want to make or convert light into Focus light for underwater photography Help please

globalmark

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I want to make some sort of focus light for underwater photography - NOT a focusable light , basically a lamp with a wide beam (min 60˚ but upto 120˚+ is fine) doesnt need a long throw so much as usually used pretty short range.
something like this http://www.bigblue.com.hk/ff-1x5-afo.html or http://www.backscatter.com/sku/fe-ledfl.lasso with maybe bit more lumens/power
needs a sensor or auto shut off so when underwater flash (strobe) fires then this actually turns off for a second or two.

Or Suggestions of a Lamp i can buy and simply add a sensor ?

Does anyone have any ideas where to start - where I can buy a sensor or this parts and what bulb (Led) is best that does not have a hotspot and a wide beam - and any ideas with driver wiring etc.
Can either mod a existing dive torch or make a drop in module change something but need l need help really with the electrics other bit i should be able to sort out ..
I have had a really good search online and here also but couldn't find much on DIY Focus lamps with the auto Off feature ..

Thanks in Advance all
cheers Mark

Walterk

Enlightened
In what respect are the bigblue and the backscatter not fulfilling your needs?
I would think your questions on the driving part are better answered in an electronics forum; here the majority make mods from readily available building blocks, and your timer-strobe-flash function is quite specific for photographic equipment.

globalmark

Newly Enlightened
Hi Walterk

thanks for the reply , - good suggestion the Electronics forum , i shall ask there . But don't really want to get to technical , i want to buy the fewest parts i can to build not go soldering circuit boards (beyond my skill level)
the Backscatter torch I already have and works ok but plastic , floods often and just not enough power - but has the useful auto off feature when flash fires ..
the Bigblue - seems ok But they are expensive and reading reviews from people complain they are massive in size , focus lights should be small and light as clip on top of camera housing .
And i like the challenge of building my own .

Thanks for the thoughts though ,
mark