process in the CPF text editor shortens the link - see those '...'
The trick is not to drag you cursor over the link to copy.
Just left click on the link and choose -copy link-
then paste into the top address bar and it'll open.

Just tried it and the MIT bbs still has it up.
The MIT guys are real envious whenever Stanford does a breakthru like this.
Kind of a eastcoast vs westcoast thing.

http://www.mitbbs.com/mitbbs_article.php?board=NanoST&id=29990370&ap=449

mikehill

Enlightened
Hi Mikehill- some process in the CPF text editor shortens the link - see those '...'
The trick is not to drag you cursor over the link to copy.
Just left click on the link and choose -copy link-
then paste into the top address bar and it'll open.

Just tried it and the MIT bbs still has it up.
The MIT guys are real envious whenever Stanford does a breakthru like this.
Kind of a eastcoast vs westcoast thing.

http://www.mitbbs.com/mitbbs_article.php?board=NanoST&id=29990370&ap=449

Thanks, will try it now :)

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin is the man. Such a stand up guy.
And he must have a large, large number of customers but he never fails to get back to my emails promptly.

I'm going to be buying some more stuff from him as we speak =)

Way to go Kevin!

jezzyp

Enlightened
How do I identify these older BS batteries?

I have both AA and CR123 that I bought around 2 years ago. I've had a few of the AAs go flat whilst in storage (not in any device).

soffiler

Enlightened
...I have both AA and CR123 that I bought around 2 years ago. I've had a few of the AAs go flat whilst in storage (not in any device).

That supports Canuke's hypothesis regarding JimH's failure. The RR lantern has four AA's in series and an electronic switch that draws a tiny current continuously. If one of those four AA's goes flat all by itself, the other three tend to reverse-charge it as current is drawn from them. The current is tiny so this process will take a long time. 8 months is in the right ballpark.

Message: devices using multiple cells and electronic switches should be stored empty.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh bleep! I was caught in the cold with 4 of the CR123 version only to find 4 dead cells! What's up with this? Even with all this technology it's still; BUYER BEWARE!

chiphead