What charger do you use for 18650, 21700, plus other batteries?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nitecore intellicharger died. It's only a few years old and gets very light use, so I'm not pleased.

What chargers do you use/like? Ideally, I'm looking for a charger with at least four independent slots for 18650 and 21700 batteries.

Nitecore offers more alternatives, and it looks like Fenix has only one 4-slot charger. What if any, other chargers/brands do you have experience with, and would recommend?

Thanks for any input.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out CPF member HKJ's Index of reviewed round cell chargers. It's full of helpful information & reviews. You can sort on any of the columns to focus on what's most important to you.

I am personally fond of Xtar chargers. I'm still using a VP2 for most of my charging but it's obviously only 2 slots & won't fit protected 21700. Right now I'm leaning towards getting a VC4SL for my next charger.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
treek13, thanks so much for that information. I didn't know there was such a comprehensive review of battery chargers. I also didn't realize there were so many different chargers...it simply boggles the mind, and is much too advanced and technical for me, but it is a start.

In a brief look, Gyrfalcon and Xtar look like the best bets. Thanks again!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a modestly priced charger I've been pretty impressed with my Xtar VC4. I think it was only about $18. My only grip is that it doesn't charge batteries all the way to 4.2V. I sometimes top them off in one of my old AW chargers. I also have an old Pila IBC that doesn't always charge to 4.2V either.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Ive had 2 xtar chargers break over the years. First vp2 started smoking one day when i was charging a couple of batteries. My vp4 last night broke s spring on one of the battery slots. I was in the living room watching tv and i heard a loud pop come from the office. Now i can hear something rattling around in there when i shake it. Not sure how i feel about xtar at this point…

brachypelma44

Newly Enlightened
I've been happy enough with my Fenix ARE-A4 that I recently bought a second one. I use them for 14500, 18650, and 21700.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had 2 xtar chargers break over the years. First vp2 started smoking one day when i was charging a couple of batteries. My vp4 last night broke s spring on one of the battery slots. I was in the living room watching tv and i heard a loud pop come from the office. Now i can hear something rattling around in there when i shake it. Not sure how i feel about xtar at this point…

I can definitely see that. They are cheap chargers, but IME seem to work decent. I wouldn't rely on them for mission critical stuff, and the battery insertion is not that great. I had a charger break a spring before as well. Not an Xtar, but one I had years ago. I can definitely see this one possibly breaking a spring sometime when I insert an 18650 or something that length.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Was about the pull the trigger on an Xtar, and then I see the post about breakage. Sigh!

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see the Fenix ARE-A4 charger on HKJ's list. Probably new? In any event, when in doubt, buy both...so will likely pick up the Fenix and an Xtar as back-up. The Fenix should work out well, since I'm also looking at the LR35R light.

BTW, do I recall correctly that slow chargers are better in the long run, for the life of the batteries? Thanks again!

mccririck

Enlightened
Check out CPF member HKJ's Index of reviewed round cell chargers. It's full of helpful information & reviews. You can sort on any of the columns to focus on what's most important to you.

I am personally fond of Xtar chargers. I'm still using a VP2 for most of my charging but it's obviously only 2 slots & won't fit protected 21700. Right now I'm leaning towards getting a VC4SL for my next charger.
Why is the latest review from 2020? Has he stopped reviewing chargers?

mccririck

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Was about the pull the trigger on an Xtar, and then I see the post about breakage. Sigh!

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see the Fenix ARE-A4 charger on HKJ's list. Probably new? In any event, when in doubt, buy both...so will likely pick up the Fenix and an Xtar as back-up. The Fenix should work out well, since I'm also looking at the LR35R light.

BTW, do I recall correctly that slow chargers are better in the long run, for the life of the batteries? Thanks again!
I've had a Xtar SP2 for years and it's still working perfectly. I think it's about 10 years old now.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

rich121

Newly Enlightened