• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Makai 6V (2x123)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
Not having any clue as to how the 6V would perform on a single CR123, I did the obvious. I screwed one on a single cell pak and turned it on. There was light. I would need to confirm with the designer through my intermediary as to what overhead the converter might place on the LED but it appears to the naked eye to be essentially in direct drive. There are no levels to choose from and I would guess this is based on the minimum Vin of 3.6V I was informed of before. The converter probably needs 3.6 V to have its controller function and provide various levels of PWM. It might be interesting using a Li-Ion single cell and seeing how long one would have level selection and at what output strengths. :shrug:

The amount of light that came out was certainly useable. I won't guess at what flux it might be nor will I guess at the flux of the Makai 6V running in regulation on 6V. It would be over 200 lumens on high but as to where above this, no idea. My integrating sphere can not accept the Makai head effectively.

fyrstormer

Banned
So, it sounds like, if you were lost in the woods with a 2x123 Makai, a 1x123 Clicky Pak, and a single 3V cell, and your main batteries died, you wouldn't be left completely in the dark. :D

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I am now temporarily out of the 2x123 McClickie paks. I will advise as soon as I have more on hand.
Thanks!

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I Received The Light This Morning.....All I Can Say Is WOW. This Has Definitely Exceeded My Expectations, Much Smaller Than I Thought It Would Be Too.

If You Dont Have One Of These Yet, You Are Definitely Missing Out.

:twothumbs

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW that was fast:thumbsup:. I was first to order one and I will be last to receive:popcorn:. It usually takes between 2 to 4 weeks to receive a package in Canada from the US? I have found Royal Air Mail (UK) to be the fastest at about a week:rock:. I'm know my wait will be worth it, I've never been anything but happy with a McGizmo :clap:. I'm looking forward to everyone's comments, beam shots, and reviews while I wait lovecpf

Thanks
Todd

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,
Not having any clue as to how the 6V would perform on a single CR123, I did the obvious. I screwed one on a single cell pak and turned it on. There was light. I would need to confirm with the designer through my intermediary as to what overhead the converter might place on the LED but it appears to the naked eye to be essentially in direct drive. There are no levels to choose from and I would guess this is based on the minimum Vin of 3.6V I was informed of before. The converter probably needs 3.6 V to have its controller function and provide various levels of PWM. It might be interesting using a Li-Ion single cell and seeing how long one would have level selection and at what output strengths. :shrug:

The amount of light that came out was certainly useable. I won't guess at what flux it might be nor will I guess at the flux of the Makai 6V running in regulation on 6V. It would be over 200 lumens on high but as to where above this, no idea. My integrating sphere can not accept the Makai head effectively.

Excellent news. That means I can pack a dummy cell and have an emergency backup light out on the trail. That's like a 2 gram insurance policy. I was really hoping for that answer.... :party: If anyone wants to do a 1x123 runtime test on a 2x123 head, I would surely appreciate it.

Several years ago, I had a SureFire U2 tailcap fail on day 2 of a 9 day backpack. Without the long runtime of that light, we were going to be screwed for batteries, since we did most of our hiking at night and packed light. Fortunately, I managed to pilfer the twisty tailcap from the M4 which saved the day, but ever since I pay a LOT more attention to redundant backup and replacement options.

I will generally pack an extra PD Mule head in case I have a failure in one of the PD heads out on trail. The Mule head is so light it's a no brainer to throw it in as backup.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
How About Some Eye Candy..:grin2:

DSC06407.jpg

DSC06413.jpg

DSC06420.jpg

DSC06423.jpg

DSC06416.jpg

Rossymeister

Enlightened
This Thing Runs Perfectly Off Of An AW 17670. You Have To Take The Outer Label Off Though. I Have Ran It About 45 Minutes Now With No Reduction In Brightness.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I've got 2 2-pak McClickies & all my AW 17670s have no silver labels anymore.... FWIW the trustfire 17670s are considerably larger diameter.

Do Your AW Batteries Have A Tight Fit?

Is There Any Reason To Worry That These Might Get Stuck?

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This Thing Runs Perfectly Off Of An AW 17670. You Have To Take The Outer Label Off Though. I Have Ran It About 45 Minutes Now With No Reduction In Brightness.

Will it shift through the three levels Ok?

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Will it shift through the three levels Ok?

I Went Ahead And Recharged The Battery, But At The 45 Minute Mark, Everything Was Functioning As Intended.

I Was Using A Combination Of Medium And High.(Mostly High :eek:)

EDIT: I Have A Feeling That It Will Run Much Longer With The 17670 Battery, No Idea How Long, But It Is A Nice Alternative To RCRs Or Primarys.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do Your AW Batteries Have A Tight Fit?

Is There Any Reason To Worry That These Might Get Stuck?
Don makes no guarantee that they will fit. In mine they are a tight fit. To remove them I hold the light in my hand with the open end outwards, the light held so that when the battery starts to move it won't fly out but hit my cupped fingers. I then swing my arm - usually the 17670 moves ~1/2 inch, I then grab it and pull.

Yeah it's a tight fit. I'm not concerned about it getting stuck, you can always remove the clicky and push it out.

If your not forcing it in, it will come out.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see the 2x123 "swell" body back, Don! It wouldn't make sense on the 2xAA body, but for reasons not related to logic, I missed the swell on it nonetheless.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have touchdown in Tennessee. Man, this big ol' chuck of machined Ti is beeuuuteeeful!

Initial comments posted here and here.

Last edited: