What's New in Battery Chargers?

Carbo

Newly Enlightened
It's been a long time since I've been in the market, but I am in need of a battery charger. My last foray into this market was several year ago when the MAHA MH-C9000 was first introduced. Well, today it died on me and does nothing when plugged into any wall outlet. The digital screen will occasionally flash for a few seconds, but it's now officially a paperweight.
My needs are strictly for AA and AAA Eneloops. What are you all recommending these days? Thank you.

Bones

Enlightened
The MH-C9000 carries a three-year warranty, so it could be worthwhile determining exactly when it was purchased before seeking a replacement.

Insofar as a replacement is concerned, it still ranks as the best consumer grade charger/analyzer/conditioner available for your Eneloops. This is due in part to a major firmware revision and a number of otherwise minor tweaks its received since it was introduced.

Carbo

Newly Enlightened
I purchased it through Thomas Distributing when the model was first released, if I remember correctly. I sent an email to Thomas to ask about this. If it's still under warranty, perhaps I can just get a replacement.
If not, I'll do some research into what else might be available.

McAllan

Enlightened
Have you tried another 12V 2A power supply?
The delivered one is a switch mode and they're prone to die suddenly. You charger might actually still work fine.

If you only have a random 12V 1A one then try that but then only load it about half as maximum - 4 cells @ 1A or 2 cellss @ 2A etc.

I don't use the original one that came with mine as it seems it whines less (the audible high frequency noise us "young" are able to hear) when used with a good quality iron core one.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes the power supply is suspect here.
do you have a lighter cord?
make sure it is + center.
and drop maha an email.very good customer service!

Carbo

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to rummage about the house, but I suspect the only power supply I have is the one that came with the unit.
Contacting MAHA is a good idea. I'm going to shoot them an email. But after checking some records, it appears my unit was purchased about 3 years and 4 months ago. Planned obsolesence at its best. ;)

Carbo

Newly Enlightened
Update: just plugged the unit into an outlet again. Now, three of the four slots is working. Number 2 isn't. My assumption is the charger is fine but the unit itself is heading for early retirement.

RobSpook

Newly Enlightened
Carbo,

Just contact MAHA... Don't worry about the warranty period and the four months. Just tell them whats going on with the charger and they'll probably take care you. They've stood by their products even past the warranty period.

Rob

Carbo

Newly Enlightened
Carbo,

Just contact MAHA... Don't worry about the warranty period and the four months. Just tell them whats going on with the charger and they'll probably take care you. They've stood by their products even past the warranty period.

Rob
Rob, you are absolutely correct. I emailed MAHA and, sure enough, a quick email reply back and a new replacement unit is on its way, free of charge. Stand up company, to say the least. :twothumbs

RobSpook

Newly Enlightened
Yes, good news! Companies like this should be recognized... another is ProgressiveRC... Those iChargers and power supplies are top notch and Dave is great to deal with.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
1266522219295.jpg