• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What converter board should be made next?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to drive 7 Seoul P7's using a buck uP circuit?

Assuming you want to drive them hard at around 3A it would depend on what your battery voltage would be. If your battery voltage will always be higher than the Vf of the 7 LEDs then you would need a buck converter (larger one than the Shark buck).

If your battery voltage is less than or equal to the Vf of the LEDs then you would need a boost converter and if your fresh cell voltage and your near dead state voltage crosses the Vf of your string you'd need a buck/boost converter.

Seven P7 driven at 3A and assuming a Vf of 3.5V is 73.5W. The Shark Buck can handle power output up to 25W or so.

There are probably many larger drivers out there. I've prototyped one and demonstated it in the Irakongi thread where I was pushing ~100W of power with input voltage around 35V.

Wayne

Daekar

Enlightened
It looks like I'm a little late for the party, but I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one looking for a 0.55" driver that takes 2+ li-ion and outputs 2 or more amps to a P7. I ordered two SOBs to run in parallel to do the job, but the cost is prohibitive for more than a proof-of-concept.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new prototype called the SOB3A. It runs great and is 0.55" diameter. I have not released any information on this except for to a few people.

I don't have any issues with the board. I do have issues with total heat management and higher power drivers like this one. There is the concern of either damaging the LED or burning the end user with a small high power light. This concern made me not release the board last November. It has since been shelved collecting dust.

I believe the next step to move this driver forward is to accomdate a uP piggy board that will allow thermal regulation and multi-level control. Those that want a straight up barn burner can use the base board for high power based applications and hopefully the vast majority will use the two board combo.

I'll add it to the choice.

Wayne

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a buck / boost with more range of of input and output voltage, and 3 - 5 fixed currents.

Example 1
Input = 2 x LiIon or 3 x CR123 primary would be nice. If it could do 2 x Li Ion or 4 x CR123, that would be even better.

Output - drive 2 x junctions at up to 1.5 amps max. Does not have to be round for me, but others probably like this.

User interface - as simple as possible.

Example 2
Input - 1 or 2 x CR 123 or RCR123
Output - 1 or 2 LED junctions
(buck boost)

Up to 1 - 1.5 amps output

I guess my point is that the buck / boost area is very limited. Either the input voltage range is very constrained (cannot handle both 1 or 2 cells and primary and R) or the output cannot handle 1 or 2 LED junctions with multiple level outputs.

I would also like to see some driver boards with much thicker copper. 4 oz does not cost all that much more than 1 oz - at least when I had some boards made.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a buck / boost with more range of of input and output voltage, and 3 - 5 fixed currents.
I guess my point is that the buck / boost area is very limited. Either the input voltage range is very constrained (cannot handle both 1 or 2 cells and primary and R) or the output cannot handle 1 or 2 LED junctions with multiple level outputs.

+1! One area I wouldn't mind seeing it done in is a 18650 or 2x (R)CR123A format.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Harry said. Something that will buck-boost higher voltage than just one RCR

Vin from 3.5 to 9V for 1 or 2 RCR or at least 3.6-8.5V
Vout from 3-12V for a single LED to an MC-E in 2S2P or series
at least 700, but up to 2000mA
with a top end limiting pot like the sharks
Runs cool or easy to heat sink to a flat surface

The components that are easiest to implement (prewired?), come with clear online specs so you know what you are buying, complete directions, and apply to popular emitter/battery combinations (range of Vout/Vin) will be the most popular.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I will mention that the Irakongi Boost and the Irakongi Buck are in process now as we speak for the Makita Dock configuration. As for a smaller version that would fit in a Mag would be a consideration.

Mag-sized Irakongi Boost, please (aka 3A Shark).

Specifically, I'm looking for a single boost board to drive 5 parallel-quad-die emitters in series (5s4p) from 4 LiFePO4 18650, that fits in a Mag-D tube.

It would have to boost 12V in to 17V @ 2.8A out, and so would need to handle ~5A draw and dissipate ~15W heat.

Is that asking too much?:whistle: Three blue sharks can do that now, right?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
1v to 6v input
.550 dia
3 level starting at low(Low-Med-High)
Output current of 20mah-150mah-700mah
This would be about perfect for me.

Latest posts