What Light might tick these boxes of most of them? Help needed. Thanks.

indianageo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,
The light bug has bit me and I'm looking for an EDC or bug-out type of light that will, hopefully, tick most of the following boxes (see below). I've been doing a lot of research but the more I do, the most lost I get. I seem to keep coming back to the Fenix PD32 2016 update version. I'm a relative noob to this, so any help is appreciated. Perhaps I may need to think of two lights to actually cover my wants, so kindly feel free to recommend two if you wish. Thanks much. Here's my requirements:

1. Price not much of an object but prefer under $100.
2. Up to 1000 Lumins (I don't think I need more than that).
3. Reasonably good throw. I suppose 200 or more meters/yards.
4. Tail stand-able.
5. Red filter option (this seems to be hard to come by or non-existent in the one light I've been considering).
6. Fairly small size. Pocketable.
7. Some low setting that would enable reading at night.
8. Optional battery configs. CR123s and 18650. I think this is fairly common.
9. Durable.
10. Waterproof (ideally would like something that can go deep for underwater adventuring, but this is not a must have, but rather a like-to-have)

Are there other lights I should consider besides the PD32, or in addition to, the PD32? Your expertise is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
IG

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still thinking, but did you realise the Fenix PD32 2016 steps down to 400Lm after only 3 minutes? That's probably going to be normal for all the high output lights in this size. If you want 1000ish lumens for longer, you're going to have to go a bit bigger headwise.

P

Poppy

Flashaholic
I like the cigar shaped lights like the pd32 for every day useage.

For one with a on demand red led you might want to look at the Nitecore CR6

Neither of the above will do 200 meters/yards. You'll need a bigger light than a typical EDC to get that much throw.

Lights that are similar to the pd32 include the nitecore p12, the thrunite TN12, the Acebeam EC35, maybe the Manker Quinlan U11, and one without the side switch, the Convoy S2+ (but it won't take 2x cr123 cells. and it doesn't have a moonlight)
The BLF A6 also doesn't have a side switch, does have a moonlight, but can't take 18650b cells.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Nitecore MH25GT. Ticks all of the boxes, although it depends on the size of your pockets.

indianageo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys... I went with the Nitecore P12GT and purchased a red filter along with it. It seemed to tick many of the boxes I was looking for. The PD32 unfortunately doesn't have an option for the red filter. I doubt I'd be using the red filter much anyway, but it's just a nice to have if needed. Another reason I went with the Nitecore was the low setting of 1 lumin which seems to be a good tent or reading light level. Thanks again for your responses. I much appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
IG

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks Staticx...I received it today and really really like it. But...now I'm thinking of what to get next! I can see how this can get addicting.
Cheers,
IG
Hmmm,
You'll need a headlamp, a key chain light (unless you will always carry the P12 with you), and a thrower.
LOL... WHERE do you want to go first?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
What next? Something with a nicha 219b. High CRI if the next front in quality of light. Now that you have bright go for quality where colors are rendered as they would appear by the sun or an incandescent light.

In fact get both. High CRI ~3000k light and a high CRI ~5000k light. Then you can work your way into 4000k, 4500k and 5700k
The lower the number the warmer the light and the higher the number the cooler the light.

Last edited:

indianageo

Newly Enlightened
What next? Something with a nicha 219b. High CRI if the next front in quality of light. Now that you have bright go for quality where colors are rendered as they would appear by the sun or an incandescent light.

In fact get both. High CRI ~3000k light and a high CRI ~5000k light. Then you can work your way into 4000k, 4500k and 5700k
The lower the number the warmer the light and the higher the number the cooler the light.

Thanks again Staticx (and Poppy). Okay, this is opening up a whole new realm of possibilities that I was unaware, being the noob that I am. I think I'm going to post another thread to get a better understanding of the 'categories' of lights, if you will, that I might consider as sort of a framework for a collection. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on that if you do run across it. I'll post in this section. Thanks.

IG

Latest posts