What brands can you count on every time ??

scriverdog

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an Ultrafire AAA stainless light from DX (Waterproof SA-R2) that arrived defective and I'm trying to sort this out with them. after installing the battery, while trying to re-assemble the torch the light already comes on, before it's even threaded together.

I've cleaned everything I can see with no improvement. when the light is fully screwed together it may or may not come on, but it doesn't stay on if it comes on at all. twisting runs it through the 5 modes without any apparent way to control what its doing.:thumbsdow

DX has asked for photos but they haven't indicated what they are looking for so I don't know if the photos I sent will be helpful.

On Black Friday I ordered an NLight B9 from CNQuality Goods which didn't arrive until February. now after less than a year the light doesn't come on. I may have to click it six or more times and then it may come on, but usually not. I don't see anything obviously wrong and I'm guessing the switch is shot in month 7 of very light use.:ohgeez:

neither light has been dropped or otherwise damaged by me and they've only been used indoors.

OK, I'm out about $50 total for these lights, but had I put that into a fenix or other reputable brand it's doubtful any issues would have come up, especially after such a short time.

in fairness, my romisen rc29 works every time (occasional use), as do all of my ITP lights (EDC) and the one Quark I own but I've now realized that if I want a light I can really depend on the budget lights at best will be hit or miss.

so while it feels good to find a "great" deal now and then, the uncertainty isn't worth it to me.

so what brands have been rock solid reliable for you ??

fishx65

Enlightened
My Solarforce's and Maratacs have been very reliable. Have not had a failure during my many hunting and fishing adventures. I carry 2 main lights with me at all times when in the field. A SF L2 with Manafont 3 mode XML and a Maratac AAA.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had several Ultrafire C3 stainless lights I can tell you the biggest problem is ground contacts. Especially recently it seems they've been rushing on the soldering and often times even though the pill looks soldered the blob of solder contacting the pill pops right off. So I'd double check on the soldering plus make sure the pill is screwd to the head. Another thing I like to do is carefully make a loop of bare copper wire. This goes on in between the pill and flashlight body to ensure proper contact and prevent flickering. The last thing I've noticed particularly with a lot of triple AAA lights and is the most likely culprit for you is the switch. The construction of the switch leaves a lot to be desired. It has too many internal contact points where potential conductivity problems can occur. I've solved this by taking the switch apart and very carefully soldering the spring to the battery negative contact and the soldering the plunger contact, shaped like a top hat, to the spring.

Doing the above has turned my often troublesome C3's and my Tank TK-703 into my most reliable EDC lights. If you can disassemble the tailcap and take aand post a pic of the switch I can tell you if you have the same type of switch as my TK-007. If so then you can PM me and if you want I can even send you one of my specially soldered switches. The funny thing about these Chinese lights is they're as much a hobby as they are a useful tool. Getting them to work just right usually takes some work and finesse but the satisfaction of getting to know you can get them to work properly is well worth their low price and sometimes iffy initial reliability.

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned
My Fenix lights always work. Same with Solarforce, but I do my own dropins.

Any given Ultrafire or lights in that category: I've had to do the same as quertydude. I just accept the fact that I have to tear them down first to fix solder joints and clean/tighten things before I even use them.

And for God's sake why do you mess around with DX?? You might be out $50 for lights, but how much is waiting forever worth? I want my stuff before I die of old age, thank you!

Rich

uh60james

Newly Enlightened
Rock solid? Surefire ($$$) and MagLite as long as you don't break the incan bulbs. Arguments can be made that there are better lights to be had at better prices but they both work when you need them.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Ultrafire and the other chinese XXXfire brands don't have a constant quality. They seem to be branding lights from different manufacturers with different build quality. Solarforce lights are ok, they never failed on me and they seem to have a rather consistent quality.

mfm

Enlightened
Ultrafire and the other chinese XXXfire brands don't have a constant quality. They seem to be branding lights from different manufacturers with different build quality. Solarforce lights are ok, they never failed on me and they seem to have a rather consistent quality.

It's (at least in part) because DX sells fake Ultrafire lights, not made by Ultrafire.

jmcfargee

Newly Enlightened
During the hurricane season of 2005, I can truly say I tested the dependency of my flashlight, and the flashlight I will always depend on is the MagLite. I have a shelf full of them from the D cell to the New LED Mini flashlight.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
It's (at least in part) because DX sells fake Ultrafire lights, not made by Ultrafire.

+1. where you get it matters as much as what brand you get. a lot of the fill-in-the-blankFire lights are actually pretty good if you can get the genuine article. there are just of lot of fakes out there.

jondotcom

Enlightened
Most have no issue with budget lights, and I've had great luck so far.

I own several ultrafire 6p hosts and drop-ins, several 6p solarforce hosts and one drop-in, sipik sk68, olight, itp, and xeno LED.

I would suggest you go with the higher-rated budget lights like the sipik or 6p style lights from solarforce, or spend a little more on ITP/Olight/Xeno type lights.