what's in your vehicle survival kit?

cruisemissile

Enlightened
Like many, I keep some emergency essentials in my car, such as empty gas can, bottled water, jumper cables, umbrella, paper towels, hand sanitizer, a few basic tools, poncho, etc..
I also usually carry my cell phone in a Pelican waterproof case in case I get caught in the rain and have to walk for help, and have a car charger for my cell. (communications are important).
I also have an automatic Microtech UDT knife (legal in my state, and legal for me to carry concealed since I have a concealed weapons permit. I used to have my Glock 40 cal with me, but not as of late. otherwise I recognize threat of assault/robbery of those whose cars have broken down and are vulnerable to criminal elements)

Your emergency supplies for your vehicle vary from region to region:
I live in FLA now (and worry about rain, hurricanes, heat, etc..), but when I lived in Maine, I also carried a snow shovel, blanket, bag of rock salt/sand, snow chains for tires, etc...

but a while back I got intrigued by the idea of an "Altoids-tin" survival kit that fits in your pocket with some very basic essentials.
So I expanded on it, since for a vehicle, you have a bit more space to work with.
I went to Wal-mart and got a water-tight strong container with solid latches. ($6.88) (I live in FLA and it pours buckets, and we even have a hurricane season. so I'm prepared to break-down in the worst conditions)

Here are the contents: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight009.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight006.jpg
  • Flashlight (Pentagonlight L2 LED) I know there are some smaller lights, but I like the solid feel and quality, as well as beam quality and run time of my L2.
  • Spare CR123's (6 of them)
  • Leatherman Core multi-tool
  • First aid supplies in ziploc bag/plastic container (band aids, antiseptic wipes, cotton balls, razor blades, aspirin/ibuprofen, burn gel packets, antiseptic ointment, etc..)
  • Colibri Extreme Quantum Lighter (weatherproof torch) with lanyard
  • combination-whistle/compass/magnifier
  • I also threw in my latest flashlight- Fenix P1D-CE since it has a strobe/SOS function which can come in handy for extra visibility and signalling whether I stay with my vehicle or decide to walk for help.
  • Extra ziploc bag (handy for anything, such as putting your wallet in, in case you have to walk in the rain for help, etc..)
Pic of case with contents closed: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight008.jpg
It has a glow in the dark Pentagonlight sticker that came with my L2 (I'm not affiliated nor represent Pentagonlights, by the way)

I keep the kit tucked away in the center console of my vehicle, it keeps everything neat and secure, easy and fast to get to (instead of having stuff scattered in glove box, under seat, or wherever. which can be inconvenient should you need it.)
my wife has an identical case and kit in her car with identical contents I have except she has a smaller generic multi tool, but has a Spyderco Delica stainless steel, and for a light she has a Surefire E2 with KL1 LED head. She also has a large container of pepper spray.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/jblotner1/squashlight010.jpg

Old saying- if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. be prepared..!
we also have a large tupperware bin with a bunch of hurricane emergency essentials in case we have to evacuate, or even stay home with no power/water, but that's a whole different thread) but there are lots of lighting options and flashlights in that kit...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets see this is by memory,

In both vehicles I have, gear for my wife and I:

1 - Inova X0 (Tiros) - glove box
1 - 5 C cell maglight - glove box

In a tote in the back:

First aid kit
2 wool blankets
2 pairs wool boot pac liners
2 pairs socks
Victorinox SAK
1 pair pac boots
Cold Steel shovel
WWII Marine Corps Bolo (doubles as a decent ax)
2 deluxe emergency blankets with sewn in grommets
2 wool navy watch caps
2 pair wool gloves
spool of tarred nylon decoy cord
fire starting kit
emergency food
emegency water supply
tool kit

glass punch - hanging on beaded chain from mirror
serrated seatbelt knife - hanging on beaded chain from mirror

I think that is a good share of it, coud be missing a few things.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
Lets see this is by memory,

In both vehicles I have, gear for my wife and I:

1 - Inova X0 (Tiros) - glove box
1 - 5 C cell maglight - glove box

In a tote in the back:

First aid kit
2 wool blankets
2 pairs wool boot pac liners
2 pairs socks
Victorinox SAK
1 pair pac boots
Cold Steel shovel
WWII Marine Corps Bolo (doubles as a decent ax)
2 deluxe emergency blankets with sewn in grommets
2 wool navy watch caps
2 pair wool gloves
spool of tarred nylon decoy cord
fire starting kit
emergency food
emegency water supply
tool kit

glass punch - hanging on beaded chain from mirror
serrated seatbelt knife - hanging on beaded chain from mirror

I think that is a good share of it, coud be missing a few things.

nice set up... I guess where you travel, terrain, etc.. definitely affects what you carry.
for the longest time I used to have 3D Mag handy- mostly, it was to use as a "club". how times change..!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true, since we spend a lot of time up to the cabin, especially from Oct - Jan for hunting seasons it makes sense to carry this stuff coniderig it is Michigan after all. I would rather keep it in and not forget it should we need it. Even a 20 drive to the city in a Michigan storm could turn nasy if one ends up in a ditch at night, a very real possiblity in our AO. Then there is the hunting in some rather out of the way spots where my 3/4 ton GMC 4 wheeler could break down.

I forgot the small cache of spare parts, hoses, serpentine belt, fuses, duct tape, and other various oddments including a bottle jack.

Last edited: