what fuel system cleaner

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
So? they do change parameters, but it does not mean there is no difference. i have noticed multiple cars i had preformed better with 93 gas vs 87, regardless of their age. orbital is absolutely correct, it is not a placebo. some even show clear difference on dyno tests.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

In the eighties, Formula1 teams had engineers who did nothing but develop & test gas additives to get a bigger bang per revolution.
Octane could not be changed, that was a huge regulation.

Things were learned.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking TurboD is interested in more specificity regarding performance enhancement; numbers compared, percentage increase, etc.

I used Seafoam maybe 5 times on an '86 Nissan pickup because idle is not inclined to stay lit; can't say it helped but it did not hurt. It may have a tiny chunk of something partially obstructing the little port that supplies fuel for idle(?)

When we first got our Tacoma, I spoke with a retired mechanic friend about how Toyota said to use an octane level that is slightly higher than what is available here for regular gasoline. He said our higher altitude (5000+ feet) needs to have lower octane to lessen the chance of premature detonation (I think he said it that way) but my wife for years used the mid grade octane in her Toyota van with no problem years ago.

Before giving away our cheapo generator that came with the house, I used premium gas in it, thinking ethanol would not be in it. Seemed to start easier and run sufficiently. Never tried Seafoam in it though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use BP gasoline. Don't know what they put in it but I get a few more miles between fill ups. A rarely go below 1/4 tank but I don't know if that matters because the siphon hose it at the bottom of the tank anyway.

In my rarely drive it cars I use Lucus marine grade stabilizer at a triple dose. Same with my lawn equipment.

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
I put the Chevron cleaner in each car once a year.
When I found out that GM private lableled it, I settled on it since all my vehicles are Chevys.

electrolyte

Newly Enlightened
My car is old enough to buy adult beverages in any state in the union and has 160k miles on the clock. It is powered by a Ford 4.6l SOHC modular motor. I drive it like I stole it any time I think that I can get away with it. I always buy the least expensive fuel that I can conveniently buy. It has never seen any fuel additives, just regular gasoline that is seasonally adjusted with ethanol.

electrolyte

Newly Enlightened
Engines with knock sensors ritard timing advance in response to preignition which tends to happen with lower than specified/optimal octane fuel. That leads to reduced performance/power. There is no good way that higher octane fuel is going to increase performance of an engine that does not have cylinder pressure high enough to take advantage of high octane fuel. The only thing it might do is prevent preignition in an engine that needs attention to cure a problem causing preignition. High octane fuel might be a bandaid for problem like that, but not a cure nor improve performance,

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Engines with knock sensors retard timing advance in response to preignition which tends to happen with lower than specified/optimal octane fuel. That leads to reduced performance/power. There is no good way that higher octane fuel is going to increase performance of an engine that does not have cylinder pressure high enough to take advantage of high octane fuel.
Yes, high octane fuel for engines not set up for it is just another way of making trips to the gas station even more expensive, and who needs that!!

Sjvalleydave

Newly Enlightened
I use Seafoam as a stabilizer in things I don't use often, will prevent the build up varnish in the carb. I'll dump some in my street bike a couple of times a year..

Latest posts