What mode with MH-C9000 and new Eneloops?

Thiers-Issard

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I just received my Maha Powerex MH-C9000 and 8 Eneloop AA (new version) :grin2: Should I run the new Eneloop AA batteries Break-In mode?

Thanks!

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I did a bit of testing on C9000 & new style Eneloops and discovered that the cells I "discharged - resfresh - discharge - break-in", all came out to very near the same capacity of 1980. the ones I did just break-in ranged by 20 or more with only one at 1980-ish.

probably doesn't have any real world effect, but I am going the longer route on all of them now.

tandem

Enlightened
... 8 Eneloop AA (new version) Should I run the new Eneloop AA batteries Break-In mode?

If you aren't sure or sold on the value of a discharge followed by break-in mode, you could always try an experiment and try both approaches so far recommended to you. I'm not suggesting this is the best experiment going, just throwing out here an example of how you can use your device to learn a little bit more about the cells you've invested in and will continue to buy.

• Number your eneloops with a permanent marker, #'s 1 through 8.
  • Grab a notebook/piece of paper or open a computer file and keep track.
  • Insert #1 into slot 1 of your charger, run a 500ma discharge. Note capacity when done. Remove cell, re-insert, and then run the break-in program. Note capacity at the end.
  • Insert #2 into slot 2 of your charger, run a 500ma discharge. Note capacity when done. Remove cell, re-insert, and then run the break-in program. Note capacity at the end.
  • Insert #3 into slot 3 of your charger, run a Refresh/Analyse course. Note available capacity at the end.
  • Insert #4 into slot 4 of your charger, run a Refresh/Analyse course. Note available capacity at the end.
  • Use cell #5 and #6 in a device, maybe you have a flashlight since you are hanging out here. Have fun with them, and when done, consider a break-in cycle, or perhaps break-in one, and refresh/analyse the other.
  • Assuming for a moment that cells 1 & 2, and 3 & 4, are all reporting available capacity relatively similar to their twin, take one of each set and run it through a Cycle program, 3 cycles long. If possible note the discharge capacity at each step.
  • Leave cell #7 and #8 alone until you've done all of the above and perhaps the experiment guides to you making a choice for going-forward.

Maybe one or the other approach will turn out sufficiently different that you'll want to adopt one or the other approach for all new cells going forward. Or maybe the experiment will prove inconclusive and leave you scratching your head still. Either way, you'll gain some thing from it, and you'll get to enjoy the glow from your C9000 for several days while all the above runs.

To be honest, I'm not certain you'll see much of a difference between the two approaches when comparing the initial reports of available capacity to that reported at the end of all this, but who knows.

Or you could just use them and recharge them. Eneloops seem to be awfully forgiving.

Whatever route you choose, I do think it is a) worth numbering them and keeping track of what you've done with them at least until you establish that what you are doing is working well, and as part of that b) worth running a *discharge* on all new cells first, just to see if you have any bad cells or real outliers in the bunch - as another once said, it gives you a "baseline". By numbering them before you ever put them in a device or the C9000 you can keep track of these potential bad boys and see if break-in or r&a brings them back in line with the others.

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
the ones I did just break-in ranged by 20 or more with only one at 1980-ish.

I'm sorry but I don't quite follow you here, could you expand a little?

Also, when you do just the break-in program, do you first do a discharge to get the baseline?

Thanks!

XRAYBoY

Newly Enlightened
I made a Refresh to my new Eneloops and almost gave a perfect readings. (all over 1980mAh)
Still I made a Break-in mode, but did not improve anything.

Make a Refresh first. If comes well, do not bother to make the Break-in.

Thiers-Issard

Newly Enlightened
If you aren't sure or sold on the value of a discharge followed by break-in mode, you could always try an experiment and try both approaches so far recommended to you. I'm not suggesting this is the best experiment going, just throwing out here an example of how you can use your device to learn a little bit more about the cells you've invested in and will continue to buy.

• Number your eneloops with a permanent marker, #'s 1 through 8.
  • Grab a notebook/piece of paper or open a computer file and keep track.
  • Insert #1 into slot 1 of your charger, run a 500ma discharge. Note capacity when done. Remove cell, re-insert, and then run the break-in program. Note capacity at the end.
  • Insert #2 into slot 2 of your charger, run a 500ma discharge. Note capacity when done. Remove cell, re-insert, and then run the break-in program. Note capacity at the end.
  • Insert #3 into slot 3 of your charger, run a Refresh/Analyse course. Note available capacity at the end.
  • Insert #4 into slot 4 of your charger, run a Refresh/Analyse course. Note available capacity at the end.
  • Use cell #5 and #6 in a device, maybe you have a flashlight since you are hanging out here. Have fun with them, and when done, consider a break-in cycle, or perhaps break-in one, and refresh/analyse the other.
  • Assuming for a moment that cells 1 & 2, and 3 & 4, are all reporting available capacity relatively similar to their twin, take one of each set and run it through a Cycle program, 3 cycles long. If possible note the discharge capacity at each step.
  • Leave cell #7 and #8 alone until you've done all of the above and perhaps the experiment guides to you making a choice for going-forward.

Maybe one or the other approach will turn out sufficiently different that you'll want to adopt one or the other approach for all new cells going forward. Or maybe the experiment will prove inconclusive and leave you scratching your head still. Either way, you'll gain some thing from it, and you'll get to enjoy the glow from your C9000 for several days while all the above runs.

To be honest, I'm not certain you'll see much of a difference between the two approaches when comparing the initial reports of available capacity to that reported at the end of all this, but who knows.

Or you could just use them and recharge them. Eneloops seem to be awfully forgiving.

Whatever route you choose, I do think it is a) worth numbering them and keeping track of what you've done with them at least until you establish that what you are doing is working well, and as part of that b) worth running a *discharge* on all new cells first, just to see if you have any bad cells or real outliers in the bunch - as another once said, it gives you a "baseline". By numbering them before you ever put them in a device or the C9000 you can keep track of these potential bad boys and see if break-in or r&a brings them back in line with the others.
Wow! That was a mouthful! :eek:oo: :D I will definitely run some tests!
Thanks for all the suggestions.

ronny sajo

Newly Enlightened
Hi,,!!
i am just bought a new sanyo700, how to make it full contition guys??and what step firts on mhc 9000??please help me,,thank you,,

Russel

Enlightened
Hi,,!!
i am just bought a new sanyo700, how to make it full contition guys??and what step firts on mhc 9000??please help me,,thank you,,

If I understand you correctly, you just got some new Sanyo 700 AA cells and want to know how to condition them. Is that correct?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read this link and am interested in the possible problem caused by fan cooling the batteries during charging.

I have a "Hama Delta 4S" charger that has an internal fan built in ... I always thought that this was a good charger , but having read the link , I am not so sure now.