where to find a 2.4v 0.93A xenon bulb

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
i bought a coleman cheapie back and i put the xenon bulb in my 3D maglite firguring it would alright since the coleman ran off 4AA but i didn't see the voltage and blew out my bulb. can anyone help me locate one of these? thanks

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
the name philips is also on the bulb base(its PR style base) but i looked onto sites and can't find the right amp amount.

Nubo

Enlightened
A 2-cell Mag "Whitestar" bulb should work well. Lol - I had the same issue in reverse. I bought a 4-AA light intending to use it with rechargeables and a 3-cell bulb. I just assumed the light came with a 4-cell bulb and there was nothing on the package to indicate otherwise but discovered it was like yours -- 2 sets of 2 batteries in parallel.

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
isn't there a xenon bulb for the 2cells? would that work for it? i think it was called mag-num or something

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
This does not answer your question, but if you are using NiMH then the commonly available KPR141 would be a brighter choice than the stock bulb. Walmart, Sears, etc carry it as a 2V 1.2A bulb for rechargeable lanterns.

Paladin

Enlightened
Phillips does make a 2.4 v 0.8 A lamp in a PR style.

Mine are marked Phillips HPX21 and they throw a very tight hot spot with wide spill when installed in a 2 D Maglight. I figured with the XPR103 "upgrade" for 3D's so popular, this would work similarly in a 2D, and it did.

I'm also using a KR2.4V 0.9A pr style lamp in my Sear 3AAA LED leftover body, and it is pretty nice. ETA: radioshack p/n 272-1157 is the KPR102, rated 2.4 v at 0.9 A. kills the 3aaa's fast, but is impressive when they are fresh.

Check at Radio Shack for lamps. Also good hardware stores (not Lowes/Home depot) like Ace sometimes have the Phillips lamps. I don't recall exactly where I came up with the pair. Does anyone think the Phillips HPX21 rated 2.4 v. 0.8 A MIGHT survive in a 3D? HTH.

Paladin

Last edited:

MoonRise

Enlightened
Do I think a 2-cell xenon bulb might survive in a 3-D? Nope, I don't think it would.

Most xenon bulbs will not like a 50% overdrive. Heck, driving a 3-cell xenon bulb on 4 NiMH cells (rested but not drained at all) is flirting with an instaflash. Been there, done that, have the dead bulb because of it, no t-shirt though.

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
paladin-i dont know what ETA means but if radioshack has got them, i might walk down there or call them maybe today and go get one. thanks for you help

Paladin

Enlightened
ETA means Editted to add. The red info was when I looked up the bulb data online.

Paladin

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
would anyone know if lambda's PR based SMJLED would work in this? would the A(amps im guessing) be the right amount?

Nubo

Enlightened
KSH92474 said:
isn't there a xenon bulb for the 2cells? would that work for it? i think it was called mag-num or something

Mag makes 2 kinds of high-performance bulbs. The MagNum-Star is a Xenon bulb, and the Mag WhiteStar is a Krypton.

The Xenon might have an edge at the "intended" voltage, but doesn't tolerate overvoltage very well; it may already be at the edge at normal voltage. The Krypton versions do better at overvoltage.