What are considered the best AA and AAA batteries for general use?

Viking

Enlightened
I am not a battery nerd , so maybe others can answer this question.

Is it more accurate to measure the total energy loss over time ( mwh ) rather than just the mah , if you want to measure the true self discharge ?

BTW

I found this new review of 13 different LSD batteries , including Imedion , Eneloop first and second generations as well as eneloop XX.

If you read the comments , some claims that some of the other brands in the test are in fact rebranded Eneloops.

If that is true or not I don't know.

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/low_self_discharge.html

Wrend

Enlightened
@Viking: I wasn't commenting directly on your post. It was just a general observation that most people obsess about having both retained capacity and a high number of recharges.

Higher cycle life, and especially higher cumulative lifetime capacity potential (like the regular Eneloops have), likely means the cells are capable of lasting for a longer useful life and that they're more reliable and cost effective in the long run. The XX cells also cost twice as much, which by my figuring makes them much less cost effective, even on a per capacity per charge basis.

Is it more accurate to measure the total energy loss over time ( mwh ) rather than just the mah , if you want to measure the true self discharge ?

Yes, but if you're comparing the same chemistry types down to a low voltage cutoff, they're going to be proportionally very similar comparisons either way.

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
If you read the comments , some claims that some of the other brands in the test are in fact rebranded Eneloops.

Duracell "Pre-charged" with white top around the positive post are in fact Eneloops made by Sanyo on an OEM basis for Duracell. We call them "Duraloops" around here. I'm not aware that Duracell have switched entirely to a Chinese supplier for their rechargeables; the black top cells (not great performers) were always available at the same time as the white top Duraloops (great performers). From what I've observed at retail the black tops are usually if not always found packaged in special value bundles such as cells+charger or special promotional items. I bought a very good Duracell CEF23 portable charger that included 4 black-top cells; for $14 I considered the cells a throwaway item but I use them in devices other than flashlights.

Apple, Sony and Presidents Choice (a Canadian grocery store giant's house brand) cells likewise are Eneloops. I wasn't personally aware that Energizer brand were also OEMing the Sanyo original Eneloops.

They are good cells that perform well in multiple dimensions, and, thanks to various OEM flavours of the cell, one can often find them at great prices. For the vast majority of cell buyers there isn't much more to think about unless one really needs more capacity and/or doesn't need the low self discharge characteristic - then other cells would be more appealing.

Given the very wide availability of the Eneloop cells, pricing, and performance, they truly do deserve the award (remember this thread's title) for "the best AA and AAA [cells] for general use".

fonzerelli

Newly Enlightened
Eneloop is the only way to fly. I was so excited when they were first announced, I ordered them from Singapore before they were available in the USA. I still use those batteries in my TK40, GPS and other devices, and they work perfectly, six or seven (I think!) years later.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
The XX cells also cost twice as much,

This price difference has been mentioned in several threads but there must be regional differences.

Canadian prices are generally higher than US prices. If tandem is getting Eneloops in Vancouver for $2 each, that's a steal ... no one in my area carries them at anything like that price.

The following prices are for 4 packs, including shipping and taxes:

Earlier this year, Dell Canada was clearing out Eneloops for $15.67 and XXs for $19.03; I bought some of the latter. Walmart Canada currently sells Duraloops for $20.13; most stores charge more. My last Imedion 2400s cost $14.76.

Wrend

Enlightened
Yeah, I think in Australia the regular Eneloops and the XX ones are closer in price too.

I get mine in bulk here in the US from Thomas Distributing (.com), and they're about 2.50 USD per cell for the regular Eneloops and about twice that for the XX cells.

Edit: I don't actually see the XX cells listed there currently, but they have been in the past.

Last edited:

aurgathor

Newly Enlightened
NiZn. I use Powergenix for AA and PKCELL for AAA. (since Powergenix do not have an AAA battery)

I started using NiCd about 10 - 15 years ago, and then later added NiMH, but they didn't work very well in some uses since some devices do not work with their lower voltage. With a rated output of 1.6V, that's not an issue with NiZn.

tandem

Enlightened
Canadian prices are generally higher than US prices. If tandem is getting Eneloops in Vancouver for $2 each, that's a steal ... no one in my area carries them at anything like that price.

I have collected most of mine as Duraloops, bought on sale from Shoppers Drug Mart. They fairly frequently were going on sale over the last couple years for $9.99 but go on as low as $7.99 for their weekend special prices. That's where I get 2 bucks a cell.

I need to pick up another couple dozen AA cells and am biding my time for the next sale. The Canada Deals thread on CPF Marketplace usually is a good one to follow for a heads up on such things.

It may be that Shoppers has blown through their inventory; I've not seen deep discount sales for a while but haven't been looking too closely either.