What technology will replace LED's as most efficient light source

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just googled the "carbon nanotubes modern asbestos" reference and found it very interesting.

I didn't know about this.

Thanks for the reference.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just googled the "carbon nanotubes modern asbestos" reference and found it very interesting.

I didn't know about this.

Thanks for the reference.

As an interesting anecdote:

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, "The World's First Production Carbon-Fiber Aircraft" uses revolutionary technology and really big *** vacuum ovens to create the body sections out of carbon fiber composite (Carbon fiber and epoxy). But the fittings themselves are made wrong-size and covered in plain old fiberglass (Glass fiber and epoxy) which is sanded down to a tight fit. This removes some weight savings of the advanced material and adds a lot of labor. Why? Because sanded carbon fiber is worse to handle in a maintenance hangar than a heavier aircraft and another assembly step. This is a case where long jagged fibers become peculiarly airborne and pose an inhalation risk.

All this said, asbestos is still used; it's just used carefully (And not as friable melt-spun fibers). No CNT that remain in a product can harm you by inhalation, but production, assembly, maintenance, and end-of-life handling require some thought.

Cannybar

Newly Enlightened
I think that could be old news for many, but anyone have thoughts on laser lights?
I'm talking about the stuff BMW and probably other car manufacturers are putting in their future headlights.

tarrow

Newly Enlightened
Plasma lights are too hot and require to much collateral parts besides the bulb and power source to be of any use in a mobile device in the near future. Some film projector people, indoor plant growers and planted tank enthusiasts are starting to use plasma lights. From what I have read they are not quite as high yielding for indoor growing of certain plants on a cost basis (compared to Hi pressure sodium lamps ) and a yield per square foot basis and though they seem to be very good for hi-tech planted tanks they are something of a mixed blessing as along with the required CO2, the plants grow too fast and daily tank maintenance becomes excessive at least for show tanks perhaps not for production tanks.