Which currently available Eneloop battery do you prefer, and why?

entercpf

Newly Enlightened
The Eneloop quick chargers are nice, simple and gets the job done. However avoid at all cost the other version (slow charger), usually cheaper but man, it takes more than 8 hours to charge a set of batteries...

markr6

Flashaholic
The Eneloop quick chargers are nice, simple and gets the job done. However avoid at all cost the other version (slow charger), usually cheaper but man, it takes more than 8 hours to charge a set of batteries...

Yeah, I even stopped using my BC700. It nice, but I don't need to know how much charge was put into the cells each time. I use my MH-C801D every time; can't imagine using anything else now. 1A, 2A, 8 slots. Done!

It also occured to me I haven't used a light with AA/AAA in months! Only 18650 seems to make sense anymore given the size. Still a lot of eneloops in remotes, toys and all the other common household items.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got Eneloop XX's that Ive been using for a year and they still ALL hold charge for freaking ever and can truly give all they can before they give out. Ive read on this site where the Eneloop Pro series actually rated just above 2600mah which is well above listed rating. Idk how Eneloop does it I truly do not. Just the standard Eneloop's alone are amazing enough but the XX/Pro's hold a good percentage more and hold it just as well as the standard Eneloop's which to me is impressive as hell seeing as the only other high mah rated AA that I consider buying are Imedion AA's as long as their cheap they are just as good as either just dont hold as much as the XX/Pro

realista

Enlightened
i make this simple choice......because i think it is OPTIMAL:
A) for AAA i buy the "lite" version at 600mah.... because as you know, item powered by AAA generally do not drain so much power. for example little gadgets,remote,little flashlight keychain (i u want a nice powered one just buy a 10440),bluetooth gadgets/keyboards...............
B) for AA i buy the XX/pro version because i noticed most times AA are used in high drain devices, or in series/parallel in most flashlight,radio,stereo speakers, and gadgets with "medium" ampere drain. Nowdays every item is powered with AA( C and D disappearing) so it is optimal to have the best MAH capacity possible. --- in just rare cases wall clocks uses AA instead AAA and if it is so.... i prefer to buy a cheap ultracheap alkaline, i found some LOWCOST alkaline in old clocks ( purchased 8, 10 years ago) to be still 1,38v...1,4v... so would be useless to buy a RECHARGEABLE ONE just to put it in a wall clock for 5/10 years!!! i think batteries are similars to CARS...... if you stop them for too loong time, they become bad,blocked,low performance.....respecting one used more often.

in definitive, AA --> PRO/XX and AAA ---> "lite" version.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about. 2nd gen Eneloops are rated for 1500 cycles, even more for later gens. Even if you charged your batteries almost every day, it would take years before they wore out. It's not like they're very expensive to replace if/when they finally do die. Charge them at 50%, or 80%, or 20%. It won't matter in the long-run. Just charge them whenever it's convenient.

I prefer to charge them at 40-50% just to be on the safe side, even with having the 2100 cycle ones i look for longevity but i also look for other uses so chances are 16AA Eneloops will change to 32AA and so forth so i'm for the 2000mAh / 2100cycle use. Heck, i still use my derelict Energizers and Rayovac batteries from the days of cheap timer and pair chargers that work just fine for remotes just charge and throw them in a remote as needed.

As for the XX Eneloops, never used them but currently i got a 4 pack 2400mAh Duracell Ioncore and a 2300mAh Energizer ones (i got because they were the only batteries that fit in my 2AA Maglite at the time). If i need to replace the Duracells i'll get a pack of XX Eneloops but for now the 2000mAh Eneloops work for me, if i need higher mAh that i go through all the time i'll probably use the HSD such as Imedian or PowerEx. I would probably use XX Eneloops (or the Duracells) for emergency LSDs if i manage to use up all my regular Eneloops juice before the power goes back on. The only thing i wished Eneloop/Panasonic had was dual AA to D enclosures instead of the single ones, i end up having to buy some cheapo off brand that would most likely break over time.

As of right now i don't need any new batteries i just have been using Eneloops or my older Duracells (from 2004-2006) which i could replace since the highest ones are currently at 1300mAh (which i use for flashlights, PC mouse, or radio/cd player) but like i said i'm going for longevity not how much power i can get out of one battery. I still have yet to replace my Energizer AAA's (2006) too which are in fairly good condition.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
...The only thing i wished Eneloop/Panasonic had was dual AA to D enclosures instead of the single ones, i end up having to buy some cheapo off brand that would most likely break over time...<snip>

You might consider these 3xAA-->D adapters which are available on eBay for about $2.99 each "Buy it Now." I purchased four of them (just in case) even though I don't currently have any applications that require D cells. (I decided that they were cheap enough, so I might was well be prepared for the day when someone asks me "Don't you have any D cells?")

Best I can tell, they are structurally sound and should not break too easily. As far as electrical properties, perhaps someone else (with better know-how and equipment) should test them again for resistance, but according to my cheap multimeter, they seem fine. The fact that they use 3xAA is an obvious advantage. If you use 3x Eneloop Pros, you will have a capacity around 7350 mAh.

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider these 3xAA-->D adapters which are available on eBay for about $2.99 each "Buy it Now." I purchased four of them (just in case) even though I don't currently have any applications that require D cells. (I decided that they were cheap enough, so I might was well be prepared for the day when someone asks me "Don't you have any D cells?")

Best I can tell, they are structurally sound and should not break too easily. As far as electrical properties, perhaps someone else (with better know-how and equipment) should test them again for resistance, but according to my cheap multimeter, they seem fine. The fact that they use 3xAA is an obvious advantage. If you use 3x Eneloop Pros, you will have a capacity around 7350 mAh.

Nice! Yeah i'd get more run time out of 3AA, i'm familiar with the design because i got a Dorcy LED flashlight and one of these portable automotive LED light that run on 3AA with similar casings that you showed me. So far i only got one application that needs 2D which is a LED Maglite which i got 8 hours from 4AA basic Eneloops. I'm definitely going to order some of these. 7350mAh sounds nice. If i got the 2700mAh PowerEx batteries i'd get around 8100mAh though they are HSD but i hear is good for everyday use. Thanks again for that link these will be useful.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Granted, the initial investment cost is very different: perhaps even double, in some markets (and that investment cost could be a serious obstacle for some people). But, over the long run, if you can afford to make the "investment," the price difference between the two battery types quickly becomes highly trivial, it seems to me.
^^ That's what I'm talking about. I like my coffee black, like my eneloops. ... :D ...

[ I've got white, and forest tones, and... ]

Latest posts