• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Mule & Haiku lights using the Cree XM-L LEDs

Vernon

Enlightened
When I first received my Haiku XM-L from Don a couple of months ago, I was a little taken back by the floody, not-as-bright as my "other" lights, beam. After receiving many more custom lights since then I can honestly say it is hands down my favourite EDC light and one that I will most likely never sell.
If I could change one thing on it though it would be the tint - I would prefer something a little warmer, say in the 5000K - 5500K range. But the cool tint it comes with is not hard to fall in love with. You will like yours.

On the lumen issue...
I realize now more than ever that lumens really mean nothing. It's ALL about beam pattern ;)

100% agree.

GSDnPWC

Newly Enlightened
I can feel your excitement in your post.
This is your first but would not be your last. :)

That is what I'm hearing. Really looking forward to it. Don's speed was impressive, I got a reply that it was ready less than 6 hours after I sent my email. Awesome customer service.

jalal20

Enlightened
Don are you offering XML2 option? I've seen on a japanese websites some of your lights with an XML2 claim from them and I just wanna be sure

biglights

Enlightened
Don are you offering XML2 option? I've seen on a japanese websites some of your lights with an XML2 claim from them and I just wanna be sure

At the levels these are driven at there would hardly be any noticeable differance in output. A small increase in runtime would be all you would gain.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
At the levels these are driven at there would hardly be any noticeable differance in output. A small increase in runtime would be all you would gain.

I am not sure you can count on a difference in runtime, one way or the other either because it depends on the specific Vf of the individual LED's and Cree does not bin these on Vf.

I did purchase some XM-L2 LED for use with the Aqua Lights I hope to be building one of thee days in the not to distant future. I got the brightest flux I could get in the XM-L2 and what I have is the same color temp bin and flux as the XM-L's I am presently building with so biglights comment is correct.

I got the XM-L2's because the LED can handle higher current and since the Aqua Lights will be driving the LED at 1400-1500 mA range I felt it advisable to have the added overhead even though the XM-L would still be within spec. The only difference I can see between the XM-L and XM-L2 I have to work with is a difference in physical appearance of the LED itself; nothing in its performance.

I haven't offered the option or addressed it with my current offerings because there is no difference in performance to be gained nor any advantage I can perceive.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I should add that my friend in Japan provided XM-L2's for some lights I built for him and they are of the same bin I have. There is no functional or performance difference and in regards to lumen maintenance, because I am underdriving the LEDs there is no gain to be had there as far as I can tell.

rnsams

Newly Enlightened
Just got notification of shipment!i have posted a somewhat pathetic plea for assistance in picking a rechargable cell for. my new haiku. Any assistance is appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got notification of shipment!i have posted a somewhat pathetic plea for assistance in picking a rechargable cell for. my new haiku. Any assistance is appreciated!

I am using AW RCR123 (16340) and for charging i use the Xtar VP1 with double charging bays and LED voltage display.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although regulated, the McGizmo Haiku does not have low voltage warning or cutoff. For this reason is it best to use protected li-ions. Several people have responded to your request, which wasn't so pathetic. Good questions and we'll point you to some interesting reading.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I trust AW batteries if going RCR. Some of my batteries are already 5 or 6 years old and they are still working perfectly.

rnsams

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic advice, thank y'all so much for the help!

billygoat

Newly Enlightened
Just put in my email with Don for the Haiku XM-L 1x123, plus ¼" x 20 Ti clip. Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to getting it!

Bill

billygoat

Newly Enlightened
Will be using it as an EDC, so really don't need a tether. May pick one up in the future when finances recover.

Latest posts