What's best 123 rechargeable that fits HDS lights?

hatman

Enlightened
Best meaning most powerful, longest-lasting and reliable 123 rechargeable that fits HDS lights.

hatman

Enlightened
Have you bought any AWs recently?

They are pricey and in short supply.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the AW 16340 in all 3 of my HDS lights and am very happy with them, they are 750 mAh.

More like 500-550mAH per HJK's testing. I would just go with Efest 550mAH IMRs. They are cheaper, easier to find, can produce higher current, and are rated quite truthfully as far as capacity.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another Olight RCR vote here.
Have some Nitecore versions, seem to be everything the Olight are except wrapper may be not as quality.

hatman

Enlightened
More like 500-550mAH per HJK's testing. I would just go with Efest 550mAH IMRs. They are cheaper, easier to find, can produce higher current, and are rated quite truthfully as far as capacity.

Thanks, but not interested in unprotected batteries.

Re the tests on AW's -- can that be true? Do you have a link to the test?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but not interested in unprotected batteries.

Re the tests on AW's -- can that be true? Do you have a link to the test?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Test-Review-of-AW-16340-ICR123-750mAh-(Black)

Bear in mind that RCR123a batteries are notorious for overly optimistic capacity ratings. I'm actually surprised that HJK gave this battery a 'good' rating despite the fact that its actual capacity falls a whole 200mAH (26.7%!) short of its rated capacity.

Speaking of protected vs unprotected, does the light not have overdischarge protection?

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Test-Review-of-AW-16340-ICR123-750mAh-(Black)

Bear in mind that RCR123a batteries are notorious for overly optimistic capacity ratings. I'm actually surprised that HJK gave this battery a 'good' rating despite the fact that its actual capacity falls a whole 200mAH (26.7%!) short of its rated capacity.

Speaking of protected vs unprotected, does the light not have overdischarge protection?

Thanks.

I'm too cautious for unprotected. I'd be the guy wearing a belt AND suspenders.
icon7.gif

hatman

Enlightened
For the record, I've used AWs and EagleTacs and haven't been overly impressed with either.

Has anyone found something better?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record, I've used AWs and EagleTacs and haven't been overly impressed with either.

That's the problem. There aren't any GREAT RCRs out there. They're all fairly mediocre. I just think the Efest IMRs are probably the best of the bunch.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened

In what way aren't you impressed with them? For normal flashlights all I can think of is runtime and since AW and eagletac are both solid brands i'm not sure you can improve much on batteries.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In what way aren't you impressed with them? For normal flashlights all I can think of is runtime and since AW and eagletac are both solid brands i'm not sure you can improve much on batteries.

I'm guessing the fact that capacity is well below the stated amount and the correspondingly short runtime. This is a problem with virtually all RCRs. As far as improving on the batteries, this is VERY possible - if someone actually had the desire to do it. Sanyo/Panasonic currently sells a 2500mAH 16650. Given that this is a 4.35V battery, the capacity at 4.2V is probably more like 2200mAH. But since a 16340 is at least half the size of a 16650, there is no reason why we couldn't have a REAL 1000mAH (at least) 16340.

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
I'm guessing the fact that capacity is well below the stated amount and the correspondingly short runtime. This is a problem with virtually all RCRs. As far as improving on the batteries, this is VERY possible - if someone actually had the desire to do it. Sanyo/Panasonic currently sells a 2500mAH 16650. Given that this is a 4.35V battery, the capacity at 4.2V is probably more like 2200mAH. But since a 16340 is at least half the size of a 16650, there is no reason why we couldn't have a REAL 1000mAH (at least) 16340.

Well said.

The runtimes do indeed seem short.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said.

The runtimes do indeed seem short.

Well, that's just the nature of the beast.

If you want longer runtimes, use your 18650 lights. 500+ lumens for 20+ minutes on a 16340 light the size of lipstick is pretty killer if you ask me.

AW IMRs are what I use in my ET D25 Ti clicky and my SWM V11R XM-L and my new XM-L2 V11R. For my M11R and my Shiningbeam I-Mini, I use protected AW ICR black labels because those lights run at a lower current which is fine for the ICR chemistry.

Andrew Wan (AW) takes more time to cull out the inferior Chinese sourced 16340s and so his cells have a good reputation.

Remember, it's not just a random test on a new battery/cell that only matters, it's how long those cells last and IME, AWs last a fairly long time.

Your HDS rotary probably doesn't pull too many amps, so you might stick with the protected ICR cells.

For the record, Efest 16340s are getting as hard to find here as AWs. I just bought the last AW IMR and Efest IMR from RTDvapor last Friday and people like LightHound, Illumination.com, GoingGear and a few others were completely out.

Chris

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me start by saying that I use AW cells and have found them to be reliable. However, HKJ's testing of the AW black protected ICR found the actual capacity was much less than the 750 mAh printed on the label (between 500 and 550 mAh). HKJ's testing of AW red IMR was slightly over the 550 mAh capacity listed. (Although he was not impressed with the high current capabilities of this small cell.) So in this case, the IMR cells provide better capacity. HDS detect rechargeable li-ions and have low voltage warnings and cutoff so I'm comfortable using unprotected cells in them.

I see that UltraFire has an unprotected 16340 ICR labeled as 880 mAh. But I don't want to go there.

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
If you want longer runtimes, use your 18650 lights.

Chris

I get that - thanks. I have several decent 18650 lights.

But I also want the most out of my HDS models. I thought folks here would be interested in which are the best -- that is, longest lasting -- protected 16340s.

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the problem. There aren't any GREAT RCRs out there. They're all fairly mediocre. ...

I agree. That is especially true for the protected versions. For IMR, I also agree that the Efest is a good choice, the V2 550mAh version.