W A R N I N G - BS Battery Explodes

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow !

Certainly an eye-opening thread ! :eek:

Glad that i strictly use Energizer Lithium cells (L91 & L92)

Your stainless-steel tool-chest has proven to be a wise investment. :thumbsup:
_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you made it out okay, you might want to go to a doctor after breathing any of that junk, just to make sure you didn't inhale dangerous amounts. It still amazes me how these lithium problems just come out of left field, but I wonder if somehow those cells wouldn't have vented if they were stored outside of the light.

For all lithium cell users, I recommend that if the light is used very occasionally, store the cells away from anything flammable and anywhere a fire could threaten the entire house. Currently I have about 30 lithium cells in my room mostly BS but I think I have 1 Surefire cell, none of them are stored in a light, and I have never had a problem with the cells.

Seems like the only time these things happen is when cells are stored inside lights. I imagine if someone took the time to bring up some old battery posts, most if not all cells that vented were stored improperly inside a light, or mis charged.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry about that. I wish I could list all the times that all sorts of types and brands of lithium batteries have done this. It is a lot. I am not trying to excuse myself but rather make a very important point. Low percentage in number sold but still happens to all brands. Please everyone be careful when dealing with ALL lithium chemistries. Mostly Polymers right now. They seem to make the biggest fireballs. Please let me know what lights were damaged and I will replace them. Our CR123A is now made in the USA in the hopes of less liklihood of this type of thing happening. That battery passed UL approval too!!! Thousands of dollars spent on making sure it was SAFE! We discontinued this battery under pressure from competition. Please email me and we will make this up to you straight away.

Kevin, What a good gesture of kindness :) :twothumbs it's very rare that manufacturers would cover for the damage.

JimH, I m glad that you and house are safe. Some times, rather more often, It's the flashlights that exert extreme stress on batteries both physically and electronically.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Jim , glad to see that your organisation and investment paid off, "you the man" with the stainless steel tool chest :thumbsup: that is crasy.

D-Dog

Enlightened
Wow...first off, glad to hear everything is ok. Does anyone know/think if an ammo box is sufficent protection from an exploding cell (aka place to store good cells safely)?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...first off, glad to hear everything is ok. Does anyone know/think if an ammo box is sufficent protection from an exploding cell (aka place to store good cells safely)?

i will just mention that people blew up ammo boxes in testing. (purposfull occurance)
you need some sort of heat prevenative contaiment, without gas buildup containment. usually you just need to be able to contain a "4th of July" type fountain, but sometimes a ignition of internally built up gasses.
so the containment sorta needs to allow for rapid or explosive expansion without becoming the shrapnel of said expansion, or the gas bomb of said ignition.

so myself i prefer metalic containment with loose lid (so to speak)
his steel tool box ends up being a good containment , without it being being so sealed up.

Last edited:

dan_

Newly Enlightened
so far I have only heard of exploding batteries vom BS.. or is it known to someone that SF or other brand batteries explode as well?

I know this happens maybe once in a million but that doesn´t help if you´re the winner :poof:

Anyways, I´m replacing all my BS Li-ion batteries and replace them with new panasonic ones. :ironic:

I thought this would only happen to Li-ion batteries... :shakehead

Be lucky that you were home and that the battery exploded in a safe place. I´ve got my lights all over the house & wouldn´t have had such luck as you did.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
These were recalled a while ago. Battery Station was really helpful about replacing them too.. I sent all of mine in.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, was this battery just sitting there fine and dandy inside the light or was it left on under load and severely discharged ? or maybe turned on accidentally ?

batterystation

Enlightened
I really hope everyone understands that these were deemed "safe" by Underwriters Laboratories but so are many others and others have also gone poof. I cannot emphasize enough to be careful with ALL lithium chemistry batteries. This is NOT brand specific. Lithium Polymers have burned more homes down and RVs than anything so far. Every company tries to make their batteries safe but still the odds are that sooner or later something will go wrong with any type of battery. They are stored energy and lithiums are way MORE stored energy. I don't know why these things happen but since we move more lithium batteries than anyone else in the country (I think) we have seen this happen. I am sincerely sorry and will replace the batteries with Energizers and the lights with whatever I have that is equal or better.

FAA regulations are moving fast to ban lithiums of any kind on passenger aircraft. A few incidents have got an entire industry changing directions. Do not be surprised to see the day that all lithiums might have to ship ground and perhaps even as hazmat. It could make a nice hobby VERY expensive.

Posts regarding "name brand" seem to be more correct than no name. Though that AA was UL rated and ISO made, it was still imported. A lot of money was spent (and lost) on that project. We were trying as hard as possible to do a good thing. Our CR123A is now made by one of the "big three" here in the USA at a 30% higher cost but was worth it. The US battery manufacturers still lead the world on quality and safety.

Anyone that has these batteries is welcome to send them back for exchage with USA CR123A batteries since I don't have a comperable AA. I am sorry I don't know why this happened but it does not make me sleep well.

I will NEVER put profit ahead of quality or safety. Never.......

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I think they are suppose to, but these BS versions don't and never have. :shrug:

might want to toss those out....:eek:oo:
I have no idea how a battery would register almost at 2Vs when its spec'd around 1.7V

Batterystation, I've heard about the additional effort in ZTS all cells prior to purchase, that is a good thing indeed:grin2:, but tell me if you will, where exactly is the source of BS cells? Even if its made in US, something has to be done...with all the good things I've heard about BS brand I would find it unreasonable for the company to slip failed QC cells from flawed manufacturing into the market and having you as a dealer to bear the cross for it, if it is the manufacturer's fault of course.:crazy:

Last edited:

batterystation

Enlightened
Even if its made in US, something has to be done...with all the good things I've heard about BS brand I would find it unreasonable for the company to slip failed QC cells from flawed manufacturing into the market and having you as a dealer to bear the cross for it, if it is the manufacturer's fault of course.:crazy:[/SIZE]

That AA LFB-AA was NOT made in the USA. Our CR123A is now made in the USA and is of less concern but people need to be careful of ALL lithium chemistries. I cannot stress this enough. They are an unreal amount of stored energy in a tiny package.

AnalogDog

Newly Enlightened
I recently got some information from an equipment manufacturer who stated that Li batteries should not be used in their instruments as water contact with the Li chemistry makes the battery explode.

We are talking about water level transducers here, so water is everywhere.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really hope everyone understands that these were deemed "safe" by Underwriters Laboratories but so are many others and others have also gone poof. I cannot emphasize enough to be careful with ALL lithium chemistry batteries. This is NOT brand specific. Lithium Polymers have burned more homes down and RVs than anything so far. Every company tries to make their batteries safe but still the odds are that sooner or later something will go wrong with any type of battery. They are stored energy and lithiums are way MORE stored energy. I don't know why these things happen but since we move more lithium batteries than anyone else in the country (I think) we have seen this happen. I am sincerely sorry and will replace the batteries with Energizers and the lights with whatever I have that is equal or better.

FAA regulations are moving fast to ban lithiums of any kind on passenger aircraft. A few incidents have got an entire industry changing directions. Do not be surprised to see the day that all lithiums might have to ship ground and perhaps even as hazmat. It could make a nice hobby VERY expensive.

Posts regarding "name brand" seem to be more correct than no name. Though that AA was UL rated and ISO made, it was still imported. A lot of money was spent (and lost) on that project. We were trying as hard as possible to do a good thing. Our CR123A is now made by one of the "big three" here in the USA at a 30% higher cost but was worth it. The US battery manufacturers still lead the world on quality and safety.

Anyone that has these batteries is welcome to send them back for exchage with USA CR123A batteries since I don't have a comperable AA. I am sorry I don't know why this happened but it does not make me sleep well.

I will NEVER put profit ahead of quality or safety. Never.......

Kevin, would you care to disclose the plant and manufacturer making the batteries for you ?

Please understand I am in no way challenging you to do this if it in some way inconveniences you, it is just that so many of us are still up inthe air on this and don´t even know where the plants are located or who makes what for whom. It would just give us added confidence in the product. there was even talk recently of Duracell 123´s not made by their own plant anymore.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got some information from an equipment manufacturer who stated that Li batteries should not be used in their instruments as water contact with the Li chemistry makes the battery explode.

We are talking about water level transducers here, so water is everywhere.

most of them are sealed intitally from the lithium getting contact with the outside, untill something happens, , , they are sealed.

from the Energyser safety sheet again
Under normal conditions of use, the battery is hermetically sealed

so normally water would not enter the place lithium is , after venting though it could, so they are probably wise to protect themselves this way. especially if rusting (oxidising) of the containment would occur.

AnalogDog

Newly Enlightened
most of them are sealed intitally from the lithium getting contact with the outside, untill something happens, , , they are sealed.

from the Energyser safety sheet again
Under normal conditions of use, the battery is hermetically sealed

so normally water would not enter the place lithium is , after venting though it could, so they are probably wise to protect themselves this way. especially if rusting (oxidising) of the containment would occur.

I completely understand. But when instruments are in water with Li batteries, and there is an explosion potential, I personally don't care to play with $1200 transducers and my life.

What we have learned in this post is enlightening enough. I am not sure how these batteries can spontaneously explode, but I don't care to do the testing to figure it out.