What is the best way to create fog\smoke?

LaserMod

Enlightened
Re: What is the best way to create fog\\smoke?

I have had my smoke machine for a month now and if you see my images - my room and house have been well smoked out many times...I can't find any residue or after-effects so I guess it is clean.

It cost me £25 new from Argos.co.uk and complete with 'fog juice' as it's called. Thats about $50.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I prefer the dry ice method. The smoke tends to cling to the ground because it's cold, but a fan will take care of that very nicely, and it's probably a lot healthier for your lungs than spraying a chemical into the air. Plus it had no odor and won't leave a residue. The downsides are that it's a lot harder to find and store, and you HAVE to handle it with gloves or tongs.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
I prefer the dry ice method. The smoke tends to cling to the ground because it's cold, but a fan will take care of that very nicely, and it's probably a lot healthier for your lungs than spraying a chemical into the air. Plus it had no odor and won't leave a residue. The downsides are that it's a lot harder to find and store, and you HAVE to handle it with gloves or tongs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you blow dry ice with a fan, it will help the process out, but dry ice dissipates fast too.

Also, Dry ice is Carbon Dioxide (as someone else pointed out already) which is not good for your lungs, because as you know the lungs like Oxygen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I too would recommend the fog machine... If you dont like the smell... take it outside and run a cycle of fog thru it and it will cut down on the smell... Or you could get scented fog.. cherry or whatever... and its extremely cheap and efficient...

I too have made it to where i couldnt see my hand in front of my face, as well as fogged up a whole yard (and the neighbors -- about 2 acres worth) with my fog machine.

back to the dry ice thing... why not skip that and get a co2 container...

or you could try a fire extinguisher...

have fun

LambdaBunker

Newly Enlightened

Another method is to use an atomizer device in a tub of water, very very fine vapour rises like mist. I have one in my room, and it looks really nice.

LED-FX

Enlightened

Bit of terminology difference here, what used to be called `smoke` machines are now more usually referred to as `foggers`. Because people, especially paid talent, have concerns about breathing in `smoke`.

Foggers, previously known as smoke machines, uses water based glycol fog, glycol is used in things like cakes to make them remain moist. They work by pumping the fluid through a heater block which turns it into basically lingering steam.Heavy use will eventually leave deposits on things as the liquid condenses, but the key term is Heavy use.Low cost machines abound.

Dry ice foggers are water boilers that when frozen CO2 is dropped in , sublimes back to gas and the cold CO2 makes the moisture content in the air turn to fog. These are the classic low lying fog effects. Dry Ice is quite hazardous to handle , it freeze burns, is expensive and the effect is very short lived.

Hazers are a third type of atmospheric effect,used to create a very light but long hanging haze , not as dense as fog but enough to pick up light and laser beams. They use mineral oil and `crack` it into tiny droplets either by ultrasound like the atomiser someone else mentioned, or by compressed air, these machines are expensive.

CO2 jets similar to fire extingushers do exist, but the effect is very short lived and the equipment is expensive.

Liquid Nitrogen is used in some theme parks to create `natural` fog, cost and complication puts it at the space launch end of atmospheric effects.

Anything you use to fog up an area should be safe to breathe, buying a commercial product and using the manufacturers reccomended consumables, should ensure your safety.

Fog in a can is OK for the very occasional user.

HTH
Adam

Raccoon

Enlightened

With all this in mind, I think I'll just buy a cigar and smoke up the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Second-hand smoke never killed anyone! (Well, noone I know)