What Information is officially "Known" About the Maelstrom

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Fair enough - the 139 lm/W is indeed at 350mA - so they are going to have to overdrive it a bit more to get to 500 emitter lumens.

I've just seen the video, where David says they are running it at 1.5 Amps. Wow !

Chroma

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much Carrot.

I have no idea why this information couldn't have been released sooner in a real press release.

sfca

Enlightened
How tight/wide was the G500/M500 hotspot in comparison lights you've had?

I've had a 2009 E2DL and a Quark Turbo.
I remember the E2DLs (200 lumens) hotspot was bigger then the QT's XPG (230 lumens), and both threw equally as far.

Apparently though an XPG thrower can still have a twice as big hotspot as the E2DL. Hope so!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in the M500 - is there any information on the UI? I hope it will offer a low-low as other 4Seven flashlights... I have a Quark Turbo, but I would prefer something with a more floody beam. Let's hope there won't be a very visible donut-hole in the beam (because of the 4-die MCE)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yep, that's the one. 18 minutes looking at MiNis and Preons and stuff we already know about and the M500 Maelstrom just gets waved past the camera. Blink and you miss it.

Kinda disappointing that the G500 wasn't even there !!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still trying to find out the answer to the name Maelstrom. I could have sworn I heard that name way before there was a 47's Quark even so is Maelstrom a type of light or just the name of a specific 47's light? Also what is an SST? If it doesn't run on AA's I probably have no interest in it either.

carrot

Flashaholic
There is no donut in the M500.

And, of the four prototypes we had for SHOT Show, none were AA powered, sorry.

sfca

Enlightened
Hey carrot,

Read the blog, watched the video. Since you've held it what do you think of a OEM/non-OEM pocket clip for the S1200?
I know it doesn't seem suitable, but I like the light and that's the best way for me to carry them 99% of the time.

I need both big & bright hotspot;
I'm thinking with 1200 lumens, even with a floody beam [S1200] lux will be greater then M/G500. Works for me!

(The closest thing I have to that size is my Adidas deodorant can. Put it in my pocket, yeap works fine :laughing: )

Btw, is that a twisty or a clicky?

stallion2

Enlightened

thanks for putting this up. sounds like both 500's would be outstanding lights...not sure which i would get. i would love to see those lights combined for a double ended production light. somebody will sooner or later and those look like an excellent place to start.

what's the emitter in the S1200? if that info is posted then i can't find it.

6 primaries on one light???!!!!!!!!! i sure as hell hope they design the S1800 to accept Li ions. that would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

ps - where are the scans for the new SF catalog?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
By overdriving it. In the video, David says they are running it at 1.5 Amps. And it will be emitter lumens rather than out-the-front, so its starting to sound like the M21 saga all over again.

Anyway, there's still no final word on the release date - at the moment it's still just as much vapourware as the LX1 . . .

carrot

Flashaholic
I wouldn't call the Maelstroms vaporware... they have only just been announced in January... I would call something vaporware if it missed release dates repeatedly.

In any case, IMHO the S1200 is a little too big for pocket clip but I would be able to easily carry it in my jacket pocket or stuffed into my back pocket. I think the ideal carry mode will be for a holster, for most people.

Sorry about the scans, I have been distracted with Mass Effect 2. Soon!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
OK, perhaps vapourware was a bit strong - but neither is it strictly correct that 'they have only just been announced in January'

There has been lots of discussion about the Maelstrom series for the last six or seven months in the CPFMP. In May we were told that there was 'about a 1 month leadtime'.

The original release date as part of last autumn's string of Quark releases was then bumped back to the end of December, then to the Shot Show, and now we're in February with still no idea of pricing or the actual release date.

I'm sorry to sound impatient. Like everyone else, I would of course much rather David and the team took the time to get things right, but my tenterhooks can only stretch so far.

gsxer

Newly Enlightened
Sure is quite around here! Any new news? Which Maelstrom will be the first one to hit the streets?