Where to get small run plastic parts made?

havand

Enlightened
Where do you guys get small run plastic parts made? I tried one place where you do up the design then check the pricing and it was rather astronomical. Much higher than the metal parts in the flashlight. Any suggestions?

Torque1st

Enlightened
"Small run" and "plastic" are words that don't go together.

Almost any local injection molder will be able to recommend a prototype tooling shop. Unfortunately the initial tooling cost even for aluminum tooling is astronomical. Setup on an injection machine with a new mold is a considerable part of the cost of the parts. Exotic materials add cost. There are CAD-CAM based prototype services but those parts are made of a special UV cure polymer.

havand

Enlightened
I've been slowly realizing this. So, how do all these small time manufacturer's afford to put stuff out? The problem is I only want about 100 or so parts at a time, at least at first. Can't afford more right now. It seems you have to get up into the 1000s for the price of the mold to be absorbed into the parts. I'd hate to have the pieces made of aluminum, even though it would be cheaper, because of the weight.

Torque1st

Enlightened
When you are talking plastic parts 1,000's are the minimum. Better deals can be had in Asia for local manufacturers but if you are from the US or Europe you have to be talking multiple 10,000 orders.

The rapid prototyping setups are the CAD-CAM systems with the UV polymer.

For short run plastic parts machining is the only viable way to go. Unfortunately surface finish etc is not as good as molded parts.

Secondary operations like metalizing are expensive also.

havand

Enlightened
Well, I wouldn't be opposed to machining, I was just hoping the plastic parts would be a good bit cheaper than the metal ones. You get spoiled by mass produced plastic parts without even realizing it.

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you still need some in 3 months contact me. I'm in the process of setting up a small run shop. We've got 2 jobs lined up so far. We've got about 6 years of experience in injection molding of all types on small/medium parts.

If you need me, use PM. I doubt I will check this thread again.

I will run you the parts for a separate charge from mold charges.

lotsaluck

Newly Enlightened
A lot depends on how intricate your part is. There are alternatives such as having a multi cavity mold made and use a castable plastic or urethane to produce the parts in small runs. I make molds for guys all the time for pouring plastics and most 2-pc aluminum molds run under $200.00. If you can give me an idea of the part I'll see if its doable?

havand

Enlightened
I was looking at making a custom battery carrier to hold 3 or 4 CR123 batteries. Probably about 1.5 inches wide and just taller than the batteries themselves.

Torque1st

Enlightened
Plastic pipe, or check the aquarium supply stores for plastic tubing. A person could also vacuum form simple parts easily. Small plastic boxes can also be purchased from electronic supply houses and craft stores.