Whats new for 3d maglite?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have been out of the maglite game for 8 years.
I know the answer is Malkoff but looking for a cheap option for a gift.
$10-17

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that's a tough one. You can def pick a used 3D Incan shipped for that price. If you really scour the auction sites you might be able to pick up a used Mag LED for that price. If you do pick up an Incan you can get a PR based LED drop in like a Terralux and it's actually a pretty ok light for another ~$10. The run time is amazing, ~30 hours, and the tint is so so. Newer drop ins are a cool tint but older ones are a nasty blue or yellow.

That being said unless you really want to run on alkalines and need a really really really long run time there's probably better lights out there. I have a few LED convert Mags and they def have their place in my stable though. Very easy to operate and lend in a classic form factor. A good bang for the buck.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have the 3d mag laying around which narrows the choice.

I have the terralux module in a 4d. Nice but it is almost $20.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nite Ize has a new LED drop in coming out - supposedly 74 lumens works with 2-6 cells, $14 from home depot, older 55 lumen version seems to be on clearance for around $5. Dorcy also sells 40 lumen 3-4 cell drop ins for around $5.

Last edited:

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
I have an old 3D, from the late '80s I think? Maybe early '90s? I keep wondering what to do with it. Aside from its "blunt object" quality, it just can't even come close to hanging with my modern lights. But I'm loath to get rid of it even though it's little better than a paperweight, and at the same time I don't want to spend a chunk of money upgrading it to a level of performance that's still below what an average LiOn LED can do. I'm curious to see if this thread turns up any interesting ideas.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A pair of 18650's inside a sleeve made of automotive wire loom wrapped in tape to fit the light better, then a 5 or 6 cell bulb will provide 150-200 lumens.
Using auto wire loom leaves enough gap between battery and sleeve to allow them to slide in and out at recharge time.

All Maglite full size are made of the same stuff 2-7 cell so no worries about heat with stock parts. Cutting about 1 wrap of the spring then bending it to match the factory shape will allow you to fasten the tailcap easier.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old 3D, from the late '80s I think? Maybe early '90s? I keep wondering what to do with it. Aside from its "blunt object" quality, it just can't even come close to hanging with my modern lights. But I'm loath to get rid of it even though it's little better than a paperweight, and at the same time I don't want to spend a chunk of money upgrading it to a level of performance that's still below what an average LiOn LED can do. I'm curious to see if this thread turns up any interesting ideas.

The 55 lumen Nite Ize drop ins are a nice LED upgrade....don't let the 55 lumens fool you, you can focus the beam in a Mag and still get very good throw and even 55 lumens is brighter than the original Mag 2 and 3 cell krypton bulbs. Haven't tried the 74 lumen version yet, but that should be about the same lumens as a Mag 4 cell kypton lamp.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
The 55 lumen Nite Ize drop ins are a nice LED upgrade....don't let the 55 lumens fool you, you can focus the beam in a Mag and still get very good throw and even 55 lumens is brighter than the original Mag 2 and 3 cell krypton bulbs. Haven't tried the 74 lumen version yet, but that should be about the same lumens as a Mag 4 cell kypton lamp.

Hmmm, so it replaces the original bulb, no extra mods. From a lumen output it's still well below the average modern flashlight but it might be enough to regain some measure of practicality. And the 74 lumen model is only $15 on amazon, so not a major investment. I might try that, thanks.

Of course, a reviewer asks whether it's worth buying an upgraded bulb ($15) when you could spend a little more and get a new LED Mag 3 ($25) that's even brighter (168 lumens). The answer being, buying a new one doesn't solve the problem of what to do with the old one...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for a gift given a pre-existing 3D. Lower lumens and best runtime is desired. Looks like Nite-ize that sells as cheap as it does is the ticket.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for a gift given a pre-existing 3D. Lower lumens and best runtime is desired. Looks like Nite-ize that sells as cheap as it does is the ticket.
If max run time is desired while retaining a 45 Lumens output. ..the Dorcy 3-6V drop in will provide with well over 100 hours of output...and still be able to focus the beam and sharpen the focus to a more proper circle.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the Nite-Ize. Sounds just like the ticket and the price is right.

I had their older model, from circa 10 years. That thing was dim and blue. Maybe 5-10 lumens? the 10mm LED, remember that one? It sold for about 8.99 at Chimart.

This one promises about 55 lumens.

I give all Mags away as gifts.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
The nite ize 74 lumen model arrived today and I put it in my old 3D. Not bad. Of course the light has nowhere near the warmth of the old bulb but it is brighter. More effective as a focused spot than in flood mode. Bright enough that I'm likely to reach for it over another one of my lights? Probably not. But if the power happens to go out while I'm doing laundry, it'll be handy.