What is a very bright single AAA light?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto. Been running 10440 cells in my Preon and every other AAA light I have ( And I have them all.....:D) without any problems for years.
As at the moment and as stated above, the chance of hurting yourself with a 10440 is theoretical only as I don't believe there has been a singe reported case of one going 'Pop' so far. I'm not saying it can't happen, only that it hasn't yet.

Tell you what, I was going to order some more 10440's anyway, I'll order a couple spare and when they arrive I'll short one out in a small airtight box in the back garden and see what happens.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Nothing is ever a problem until it happens to the person themselves. Then all of a sudden their opinion changes drastically.
10440s are unprotected as far as I know, so they don't have the safety mechanisms built in place that protected li-ions have.

The Titanium Innovations Illuminati can achieve over 100 lumens using just an alkaline or NiMH AAA cell. Surely this is more than enough for such a tiny light.

Databyter

Enlightened
Nothing is ever a problem until it happens to the person themselves. Then all of a sudden their opinion changes drastically.
10440s are unprotected as far as I know, so they don't have the safety mechanisms built in place that protected li-ions have.

The Titanium Innovations Illuminati can achieve over 100 lumens using just an alkaline or NiMH AAA cell. Surely this is more than enough for such a tiny light.
I agree. This one (Illuminati TI) is going to be a gift for my father who's birthday has come and gone, but due to the fire at the supplier I've been holding off. He will get the light and a Nimh charger along with some NiMh AA's

Fantastic light, and fantastic Lumens from design specification battery sources.

But for us light Nerds, I sort of like the idea of pushing a little aaa light with the lithium, and just using it on lower levels, but every once in a while, wow, that was useful and bright!!

The way I use lights is very very light duty, so I'm gonna give myself a free pass.

I don't think most of the Titanium lights I've seen are a good choice for pushing due to the less efficient heat dissapation though. I'll probably push my little Fenix though, and as I said, mostly on lower levels and for short durations, but with the potential there. It satisfies my need to push the envelope.

I probably would not have spent over a grand in Maglite builds this year If I didn't have that itch.

I agree that their should not be a cavalier attitude about pushing them though. It should not be recommended without safety and usage style caveats and warnings.

My need at this point is purely curiosity driven, but I'm sure once I see the difference I'll go for the lithium solution knowing that I will use them in an appropriate manner with the knowledge that I am using Jet Fuel in a Pinto. (slow on the driveway).

Last edited:

choekstr

Newly Enlightened

Protected 10440's are out: DX sku.30788
They are a bit longer and can potentially not fit in a light or charger. I have tested in iTP A3, Tank007 701 & 703, Trustfire XP-E P23, and they all fit the longer size.

They are however a VERY tight fit in sku.1236 charger and I hear have problems in a nano charger; although I didn't get one of those before they stopped selling them so I can't confirm.