What makes HDS lights so good? Low lumens & quite expensive for their size.

OCD

Enlightened
I think I am gradually becoming a HDS fan after reading more on this Company and its products.

I just don't know whether I would buy a clicky or a rotary version.

They sound very reliable and robust to cover most jobs that come up.

I use an ITP A3 EOS flashlight 80 lumen max with Med and Lo as well.

Could you carry a HDS light without noticing it too much more than a AAA pocket light?

Because I hardly know that my ITP A3 is there.

It cost me $22 three years ago and no problems.

So it is $22 against around $200 for a HDS 200 lumen approx.

It better be worth the extra money.

This sounds exactly how I was...before I purchased my HDS clicky. My AAA is a stainless Maratac. From the day I got it, I EDC both my HDS and my Maratac. The Maratac mostly serves as a back up light (or as a 2nd light in the event I'm in situation with a friend who may need a light also) and rides in my pocket with whatever else is in there. I used to carry the HDS clipped in my left front pocket of my khakis. I purchased a Kytex holster which is just barely larger than the HDS itself and love it! I don't think I could go back to carrying the HDS in a pocket again.

To your question of Clicky or Rotary...my decision was made largely due to the fact that the rotary doesn't have a clip and slightly on the clicky ultimately being tougher (although I have no doubt the rotary will handle anything thrown at it.) But now that I have a holster and there's word of the rotary's getting a clip, I may be purchasing a rotary sometime down the road.

As stated by others, each light serves a specific role that the other can't fill...like the Maratac gets used often with the clip reversed and clipped on the bill of my hat (no way HDS is doing this!) and the HDS goes from super low to stupid bright and anywhere in between and I know it will work anytime, every time.

I say if you're even considering an HDS, get one. If you're worried about the cost, don't buy anything else similar...save until you can comfortably purchase one and you won't regret it. Even if you only spend $99 on a 120 clicky, it would be money well spent. My HDS clicky has forced my Jetbeam RRT-0 to sitting unused on my dresser.

I got the 200 clicky right out of the gate and as I said earlier, I see a rotary in my future. Heck, I've even contemplated ordering a 120 just because I think its a great light for only $99 and it would be nice to have as a back-up, spare, there-if-needed light.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
The ITP feels flimsy to me. I think the switching is somewhat funky, and I found it difficult to operate one handed. I have big hands, and am somewhat clumsy, so it's possible I'd never be happy with *any* AAA form factor light. The aluminum in the body of the ITP seems thin to me. (The tradeoff is that it is tiny and light.) I am not crazy about the mode selections on the ITP - the low is way too high, in my opinion. If my life were going to depend on the reliability of the ITP, I'd feel seriously under-prepared. With the HDS, I'd have no worries at all. How "worth it" that stuff is only you can answer. I'm not trying to bad-mouth the ITP lights. They are a good deal, they work well, and they have a great form-factor.

I like stuff that feels solid. That matters to some, not to all. I think the HDS feels a LOT more solid than the ITP, and so that is worth a lot to me.

For the record, I accidentally dropped a Countycomm AAA aluminum light (manufactured by ITP) on a tile floor, and the head snapped off above the threads. Really surprised me, for less than a 3' drop.

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

Last edited: