• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Haiku High CRI

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
how i wish i could afford one of these.. no shelf queen for her... i would wear it daily... show it off to my uninterested in flashlights friend... ahh, who am i kidding? i can wish cant i? ha

Haiku high CRI and XM-L are my favorite flashlights, but sad to say they are not lights made for the uninitiated. I have shown mine to some of my friends who thinks that I am nuts for spending so much on a flashlight with lesser output than some of the cheapie Chinese made lights with zoom optics. I have given up showing my McGizmo lights to my friends as the uninitiated always look at output more than design and built factor. As long as I love what I have it is all that matters, and because of McGizmo titanium lights I have given up on all the other brands except HDS and Surefire.

stoli67

Enlightened
I am with you.... My haiku XML gets carried most over all else.... Love the output....love the beam.... And if I loose it then I can get another within a week to make the pain go away..... The only lights that come close for me are clickies and other McGizmos.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I commented above about recalling a 219 having multiple dice and that is my recall but it may relate to a part that is no longer in production.

I see more mention of the Nichia 219 and think I should add some more info based on current Nichia offerings in the 119 and 219. For starters from what I can gather the only difference between the 119 and 219 at this point is the footprint as relates to the mounting of the LED. The 119 has two solder pads and the 219 has three pads allowing it to be mounted on the same footprint as the Cree XP-G. But there are other differences and versions which I don't think has been caught by some of us. Nichia refers to these various LED's as the x19 series and in their identification the parts are prefixed with a NCS or NVS and the C and V are significant. The C designates a 1.0 mm x 1.0 mm die and max current of 700 mA. The presently available V * designate a 1.3 mm x1.3 mm die and max current of 1500 mA. NCS and NVS are available in both 219A and 119A . Al of these are avalable in the H1 designation which means high CRI. There is actually even more to a full part number and other distinctions than I have hit on here. Of signficance to many of us is the CCT binning which is additional and not specified in the part number designation mentioned above.

* There is mention in a spec sheet I have of an in development NVSx19B which will sport a 1.4 mmx1.4 mm die.

The Nichia part numbers and bin designations require a fair amount of study to figure out and of course continue to evolve. I would also add that for those of you interested in collimation of beam the die size and its relative surface brightness is something to consider.

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm with Andy and Andrew. For my purposes, McGizmo makes the best flashlights available, all things considered. Followed by Muyshondt, HDS and Surefire. Not much else interests me lately.

I really need to put together funds for a HI CRI Haiku before these emitters disappear like the 083Bs and warm XP-Gs. :eek:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
... The C designates a 1.0 mm x 1.0 mm die and max current of 700 mA. The presently available V * designate a 1.3 mm x1.3 mm die and max current of 1500 mA. NCS and NVS are available in both 219A and 119A ...

Thanks for that info. I noticed the difference in die size but didn't know what the variable was for this.
So the C series would be more throwier than the V series.

Also, another important difference between the "C" and "V" regardless of 119 or 219 is the Vf.
The "V" series seems to have an overall lower Vf compared to the "C" series.

Here is a pic showing the difference in die size between a "C" and "V" 119:
LED119H1H3.jpg

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Andy and Andrew. For my purposes, McGizmo makes the best flashlights available, all things considered. Followed by Muyshondt, HDS and Surefire. Not much else interests me lately.

I really need to put together funds for a HI CRI Haiku before these emitters disappear like the 083Bs and warm XP-Gs. :eek:
Which other emitter/s are you interested in? I have been thinking if I should get an XP-G Haiku as well but am not sure where it would fit in my EDC rotation since I really like the XM-L that I have because of the floodier beam profile.

stoli67

Enlightened
I have a warm XPG and an XML and the XPG rarely gets a look in now....

My High CRI Light Engine is is my mule for reading to the kids and for photography

My LS20 just came back from Dafabricata with a neutral XML flood and Neutral XPG with reflector!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

My High CRI Light Engine is is my mule for reading to the kids and for photography

My LS20 just came back from Dafabricata with a neutral XML flood and Neutral XPG with reflector!
The DaFabricata mod sounds like a cool idea. Makes the LS20 much more of a gem.

nbp

Flashaholic
Which other emitter/s are you interested in? I have been thinking if I should get an XP-G Haiku as well but am not sure where it would fit in my EDC rotation since I really like the XM-L that I have because of the floodier beam profile.

As everyone LOVES the Nichia 119, I feel like I should give it another try. But as long as beam quality is decent, I'm not usually a total tint snob, so I don't know if it's really worth it to get that setup, or if it would be improvement enough to get carried much. Right now I carry the XP-G version, which I am generally very happy with. I think it's a good compromise of throw and spill, but I also realize that I don't often need a ton of throw, so maybe in all actuality I would best suited by the X-ML. However, I do carry the XM-L Mule with the XP-G Haiku, so when I need flood, I have plenty, hence I don't know if I really need the floodier Haiku beam. Maybe I have already created a satisfactory pair for most situations???? I wish I could just put the XM-L LE from the Mule in the Haiku to test it out and see if I like it, but I think I remember reading that the XM-L cannot go in the XP-G reflector as the hole isn't big enough; does anyone else remember that? SO, basically I just want all the Haikus, but maybe I am already set with the one I have, I don't know. :thinking:

That is quite interesting...

The blue O-ring in the PD Mule looks great! Where did you get them from, and what are they made of?

EDIT: Oh yeah, the LS20 looks good too. :D

I think the blue ones are from Jason at Dark Sucks, kinda his trademark now.

And the DaFab 20 is amazing! :wow:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As everyone LOVES the Nichia 119, I feel like I should give it another try. But as long as beam quality is decent, I'm not usually a total tint snob, so I don't know if it's really worth it to get that setup, or if it would be improvement enough to get carried much. Right now I carry the XP-G version, which I am generally very happy with.
I just got another 119 Haiku and am going to send it to you so you can see if it's worth considering or not. I didn't like my first Haiku at all and the only difference between the one I couldn't stand and the one I couldn't get rid of is the emitter.

Haven't received it yet so it may take a week or so to get sent off to you - hang in there!

nbp

Flashaholic
kaichu dento said:
I just got another 119 Haiku and am going to send it to you so you can see if it's worth considering or not. I didn't like my first Haiku at all and the only difference between the one I couldn't stand and the one I couldn't get rid of is the emitter.

Haven't received it yet so it may take a week or so to get sent off to you - hang in there!

Are you sure Pete?! That would be very cool of you, but you certainly don't have to do that!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As everyone LOVES the Nichia 119, I feel like I should give it another try. But as long as beam quality is decent, I'm not usually a total tint snob, so I don't know if it's really worth it to get that setup, or if it would be improvement enough to get carried much. Right now I carry the XP-G version, which I am generally very happy with. I think it's a good compromise of throw and spill, but I also realize that I don't often need a ton of throw, so maybe in all actuality I would best suited by the X-ML. However, I do carry the XM-L Mule with the XP-G Haiku, so when I need flood, I have plenty, hence I don't know if I really need the floodier Haiku beam. Maybe I have already created a satisfactory pair for most situations???? I wish I could just put the XM-L LE from the Mule in the Haiku to test it out and see if I like it, but I think I remember reading that the XM-L cannot go in the XP-G reflector as the hole isn't big enough; does anyone else remember that? SO, basically I just want all the Haikus, but maybe I am already set with the one I have, I don't know. :thinking:
I think you are all covered. From what I see, you don't really need the XM-L Haiku and you are right about the reflector fit. XR-E and XM-L seems to share the same emitter, and I believe the Nichia 119 and the XP-G share another set of reflectors. As for whether you should get the 119 high CRI Haiku really depends on what you needed. I find the weaker output of the Nichia seems to be compensated with the more throwier beam profile so it is not too bad. In fact, it is enough for 99% of what I needed a light for in the woods.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's very noble of you for a fellow CPFer. Salute!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Are you sure Pete?! That would be very cool of you, but you certainly don't have to do that!
Yeah, I know - and you didn't have to complicate the heck out of your first Clicky order either! PM me your address, as I'm sure I don't have it on hand, and like I said, it'll probably be at least a week before I can get it to you.
That's very noble of you for a fellow CPFer. Salute!
He's helped me out, and it's not that big a deal, since I have another one to cover me. Can't wait for the 119 to hit output levels like we're seeing out of a couple other lights now - 200-300 lumens would be great.

nbp

Flashaholic
pjandyho said:
I think you are all covered. From what I see, you don't really need the XM-L Haiku and you are right about the reflector fit. XR-E and XM-L seems to share the same emitter, and I believe the Nichia 119 and the XP-G share another set of reflectors. As for whether you should get the 119 high CRI Haiku really depends on what you needed. I find the weaker output of the Nichia seems to be compensated with the more throwier beam profile so it is not too bad. In fact, it is enough for 99% of what I needed a light for in the woods.

I think you are probably right. In most scenarios I believe the XP-G is a great beam for me. I just can't help wanting them all though. :devil: I am eager to try the Nichia and see how I like that. Maybe it will supplant the XP-G, who knows?? Maybe I can order the XM-L head sans LE from Don at some point to try with the engine and body I have and give that a try.

kaichu dento said:
Yeah, I know - and you didn't have to complicate the heck out of your first Clicky order either! PM me your address, as I'm sure I don't have it on hand, and like I said, it'll probably be at least a week before I can get it to you. He's helped me out, and it's not that big a deal, since I have another one to cover me. Can't wait for the 119 to hit output levels like we're seeing out of a couple other lights now - 200-300 lumens would be great.

Don't let him fool ya Andy, Pete's helped me out a couple times before already too. :nana: He's good people.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait for the 119 to hit output levels like we're seeing out of a couple other lights now - 200-300 lumens would be great.
Precisely. Although I hardly needed anything more powerful than that for my EDC usage, I have to agree that more might be better. OTOH, I would rather much prefer it to have a lower low output than what is currently being offered. I am sure you feel the same Pete?