What is the single most greatest machine mankind has ever built?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
About that; today is day 3,652 of Opportunity's 90-day mission, happy tenth to Earth's most reliable wheeled vehicle that just happens to not be on Earth..

I wonder what criteria they used when they came up with the idea for a 90 day mission? :thinking:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
About that; today is day 3,652 of Opportunity's 90-day mission, happy tenth to Earth's most reliable wheeled vehicle that just happens to not be on Earth..
That thing is more reliable than a lot of cars. This is all the more amazing because you can't exactly send a team of mechanics out to Mars to make repairs.

Semi off-topic but would anyone here want to live on Mars if we had a decent-sized colony there? I'm talking something like a domed city with at least a few hundred thousand inhabitants? I would seriously consider it. Not being a hot weather person, Mars would be somewhat nicer than Earth. Even the summers there at the equator aren't hotter than fall in most places on Earth. And then low gravity, plus thinner air in the domes with a higher oxygen content, would make for some speedy cycling (see this and scroll down to the bottom).

jamie.91

Enlightened
Whenever people talk about living on mars the first thing I think of it total recall lol 😜, people cutting off your oxygen and stuff, not for me I'm afraid.

esldude

Newly Enlightened
Atlatl is my choice.

You had spears which were evolved pointy sticks. Edged weapons might be worth considering. It was the atlatl which required something akin to invention to looking deeper, to create something not otherwise existing in nature for purely human purposes. Once man got over that hump other ideas that weren't fully natural came more quickly and more often. The wheel, the bow and arrow, etc. etc.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

When you hear the Ford Cosworth 3Liter V8 Grand Prix motor, it gets ingrained in your soul
..it's a sound you cannot unhear ~~~

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say the same thing about a good afterburning jet engine...

3670208158_3c74ef0b02_z_d.jpg

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The screw is an inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder....

This is quite true. Nevertheless, the screw and the inclined plane are considered separately as simple machines since they perform different functions.

fkep6mr.jpg

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is the greatest machine ever built? The bicycle.

Brompton, Dahon, or other brand? Folding bikes are an intriguing subculture of the bike world. It's almost a shame that I don't have a use for one... they look like fun. :)

1nterceptor

Newly Enlightened
Re: What is the greatest machine ever built? The bicycle.

Brompton, Dahon, or other brand? Folding bikes are an intriguing subculture of the bike world. It's almost a shame that I don't have a use for one... they look like fun. :)

The one in the previous video is a Brompton S6L. I also have a Tobukaeru folding bike; a bit bigger than the B.
But with some disassembly; was able to fit it in a standard Samsonite luggage for my trip to China. And yes,
they are fun! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi0156wPqe0

StarHalo

Flashaholic

And as of today, the Mars Opportunity rover has traveled 26.219 miles, making it the first Earth interplanetary explorer to complete a marathon.

Latest posts