What's your EDC Calculator?

Wrend

Enlightened

:D

Now that's some classy stuff.

I'm guilty of getting a Timex pager/e-mail watch several years ago. I might have also had a calculator watch for a short time many years ago. If not, I'm pretty sure I at least wanted one for a while. That would have been something like 25 years ago.

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened
I completely understand the "stigma" surrounding the old, geeky calc watc. Really dated(bad pun intended). :grin2: I have recently restarted a small collection of calculators and slide rules. One of my still functioning favorites is a early 70's Commodore with red leds .

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an HP 48 G off Ebay a couple of years ago to replace the HP 48 GX that I bought in '93 when it finally died.

When this calculator dies, I will desperately search for another RPN calculator to replace it.

The thought of using a non-RPN calculator makes me feel sick :sick2:

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
RPN seems kind of goofy to me. I guess you get used to it.

:shrug:

Imagine being able to do serious computation without needing
(a) to use parentheses inside your expressions
(b) to constantly assign intermediate results to variables or write them to scratch paper for later use
(c) to "clear error" because you mis-typed a number and risk your whole computation being lost.

There are other, more subtle advantages, but for regular calculator use, I think those are the top three.

It takes all of 10 minutes of experimentation to get used to RPN, I don't know why it isn't more common.

--flatline

Wrend

Enlightened
Yeah, I've heard of some of its advantages. It's kind of like you do the calculation in different layers. It would be difficult for me to keep track of which layer I was on, at least until I got used to it.

I just enter in a whole equation on my calculator and it returns the most simplified result, or solves for any/every variable. I do have to use parenthesis and whatnot though.

Henry50

Newly Enlightened
EDC calculator? the one in my head.

The one in my desk, the same one since highschool. Casio fx

Wrend

Enlightened
Wow. That is definitely pretty cool; even more so since they were passed down in your family.

Thanks for sharing. :)

I wish I had my grandparents' old mechanical typewriter. I would go over to their place to use it when I was in elementary school. It was old then, but worked perfectly, so long as you didn't hit more than one letter at once, causing the strikers/hammers (or whatever they're called) to hit each other. Don't know what ended up happening to it.

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened
RBR,

Those Addiators are in wonderful shape! Every example I have seen , in person, has been non-functional. Those and the Curta mechanical calculators are works of art, imo.

ericjohn

Enlightened
TI Math Explorer (90's version.) I used to use a TI-89, but I sold it. Could kick myself for doing so. On the Explorer, I like its ability to do Fraction to Decimal conversions and Exponents...I don't really use a lot of Mathematics in my daily life, except for DIY projects, which it is very useful. I always had scientific calculators around me growing up, as my mom is a Geometry teacher. She would always bring home ones that students gave up or to help her grade papers.

A few months ago, I saw a calculator at the Dollar General for $5. It was a knock off of the TI-30XIIS (90's version), and had the same keypad layout and firmware. Couldn't pass up that deal.

As for the TI-89, I used it almost as a PDA. I was also trying to create a program for generate pressure/temperature charts for any given type of refrigerant. The science department at my high school used all sorts of accessories for their TI graphing calculators, such as thermometers and other types of instruments. Now 6 years out of there and all students and faculty use iPads for everything.

Last edited:

Wrend

Enlightened
I picked up a Nexus 7 tablet a few months ago, but haven't found any advanced calculator apps that I like for it well enough to use. I still use the TI-89 more or less daily.

If you're looking for one, I think you can still find the Titanium models new pretty easily. Same capabilities (plus a couple minor functions) as the older models. I prefer the classic retro look of the older versions though. There's also the Voyage 200, which is essentially the TI-89 Titanium with a qwerty keyboard and larger screen. I've thought about picking one of these up for the better viewable graph resolution.

Someday I hope to program my Arduino (open-source microcontroller board) to interface with my TI-89 and use various components for data gathering. I could do that with my Nexus 7 too (that would actually likely be easier to do), but then I wouldn't have the same variable manipulation capabilities built in.

Last edited:

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
HP-15c LE. I much prefer RPN to algebraic-entry calculators and the 15C is such an elegant machine. It's especially great for calculations with complex numbers.

I also have some vintage HPs--42s, a couple of 41CVs, etc., but tend to use them less for daily use because of their age. They work great, though. And I have an HP-30b repurposed as a scientific calculator, the WP-34s, which is incredibly fast and powerful.

Wrend

Enlightened
Yeah, nice looking re-release of an 80's classic, for sure. Seems they made it a lot faster with more modern internal components. Not really a fan of RPN myself, but I understand the appeal.

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
It was great that HP did that. Original 15Cs, especially ones in very good condition, go for some pretty big money so it's nice to be able to get one that I'm not afraid to use. And like you say the new one is much faster. I also have a 15C emulator on my iPhone that works very nicely but I prefer the feel of a real one.

There are some people in Switzerland who make a credit card size clone of the 15C (along with the 10C, 11C, and 12C, too) and it's pretty nice.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
Used the HP-48SX in college, but now have a great freeware program call Free 42 by Thomas Okken ( http://thomasokken.com/free42/)
This is a HP-42S simulator that runs on pretty much everything! I really like RPN calculation and this has a skin identical to the HP-42S, so I have it on my Iphone, Ipod Touch, and all my PCs. It even runs on Android.

BTW, if anyone has a real HP-42S for sale, send me a line, I've got a bit of a collection going...

nightshade

Enlightened
Thanks for the link FlashGordon, added to my PC and Roid. And good to see you around as well.

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
I bought an HP-41 after I got out of engineering school. Too bad they didn't come out before then. That was my EDC until last year when I discovered the HP41 app for the iPhone. Since I have my phone with me most of the time I have a very capable calculator with me. My real HP-41 is still working fine.