Where to buy Deoxit Gold

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
I live in Norman, OK. Been all over town and can't seem to find anyone who offers Deoxit Gold. Hate buying on-line because of shipping charges and would really rather support local businesses anyway. What stores would typically inventory Deoxit Gold?

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Burly. Didn't stop by there yesterday. I'll give them a try.

Thanks for the alternate suggestion Fixer.

Last edited:

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Holy Cow! I just looked on Best Buy's site and didn't realize there were so many different Deoxit Gold variations. Which one would be best for general use?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try hi-fi or audio-video stores. The form factor depends on how you like to apply it. Since it's supposed to be only for gold contacts, not cleaning/lubing big components, I think you only want a small amount to apply, so small tube, or needle applicator is good for me. I usually put a drop on a Q-tip and wipe it on the contacts. The other thing is concentration strength; 100% strength or diluted (5%, I think). I understand this depends on how much cleaner action you want, vs. just applying to a clean surface. If you can only find a spray can, I try to spray a tiny amount on the Q-tip.

In the end, I think it doesn't matter too much. Anytime you clean contacts and apply Deoxit red or gold, it is good.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't hugely helpful and I apologize for that but I usually just grab whatever is in stock with the mini brush.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just stopped by our Best Buy and even though it's shown on their website, they've never heard of it. So I've tried Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, ACE Hardware, NAPA Auto Parts Stores, several cell phone and computer repair shops. Did find one computer guy who'd heard of it but never used it, so didn't know where to find it. Any more suggestions?

Guess I'll have to resort to ordering it on-line and paying the durned stupid freight charges.

UPDATE:
Went ahead and ordered on-line from Wallyworld. Should have it in a week. But I've a question about it. Pulled an old LED light out of my camera bag last night and the Alka-leaks had trashed it. Cleaned it up with vinager, but I think the switch is messed up because it still wouldn't work even with new batteries. If I spray Deoxit down in the tail switch, might that fix it, or is the flashlight trashed?

Last edited:

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Too late. Couldn't get it to work. It went out with the trash and into the truck this afternoon. Was only one of those silly door-buster lights for $.98 or something similarly ridiculous. They are everywhere. I'll just get another.

I'll feel better when my Deoxit arrives. The minute I stop using a light that I only use occasionally, I'll pull the Alky-leaks out of them...............and promise to never again buy another one! I'll stick with Eneloop rechargeable batteries once I get set up. But thanks for the offer to look at it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Those 3AAA 9x5mm LED lights with carbon zinc batteries in them are a great host for all your throwaway alkaleaks worry free lumens if they leak.... you can toss them or sometimes the carriers can be cleaned up and used in another light.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Ha-ha................I've seen pics of "parts" boxes where some of you guys save pieces for fixing other lights. I'm not anywhere near doing anything like that. I've far too many other hobbies. In fact, if I take on another my little wife says she's going to divorce me! :grin2:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It all traces back to the early days of LED lights when the lights were expensive and fragile. The 98 cent 3AAA lights cost $15 back then and there wasn't any rechargeable batteries either so not only did you have to worry about it breaking but avoiding alkaleaks was tougher. Today the same light although more fragile can be had cheaper than trying to find a new battery carrier back in the past. There are tons of lights under $10 that blow away the $25 lights in the early days in output, modes, quality, and battery choices plus once you invest in chargers and rechargeables you don't worry about leaks destroying a light that was hard to get and went out of production that you liked.
I don't think they had Deoxit back then either sandpaper and vinegar and alcohol and rubber erasers were your alkaleak repair kit.