What is your favorite cheapie led light?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimag with MJLED (or now SMJLED).

The next cheapest light I've found that I liked was the Luxeon 1xCR123 that Sharper Image sells, but I have mostly stayed away from unknown brands of LED lights.

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
Yooper said:
There are multiple threads here about the "Fauxton" and other clones being brighter than the real Photons. Who needs batteries when the entire light costs less than a dollar? Buy a bag of 50 for $20 and they are disposable.

Lol, I did not think about that. I do love the little keychain lights and I think I will get a bag of 50, you talked me into it.

I do prefer the cheap Nuwaii or Dorcy for around the house, the keychain lights are great for keychains and jacket zipers but being a large beastly,bulging man sometimes the little photon is a pill to work for my fat thumbs lol. The ASP lights work great for large hands, do they make a chinese copy of that?

alberto

Enlightened
There are lots of votes for the Dorcy AAA, which is one of my favorite cheapies too, but my absolute favorite is the Dorcy AA. Regardless of the low price, this little light is a winner.

igabo

Enlightened
I've seen many of the multi-LED lights operating off of 3 AAA's. At the local surplus store, they had a few out, for people to try; and most peoples reactions were, "WOW!" I did take the plunge of buying one (long before I found CPF); and it was great; only it didn't have regulation, which made it terribly dim after a very short period of great brightness. Not worth it.

Anyway, I'm with the other people that chose the River Rock 2AAA light. Great light, small, compact, regulated, and only $10.

bruner

Enlightened
The majority of my collection could be considered "cheapie led lights". I love them all and the nice part is switching them out daily on my keychain... Always something new to play with. (click on "Lights" link in my signature for picture)

Dan

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
not exacaly the cheapest but the Inova X1, seams indestructable since its not made of cheap plastic. just like the X5. i also like the dorcy Super 1 W CR123

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened
cadjak said:
I was in Alaska and stopped in a local hardware store. They had a bin of solid feeling, 8 LED pocket lights for $4.99. They take 3 AAA. The outside was aluminum and looked like a large bolt. I bought 3 and they were a great. I've since seen them, and variants of them, online and in catalogues. There seems to be an explosion of cheap LED lights. I was curious what surprises others have found in the cheap light realm.

compared8vf.jpg
dorcynewtail5em.jpg

Is this the Flashglight you're talking about? (Blue Flashlight on the left) I noticed the tail fits the Dorcy Metal Gear. It only grabs onto about 1/2 of the threads but it does fit, and the Hex pattern lines up when tightened. I got mine for $6.99

Learjet

Enlightened
What about the Fenix L1 (not P)? A bit on the high side I guess. But most of my collection is cheap. Have a Ghost2 that cost $10. My MXDL is a fairly good cheapy as is my 28 LED light. I have a good 3D 24 LED that's fairly cheap.

Except then I go and put in nimh cells into all of them so they are not so cheap anymore. :p

SuperNinja

Enlightened
carbine15 said:
For $1 each, they are disposable, bright, long lasting on lithiums (included). When the light gets dim just open it up take out the led and throw the rest away. Replacement batteries cost almost more than the lights themselves.
That's only if you are buying the batteries at retail prices.

You can get coin cell batteries in bulk on eBay, for between 10 to 15 cents each.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if $20 qualifies as "cheapie", but... the Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLed is fantastic. Really bright and a full 10 hours of flat output before fading. I also keep one with 'daed' batteries my kids used up in their gameboys and it still gives enough light for most around the house activities, pretty good for batteries that are 'dead'. BrightGuy used to sell these @ $20, but I'm not sure if they still have them at that price.

I also agree that the Streamlight 4AA Lux is a throw monster for $25.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
alberto said:
There are lots of votes for the Dorcy AAA, which is one of my favorite cheapies too, but my absolute favorite is the Dorcy AA. Regardless of the low price, this little light is a winner.

I saw the review on flashlightreviews and he states that the AA has the same light output as the AAA version. Has this been your experience?

I have a red AAA I carry around and a blue AAA still in the plastic and was considering a AA purchase, but if there's not much difference I'll probably pass on it....probably :whistle:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to love the dorcy AAA too untill I found it wasnt as bright as those $1 keychain lights. Even after moding it with a snow LED... it's just a bit brighter than stock, but not quite as bright as the buttoncell.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
I used to love the dorcy AAA too untill I found it wasnt as bright as those $1 keychain lights. Even after moding it with a snow LED... it's just a bit brighter than stock, but not quite as bright as the buttoncell.

I just couldn't never warm up to button cells, I like the standard batt types.

Now if somebody ever makes a 1xAA that has decent runtime and a close equivalent of light output as, say, a Dorcy Metal Gear has, I'll be buying a case of them. :)

If anybody knows of such a mini-beast, I'm all ears...

EDIT: Just saw some pics for the new AAA Fenix, so disregard that last part. :)

Now where did I put that wallet...

Last edited: