Way cool GE lights: 300-400 lumen, 3000k

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received two of the three versions of this light; the third is on it's way to me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKJXNQU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

GE enbrighten lights on Amazon are rectangular, picture frame shaped lights that either plug in or run on 6xAA's. Before going any farther, what makes these lights interesting? The light quality. A warm, very bright smooth as glass flood at just the right color temp. No other battery powered light like it. Blows away Energizer fusion lanterns, of which I have several. Available for 15-29 bucks; I think they're a bargain.

The build is very good quality but not intended for water resistance, so not a traditional lantern in that respect. It's aimed at being an acceptable or attractive part of your home decor.

3 models all of the same look, size and light quality. A plugin nightlight style with motion sensor. Similar light that's 6xAA powered, and lastly a 6xAA version with a pressure on/off switch.

Some interesting features. All have a brushed nickel front and solid multi position kickstand, as well as keyhole mount and hardware. The tube shaped light emitter is around 3" long and has a plastic diffusion shroud (removable). All have dimmer functions, with two of them being a continuous slider, the other a three-mode brightness.

The on/off 6aa one is the most lantern like. Current draw is 30ma on lowest setting and 400ma on high. So, a very respectable 4+ hours of high using standard eneloops. The pressure switch requires your finger to join two metal contacts for activation. It is not a clicky and has no moving parts. The range of output varies greatly, making it a super useful light. The excellent warm tint makes this light very pleasant to have on for all uses. It shuts off automatically after an hour to preserve battery power.

The plugin nightlight version is a little brighter (400 lu vs 300), but not noticeable unless side by side. It covers both outlets intentionally to turn a vacant outlet into what looks like a light fixture, not a plasticky cheap nightlight. Great warm tint for nightlight function that's easy on the eyes. In that mode, dimming it to almost lowest output is necessary. In full blast mode (GE compares it to a 40W incan bulb. They're right), it's the best hallway etc light I've seen. The motion sensor activation only works in darkness, and stays on for 5 mins after the last motion is detected. I think that is great if you are moving in and out of an area; it stays on until you're done and leave.

The 6xAA motion version is en route. I ordered it immediately after receiving the first two. It has three output levels and will make a superb closet light, etc.

GE did a nice job on build quality, looks, function, features, light quality and quantity, as well as price.

Bravo.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Is there a version that will plug into the outlet, and then use batteries as a backup, in the event of a power outage?

Also, I am curious, is it similar to the GE enbrighten lantern in that it uses a blue led that activates a phospher?
I believe the Enbrighten LED technology is similar to the "remote phosphor" technology used on the older 300 Lumen version which means, from my understanding, that the actual led is surrounded by a Phosphor coated outer cover that the LED excites the phosphor on to provide the visible light. The new 1000 Lumen Coleman is using similar technology for it's emitter. Supposedly greatly reduces glare compared to naked LEDs. The actual LED used is probably a short wave blue or violet light output LED without a phosphor coating.
Thread on GE Enbrighten lantern

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No AC with battery backup version. They are aiming more at light quality, quantity and looks than emergency functions. No, I believe they are using COB led technology as opposed to a standard Cree type star with the proprietary remote phosphor that the lantern uses.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stands for chips on board. A variation of smd LEDs on a strip. Diodes so close that they appear to be one large emitter.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Woohoo, new toy, ty Phaser

sEbtbIF.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
Could be a nice light for my shed. Price is OK, but since I don't go in there at night often, the cost of 6AA Lithium cells would be a waste. Eneloops won't hold up well in that environment; I've proved that in my car unfortunately.

Latest posts