What is your favorite inexpensive (sub $40) LED light?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a single mode flashlight from DX a couple of years ago at around 35 bucks (single 18650). It has been bright, reliable and lasts a long time and I think it's good looking too.

rje58

Enlightened
Manufacturer and model would make the story a lot more interesting... :grin2:

I bought a single mode flashlight from DX a couple of years ago at around 35 bucks (single 18650). It has been bright, reliable and lasts a long time and I think it's good looking too.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
eagletac P100C2 / T100C2 or Solarforce P60 host.
ITP has some great lights in that price range.
If you are handy with a soldering Iron the DX P7 / MCE lights can be made great for the $40.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pushing the $40 limit to the max the EagleTac P100A2 is 39.95 [w free shipping to USA] from EagleTac USA. Uses two AAs. Two modes selected by turning the bezel. Rear forward clicky. Good quality at this price.

john10001

Newly Enlightened
I think the Quarks and iTP's look great value.

I am looking for something similar to TA-21 but also has moonlight mode with 0.2 lumens, and also perhaps a super max mode with 300 or so lumens.

It's hard to find anything sub $40 with same dial as TA-21 and moonlight mode too.

Fenix was my answer to Surefire a couple of years ago, but now in these times even the Fenix seems expensive too me.

John

stallion2

Enlightened
It would, wouldn't it? :whistle:

It's just that when I post this, no one usually seems interested. Here it is. TEmporarily sold out but that means they'll have it back in stock and cheaper than I remember it http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10659

George
looks very Dereelightish...i love Dereelight.

i have a Romisen RC-C6 II (Q5) from Shining Beam that i love.

also...DX sku 29385. JFT flood-to-throw. build quality is pretty unremarkable but this thing really puts light down range. MUCH better than the X2000's on DX.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
I rather like my 5-mode Akoray K-106.

I don't understand the complaints about the button - mine works well and although it takes a firm press to turn on, I think this is a plus point as it means it's unlikely to become accidentally switched on in my pocket.

The lack of mode memory is annoying, though - the DX description claims it has this but mine definitely doesn't :( I did have to re-solder the driver board into the pill as it wasn't very well fitted, but this seems to be par for the course with a lot of cheap DX lights. Still, given it's impressive output, nice size, variety of modes and surprisingly nice design and finish, I think it's a hell of a device for $13.99 (about £8.70 in "real" money ;) )

Also very impressed with my iTP A3 EOS ("upgrade" 3-mode version). Incredible light output for such a tiny object and the UI is simple and well-thought-out, with well-chosen hi/med/low settings. It's not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the Akoray (the Maratac version of the A3 looks nicer) but the iTP does feel very nicely made. It cost me just over $24 (about £15).

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
If you want to move up in quality in an AA light, check out the line of Fenix lights. several Fenix AA lights are under $40.00 and most of the best AA ones are in the $40 to $50 range. Check out DX, Amazon and all of the CPF sponsers that have Fenix lights. Ken

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Stanley Ultrabright LED Spotlight 192 lumen 5 watt fully adjustable output spotlight with 7.2V rechargeable internal NiMH battery pack with house and car chargers all for $39.95. This thing is actually a decent thrower and the 192 lumen claim seems to be about right. Its like a mini hand held pistol grip type spotlight but since it puts out the beam from a reflector deeper and just as wide as that of a maglight I would have to say it delivers the goods. Picked it up at a Lowes Hardware Store.
That's a real good light, and made my list, too, but don't pay $40 for it -- you get all the same kit plus a belt clip for $30 at Walmart -- on the shelf below the original belt-clipless one, which is still priced at $40. :shrug: The belt clip is kinda awkward, with a push-to-release button on the wrong end, but if you remove the retention claws and button entirely, and bevel the end of the rail for easy re-attachment, it's pretty decent. Even if you throw it out, you save $10...

I dislike the noise, and the not-starting-on-high, but ScottFHall made a mod for the start issue, and silencing the beeper should be as easy as clipping a wire. I picked up a second one when the $30 model came out, planning to do these mods any day now...

Here it is. TEmporarily sold out but that means they'll have it back in stock and cheaper than I remember it http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10659
No, on DX "temporarily sold out" almost always means "never coming back". :ohgeez:

OK, my list:
$23 Akoray K-105/K-106 -- 3-mode fully programmable, rock-solid build.
$27 Ultrafire WF-008 -- recoil thrower, only a Q5, but still quite impressive.
$30 Stanley 5W spotlight -- you heard the Gman!

And for the mod-happy looking for a $40 total mod, I think you should just be able to make a 2x18650 P7 in budget using a 2C Mag, a DX P7 module ($26; it's for a WF-500 or similar, but fits in a Mag head) and the usual sanded tailcap+foam rubber+copper braid mod for 2x18650 in a 2C. That's probably only a C bin, but we are on a budget here...

I haven't built this exact variation, but made a 4D P7 using the same reflector and pill, and the P7 does quite well in that 50mm reflector -- the orange-peel is just enough to smooth the beam from donut-hole to almost a perfectly flat hotspot, and the larger diameter keeps it from being 100% flood -- it's a real nice medium beam, very usable.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
my current favorite under 40. quark mini aa.

my list of under 40 lights that i like:

1-quark mini (smart ui, small size, good warranty)
2-itp eos (all models but i only fell in love with aaa)
3-shiningbeam Lmini2 (im suprised its not mentioned yet)
4-itp c7/c8/c9 (the new s series might be cool option too but havent got one)
5-solarforce L2 (surefire clone that has decent quality and huge parts/drop-in support)

6-akoray programmable 3 mode is nice for 20 dollars. but i would take itp instead..because of the tough switch on akoray. (but to get a programmable modes for 20 or so dollars is so cool feature that one just cant ignore it)

7-romisen N-3 and g-2 (number 8) are nice for 25 and under, single mode lights. (ok shiningbeam has multimode too.. and so does goinggear.) great simple to use tough built lights.. nice loaners and beater lights they are.

not a big suprise.. i have all of these myself also in my collection..hahah.

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
1. stanley 5w LED spotlight
2. AKOray K106
3. Qmini AA

..which are the three lights i purchased since joining cpf.

Warp

Enlightened
Another sub $40 light I really like is the workhorse Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux. It was $25 when I got mine.

Ah yes, good point. I've had mine for years yet it is currently serving nightstand duty. I can use it in one hand with my Glock in the other. It has a nice momentary switch and just the right amount of light for a WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! moment indoors at night. Bright enough to see everything and effect somebody if it gets in their eyes but not so bright that the bounceback from shining it on the other side of the room will be painfull to your eyes.

And it has enough throw to be useful outdoors, especially if there isn't a lot of ambient lighting.

$25 is a steal of a deal.

l_____l

Newly Enlightened
For $13.61 the TrustFire XP-EF23 XP-R2-WC 3-Mode 150-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*AAA/1*10440) from DX is quite nice, albeit a tad heavy (stainless steel). Hi, Low, & strobe memory modes.

Tail cap readings:
Fresh Li-Ion 4.11V (10440)
HI: 1180mA
Lo: 110mA

Fresh AAA 1.56V
HI: 950mA
Lo: 110mA

My next "under $40" light will be SKU 19189 TrustFire P7-F15 SSC P7-WC 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650). I'll give my thoughts on that one when it arrives!:grin2:

-Pace

TF1.jpg