What happens in 5-10 years when you need a part for your LED light?

jk037

Newly Enlightened
You won't really care in 10 years time, because the 28,000-lumen, fully dimmable, fully focusable implant built into your forehead and powered entirely by your blood sugar will render the classic "flashlight" little more than an amusing novelty from the past.

And in 20 years time, when that implant starts to fail, you'll just have it removed and not miss it thanks to the zoomable, full-colour night vision upgrade fitted to your retinas by nanobots.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
good post, good thread.

You know that paying much money for a flashlight (or multitool or car or ..) doesnt relate directly to the quality of the products, dont you? This holds true in particular for all typical China-made flashlights. Brand name China-made flashlights are so much more expensive because of the retailer's huge margin, so it's wise to try to buy them at the dealer's cost price whenever possible on Black Friday, Clearance Sales, or similar.

Of course we want and expect better quality (longevity, ruggedness, higher build quality, manufacturing tolerances, lower failure rate, ..) when we pay higher prices; our feeling says so. But it's a subjective feeling only, nothing else.

It's healthier for my mind to pay less for exactly the identical product and then also expect less. And the problem of out-of-print parts exists with most other products. That's why companies often replace the broken product with the current model during extended warranty periods.

Well, paying more money for a product is usually decided upon for the express purpose of getting a better quality product, most of the time at least. But then there's also buying something expensive just for the name, even if it really isnt much better at performing a particular task than the cheaper model(see Seiko watch versus Rolex). I'm not really into paying more for a name, especially if that name brand is often of less quality than the cheaper options(see Surefire lights). I understand that there is a higher likelihood that you will be able to find parts for your Surefire light vs a Chinese light in 5-7 years, but that also brings us back to the obsolete argument, because there are many Surefire lights you can buy new right now that are already obsolete compared to many cheaper Chinese lights. I'd rather pay $100 for an up to date Chinese light with the chance that I may not be able to easily get parts for it in 5 years, vs. paying $200+ for a Surefire light with outdated LED and circuitry, even though i might have a "better" chance of being able to find parts for it in 5 years. Chances are, those SF parts will be no less overpriced than the flashlight was in the 1st place! AND, by then the SF light will be REALLY outdated......

I always search around to find sale prices on every light I buy, and I always use the 10% off coupon code. But aside from that, and aside from buying a used light, how can you get a light for less than MSRP or for dealer's cost(unless you are a dealer)?

To what Cataract said: Like you, even if I lost a light, or couldnt get parts for another light, I'd still have plenty of backup lights, so the idea of really needing to be able to find parts in 5 years doesnt really apply to me in a significant way, but like you mentioned, you dont want your favorite light to go down, but Murphy's law dictates that will probably be the very light that DOES break down, so it would be nice to know you can still get parts. I'm sure some of the Chinese companies, especially the ones that design their lights in America or have gone to the trouble to open US customer service centers, might very well keep a stock of parts for older lights, or even continue producing parts for them.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
how can you get a light for less than MSRP or for dealer's cost(unless you are a dealer)?

if you're good friends with a major dealer, he would let you know what his cost is. and he is allowed to give you a personal, non-advertised discount ;)

edpmis02

Enlightened
I would worry about modern AA based lights that take 4->8 batteries in a special holder. Seems like a throw away light if it breaks after a few years.

I have a large batch of different quarks that are all mix and match (assuming 4Sevens was not around).

Evltcat

Newly Enlightened
This is a very interesting question (thanks for posting it and making me think about it!). I hadn't given it too much thought until now, but now that I am, I think I'm going to do what I usually do.

I'm going to be keeping my Malkoff MD2's and HDS clickies for the long term. When funds permit, I'm going to buy an extra complete host for each MD2, a couple lens/o-ring sets, and a body/switch/lens for the HDS. I don't think the LED's are going to go out too soon, and hopefully the bodies will remain intact, but I can see needing to replace the o-rings, lens, and clicky over the next 5 years or so.

Past that horizon, I'll just have to wait and see how things change in the world of flashlights over the next 5 - 10 years.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're approaching a limit of diminishing returns in regards to flashlights anyway. No one needs a pocket light to go over 200 lumens. We have them now going up to 800. Nice, but way overkill. There just isn't any need to go higher other than pure fun. And that's OK. Most of the lights I have right now will still be here in 10 years and running strong. If not, who cares. I'lll be able to get the same thing at Walmar for .99 in the checkout isle.

The next big thing is going to be super high efficiency and long run times, or most likely, new and imporoved battery technology.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights that are worthy of fixing will be serviced by the owners with used parts from the Internet. Others will be tossed in the garbage.

Scubie67

Enlightened
We're approaching a limit of diminishing returns in regards to flashlights anyway. No one needs a pocket light to go over 200 lumens. We have them now going up to 800. Nice, but way overkill. There just isn't any need to go higher other than pure fun. And that's OK. Most of the lights I have right now will still be here in 10 years and running strong. If not, who cares. I'lll be able to get the same thing at Walmar for .99 in the checkout isle.

The next big thing is going to be super high efficiency and long run times, or most likely, new and imporoved battery technology.

Sacriledge....I am waiting on that 420 Lumens per Watt Neutral LED.:p

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brasso, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I have a couple of lights in the $40-$50 USD range that I use a lot, but won't get broken up about if they break and can't be fixed. Right now I'm planning on spending about $150 USD for a nice really bright light just so I have it to play with. I'm getting it from a vendor that everyone says good things about and that has a good record with me, but if in five years they are gone or have no parts for my discontinued toy, I will still have gotten my pleasure from it, and in my mind $30/yr is cheap for the fun I'll have had with it.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta love the p60 modules for this reason.

I agree that we are approaching a plateau in output but there's room
for gains in efficiency (better 7135s?) and in cell capacity.

Hopefully 18650s and p60s will b around in 5-10 yr ;)

scout24

Flashaholic
Five or ten years? I'll shoot Don, Dave, or Milky an Email. Gene at Malkoff devices if needed. Surefire will still be in business, and either repair or replace what broke. If, in the event a custom builder is no longer working, there are and will continue to be those here whose modding skills will take care of what's needed. If not, I got five or ten years of use from a tool that served it's purpose. if a production light and Surefire is no longer here, I'll buy new if needed, and drive on. That's a good long service life the way a lot of my users get treated. :)

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
Been there and done that with a Surefire 8NX Commander. No support for discontinued batteries, and I dont know it to be a fact, but I would say that replacement parts are probably getting hard to find. Mine is retired to the drawer in the garage.
Just because they have a "big" name doesn't mean you will be able to get parts or support. You just have to break out the debit card and move on.

And yes, I know its not LED, but the same theory applies.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing most parts can be replaced by other equivalent parts. If you can't do it yourself, there probably will be someone on CPF who can.

I'd be more worried about all those tritium vials that'll expire in 10-15 years. Does everyone know how to un-glue and properly dispose of them?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, always get spares and spare parts for tools that you really like.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next time you want to spend $100 on a light, just make sure it has got Surefire on it.
Because of their lifetime warranty, I will still spend $150 on a light they made 10years ago. I sent a first Generation light to them and they still had parts to fix it.

Infact many of their old models are heavily sort after. I am sure no one will want them if they didn't have parts to keep the light going.

As someone else said, the demand for a light does not solely depend on lumens. It is also the UI and other factors.

Granted that many lights today puts out many lumens, it is not about lumens, it is how the lumens are managed.

So do yourself a favor. If you want to spend $50 for a light, you can buy a new light from someone or you could get a used one from Surefire. Pickup the Surefire and save yourself from this anxiety.

+1
i came across this problem a few years ago. the switch on my Olight M20 failed. couldnt get a replacement switch from olight or any of their major dealers.

now, i have a bunch of L-series, E-series, and P60 surefire hosts. gave my family 3x P60s with malkoffs. I dont worry about replacement parts anymore.

surefire e1e, talk about obsolete. 1 mode, 15 lumens using a bulb. but have you seen how much they go for these days? i almost picked one up the other week.

BWX

Enlightened
10 year old light needs parts? Find one on e-bay, or from someone on a flashlight forum like CPF. Someone will have one that is broken in some other way- like burned out LED or something.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a very interesting question (thanks for posting it and making me think about it!). I hadn't given it too much thought until now, but now that I am, I think I'm going to do what I usually do.

I'm going to be keeping my Malkoff MD2's and HDS clickies for the long term. When funds permit, I'm going to buy an extra complete host for each MD2, a couple lens/o-ring sets, and a body/switch/lens for the HDS. I don't think the LED's are going to go out too soon, and hopefully the bodies will remain intact, but I can see needing to replace the o-rings, lens, and clicky over the next 5 years or so.

Past that horizon, I'll just have to wait and see how things change in the world of flashlights over the next 5 - 10 years.

I was thinking along the same lines not so long ago, so I bought 2 Quark 123 high CRI during the last batch. You know what? They're already obsolete as I have some lights with even better rendition for less money and more output. I figure, why bother? The technology is only getting better. When that 10 year old light finally dies, there will be others to pick from. If I was to steer away from CPF and find myself with a need to replace a broken light 10 years from now, I'll just hit the forums again since I know where to get the proper knowledge. I thought about stashing for the future, only to find out I have a brand new light I'm thinking about selling.

Let me put it another way: If you buy the car of your dreams, do you buy a second one for parts? Doesn't quite make sense now, does it? I like my couch A LOT. I even thought about buying a dozen more so I never have to shop for another one. You know what? What if I find an even better one in the future? What if the warehouse I keep my dozen couches burns up or is invaded by bed bugs? Thinking in terms of penury will only make you spend money that could be better invested. Buying a backup of a backup, all the same model, thinking one day the first one will die (and not that much a common occurence with flashlights to start with) and then I'll have another identical one and then another one is not collecting; that is called stashing.

So, what if my favorite light dies without hope in 5-10 years? Almost every buy I make, my favorite light is a new one, so I decide not to weep for a light I do not even own yet and move on. Besides, I already have tons of backups that where meant to be used but are now shelf queens because I only have 2 hands and can only wear one pair of pants at a time. Plus I already know that my current collection will be completely obsolete by the time one of my lights dies beyong repair... why even bother. I love my lights, but my life goes wayyy beyond flashlight stashing.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would worry about modern AA based lights that take 4->8 batteries in a special holder. Seems like a throw away light if it breaks after a few years.

I have a large batch of different quarks that are all mix and match (assuming 4Sevens was not around).

I have a light that holds 6 AA's, and the one part I was concerned about breaking was the battery holder, then after being produced for only about 1.5 years, iTp stopped making that light, so I became more concerned about not being able to get a new battery holder if it broke in a few years, so I called the parent/related company Olight and they sold me the very last battery holder they had left for it! I shouldnt have to worry about that light any more.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing most parts can be replaced by other equivalent parts. If you can't do it yourself, there probably will be someone on CPF who can.

I'd be more worried about all those tritium vials that'll expire in 10-15 years. Does everyone know how to un-glue and properly dispose of them?

There is one way to remove the tritium vials. First, you secure your light straight upright into the vice on a large drill press. You then measure the diameter of the widest point on the outside of your light, which is usually the head. Lets say it is 30mm wide. You then chuck up a drill bit that is at least 5mm or 1/4" larger in diameter than the widest point you measured on the flashlight. Hit the power button on drill press, and drill directly through the full length of the flashlight, right down through the bottom of the tail cap.

You should have successfully removed all the tritium vials at this point! (LOL)

^^For real though, do not follow that advice unless you'd prefer your light as a pile of aluminum or titanium shavings with a few tritium vials mixed in somewhere.....

I would imagine there is a solvent that can loosen the adhesive or glue that holds the vials in place. You have to figure out which type of glue was used, and find a solvent/chemical that will loosen it.