What is a good standby lite for my truck?

lectraplayer

Newly Enlightened
We've all experienced it: keeping a Q-Beam charged properly can be a real PITA. That said, I am wanting to build/find a good high-brightness cordless hand light that can be charged on standby off of my truck until needed without constantly drying out gel cells. Where would be a good place to start looking?

mward94

Newly Enlightened
the nitecore p25 charges off micro-usb. I have this light and i think i might start keeping it in my truck for that reason. Plus its pretty darn bight

mward94

Newly Enlightened
Its 860 lumens... im not up on my halogen brightness but i would think that is plenty for a spare light to keep in the truck. I like the charging of the light because i can just use the usb on my radio headunit to keep it filled up

dss_777

Enlightened
Price range?

Streamlight has plenty of nice vehicle mounted rechargeables, but they're a lot more expensive than the Q-Beams you reference.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of the Streamlight lightbox lights with a vehicle cord

lectraplayer

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore mentioned sounds equivalent to my Redline (Nebo) I use at work. The Q-beans are H3 and equivalent to car headlights at around a million candellas. Would that put me at around 24,000 lumens or did I miscalculate? I'm looking for something in that range that extended charges won't trash the batteries on. I'll check on the Streamlights mentioned though they seem to be proud of them. Also not above a sealed beam-based project. A vehicular electrical system would not ruin a current ballasted 12 volt gel cell would it? (I doubt it right now)