Where to get Gentos Lantern

Kremer

Enlightened
We may have bought ours from the same person. My two just arrived, they are pretty bright.

Does anyone know what sort of circuit these have? I'm wondering how dead it'll suck batteries.

EDIT: I just jumpered it in combinations of single cells. There was nothing that I could see from 1 cell on it, and it was very dim with two. My guess is just current regulation with no boost capacity.

Last edited:

Kremer

Enlightened
I've had one of mine running on high for nearly a week now on batteries I got out of the recycle bin at work. It was truly on high/regulation for maybe 10 hours before it started to dim down, and it has continued to dim. Now it's just a little dimmer than my other one on low with fresh cells, but still putting out more than enough light to eat by, get around, or use in a tent. I'm impressed with the incredible runtime so far and will be letting it run these alkaline cells completely into the ground to see what happens.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Quick eyeball test:

Put the Rayovac SE3dln against my 8D Coleman Cree Lantern. To my older eyeballs it seems slightly brighter. It claims to run 72 hours high/ 150 hours low versus the Coleman claim of 35 hours high/ 50 hours low. 3D batteries versus 8D on the Coleman. Of course much lighter and smaller footprint. Pretty good deal so far but haven't used it in the field. In a 10X10 room it provides adequate light to putz around and be safe.

Aloha all!

Kremer

Enlightened
Mine is still on and putting out light in the garage. And still enough to go out there without dark adapted eyes and get around. I'll report back when it falls below that threshold.

This thing might be mismarketed, it's not even close to your everyday camping lantern, it is more a 'month in the woods on one set of cells' survival lantern.

create54321

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of the Rayovac's very nice.. Still no luck on finding a gentos warm white.. Looks like the mother company may be favourlight.

I camp so much and a couple of WARM WHITE lanterns with long lasting power like this would be such a blessing. Yahoo shopping japan won't ship here! Still trying to figure it out how to get one.

Keep me updated if anyone finds it available. Thanks so much you guys.
Mike

Kremer

Enlightened
I wonder if applying a piece of that yellow plastic wrap over the LED dome would soften up the color enough?

Kremer

Enlightened
Mine is still on and putting out light in the garage. And still enough to go out there without dark adapted eyes and get around. I'll report back when it falls below that threshold.

This thing keeps going, and going... it's at the threshold where going from the bright house to the dark garage leaves you blind for a moment before you can see with the lantern, I pulled the cells out and all three are ~.85V. But it's still making plenty enough light to see in a tent.

still running.

Kremer

Enlightened
I finally terminated the runtime test, the cells were down to ~.75V each (no load) and the lantern was less than the brightness of a candle. It ran over 3 weeks with Energizer D's I plucked from the recycle bucket at work, of that it ran at full power for less than 8 hours on the cells, so they were pretty much dead already, before starting the 3 week decline. I'm impressed.

next up, runtime from 10Ah Tenergy D's.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 3 of them. 2 in Rayovac brand (thanks to Morepower) and 1 directly from the manufacturer. This is the best D cell LED lantern I ever got, good runtime, brighter than any LED based lantern regardless of LED type and cell size and the best of all, it's artifact free.

Alan

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone else is interested these lanterns, PM me. I'll beat that Ebay price.

Kudos to MorePower for helping me out in getting a couple of the RayoVac lanterns.

I wanted to get a two as part of our Texas Gulf Coast personal emergency preparedness for things like hurricanes (one for my family, one for Dad and Mom), so I contacted him about them. Then, right after I contacted him, lo and behold -- Hurricane Gustav rears its head as a potential threat (only a roll of the dice, but a potential threat). MorePower made sure the lanterns we wanted got sent out in time for me to get them for any hurricane party that might be necessary. He went out of his way to send them early (something he didn't have to do by any means), and that was a heck of a nice gesture. The chance that we will actually need them is slim, but it it turns out we need them in the short term, they're going to be appreciated.

So, MorePower -- thanks for helping out a fellow CPF member. :thumbsup:

crisg

Newly Enlightened
Is there any chance to get this lantern for me,from manufacturer,Alan?!
Morepower doesn't answer on pm,and I really want to have this toy!!!
Please!Thanks!

Kremer

Enlightened
As a result of the winds here in Ohio on Sunday our power was out for about 40 hours. I used my L2D to walk around with and my two lanterns for general room lighting, high was more than plenty to light up the whole room for the family, and low on the nightstand was enough for my wife to read her book before turning in for the night. these are outstanding little lanterns. I had to pry them out of my daughters hands (3 and 5 years) so we could keep a room lit, they loved carrying them around the house by the bail, I'm sure it looked like close enounters from the street as they ran in circles around the house with the lanterns swinging.

Last edited:

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any chance to get this lantern for me,from manufacturer,Alan?!
Morepower doesn't answer on pm,and I really want to have this toy!!!
Please!Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I don't think that the manufacturer would ship retail qty overseas.

Alan

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 3 of them. 2 in Rayovac brand (thanks to Morepower) and 1 directly from the manufacturer. This is the best D cell LED lantern I ever got, good runtime, brighter than any LED based lantern regardless of LED type and cell size and the best of all, it's artifact free.

Alan

Alan, can you confirm with respect to the construction of the unit, its overall physical appearance, and the quality/tint of the output that the Rayovac and Gentos are different labels for the same beast? I am tempted by the Rayovac here http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(lwzhb0554jnocnrwxqcoof45)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=3257912

or here

http://www.batteryjunction.com/se3dln.html

but don't want to get one if it is not "warm white." :thinking:

Last edited:

ichoderso

Enlightened
Hi, I am also very interested on this Lantern.
All the pictures i have ever seen, only the Gentos is "warm white" the pictures from Rayovac shows all "cool white"
Can anyone confirm that?? or Alan?

and anyone know a dealer who is shipping to germany?

Alan, can you tell us the Manufacturer in China? Maybe it's possible to make a contact between the manufacturer and KD or DX...??

Hope, you can understand me, I know, my english is very bad:-((

Jens from germany

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the globe design would diffuse the light, can anyone with the Rayovac version confirm this? Not sure if I'm describing this right, but my hopes are it will not be blinding or annoying, a more diffused light, although I realize it seems like it is very high powered.

Kremer

Enlightened
It does diffuse the light quite well. But looking at the thing at night is still quite a lot like staring into a lightbulb. It's pretty bright and the diffuser isn't that big, so it is still quite a point source.